April 20, 2024, 08:52:28 AM

News:

Fly By Wire??

Started by Ironpig9, September 15, 2019, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironpig9

:scratch: Purchased a 2013 Deluxe this spring with the Fly-By-Wire throttle. Still not used to it. The throttle seems to be overly sensitive and takes little twisting to rev it up. Slow speed driving is hard as the bike seems to lug/jerk slightly in first and second gear when not running up thru the gears. Trying to just ease along is difficult. Is this the result of the crappy compensator the Co. installed or is there something going on with the FBW throttle? All prior experience has been on my '01 Ultra and '02 RK (both which are as smooth as silk going slow). Input appreciated.
"The road goes on forever...."

Ohio HD

My first thought is, this bike is geared higher than your older bikes, and a six speed is also geared differently. And the riding style you had may not fit this bike. I had no problem when going to TBW, other than a bit touchy, I got used to that in a few days.

Of course I'm assuming that this bike is bone stock, not been played with. If its been played with, tuned, cams, etc, could be lots of things.

dirty jim

Mine felt just the opposite, throttle felt like you had to twist it a quarter turn (Exaggeration) for some thing to happen. I think I read that one of the after market tuners would let you adjust it?

Norton Commando

Quote from: dirty jim on September 16, 2019, 02:57:01 AM
I think I read that one of the after market tuners would let you adjust it?

Yes, the Vance and Hines Fuelpak provides for adjustment in throttle response and I'm sure other tuner will, too.

Jason 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Rockout Rocker Products

Powervision will do it, at least on the Rushmores. I think they call it "throttle blade control".
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rigidthumper

UM- did the 13 FLSTN Deluxe come with FBW TB? I thought those were cable drive. The 2014 CVO Deluxe had TBW.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tomcat64

I was wonder the same,, I don't thnk FBW came until 2017 on softails.. except the CVO ones.

PoorUB

Ronnies shows throttle cables on a 2013 Deluxe.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

roadkingdresser

Does it by chance have a upgrade on the cam? my roadking with the stage 4 kit isn't good at low speeds.
roadkingdresser

Ironpig9

:doh: Thanks RigidThumper and PoorUB. A check of the cables adjustments is in order.
"The road goes on forever...."

C#

I have a '14. I hated TBW the instant I got on the bike. I can offer three comments:

1. I bought the bike to go long distance and you can't beat electronic cruise control when you get up in years and are susceptible to hand cramps.

2. The design is a P.O.S. The problem is actually >sensitivity that is too low<. The incremental steps in reading the hand grip position are too few. Move the hand grip a little move the rpms alot. If there were more 'points' of reference each movement of the hand grip would have a lesser effect on the RPMs. HD could graduate the number of points of reference so that if you wanted to accelerate quickly a larger turn would cause quicker acceleration. This, of course, costs money.

3. I would imagine that the piggyback fuel control modules could make this problem better. If you ride on lousy roads like I do you would appreciate this much more... every bump in the road varies the RPM's. I have also found out that if there is too much variability in the grip's position relative to the hand control (it moves further off the handlebar) you should tighten the grip up by moving the entire hand control assembly further in on the handle bar). I did have this problem which improved the problem noticeably.

Let us know if you find out a really good solution. My solution is after I cover the remaining 7 states on my bucket list of the lower 48 I am going to buy an '06 or '07 dyna.

SmokyOwl

I'm very happy my 2006 fatboy doesn't have the fly-by-wire throttle, but are there newer bikes that don't as well?
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

skunk

Quote from: C# on September 17, 2019, 08:38:03 AM

1. I bought the bike to go long distance and you can't beat electronic cruise control when you get up in years and are susceptible to hand cramps.

A little off topic but will just throw this in for S&G. Just about to turn 60 and found that running long days in the saddle I turn the heated grips on(Low to Med) and helps to keep my old beat up hands loose. Yes even on hot summer days, helps a bunch for me,YMMV

1Techno

13 Deluxe is run by Cables.

PoorUB

Quote from: 1Techno on September 26, 2019, 12:40:09 PM
13 Deluxe is run by Cables.

Thanks, we confirmed that 10 days ago. :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Langwilliams

IMO there's only one good thing about TBW an it's no ugly throttle cables handing off the bars.