March 28, 2024, 03:18:31 PM

News:

Touring model oil pan interchange

Started by flht1550, August 14, 2019, 02:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

Can anyone tell me if a Twin Cam oil pan will fit a earlier  Evo. FLHT touring model that has the same under transmission oil tank or are they completely different.I'm wanting to install this transmission in my FXR project and was interested in knowing if one of the deviant fabrication Twin Cam conversion oil pans they sell would work if I suddenly won the lottery. Or if I was looking for a pan to modify.

PC_Hater

All of the part numbers for the early Twin Cam transmission cases and gaskets and what have you are -99 so the short answer is no.
However, Mr Bodgy the bodger is capable of making anything fit anything...

You can't beat holding a -99 gasket next to a -93 gasket. The differences might be so minor you know you can get away with it.
Or so major you had better be a really good welder.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on August 14, 2019, 02:56:27 PM
Can anyone tell me if a Twin Cam oil pan will fit a earlier  Evo. FLHT touring model that has the same under transmission oil tank or are they completely different.I'm wanting to install this transmission in my FXR project and was interested in knowing if one of the deviant fabrication Twin Cam conversion oil pans they sell would work if I suddenly won the lottery. Or if I was looking for a pan to modify.

Your question is somewhat skewed and not clear. I have a Deviant Fab oil pan, actually helped with the design of it and did the form, fit and function test for Joe on one of my bikes. I think what you are asking is if you can use the DF oil pan on an FL transmission with an EVO engine in an FXR frame. The answer is no. I have tried.

Instead of looking at part numbers and guessing, look at the different oil pans. Ebay is a good source for imagery. After looking at the oem and DF oil pans , and the frame, a light bulb should go off in your head.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ecir50

Quote from: turboprop on August 14, 2019, 07:37:31 PMI think what you are asking is if you can use the DF oil pan on an FL transmission with an EVO engine in an FXR frame. The answer is no. I have tried.

Is it a bolt in no but with mods I am using a DF in my FXR with evo and FL trans.

turboprop

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

flht1550

Now I'm confused , After asking this question on the forum I also sent a email to Deviant with the same question as to is there Twin Cam oil pans with fit the Earlier model touring model bikes and their reply back to me this morning was yes they Will fit. They said that they were designed to fit 1988-2016 models. They made no mention of any modifications that would be necessary to it for any of the different model year applications

PoorUB

I would trust Turbo on this. He likes playing  with FXR's.

The pan might  fit the trans, but will  it fit the FXR frame?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ecir50

Quote from: flht1550 on August 15, 2019, 06:00:09 AM
Now I'm confused , After asking this question on the forum I also sent a email to Deviant with the same question as to is there Twin Cam oil pans with fit the Earlier model touring model bikes and their reply back to me this morning was yes they Will fit. They said that they were designed to fit 1988-2016 models. They made no mention of any modifications that would be necessary to it for any of the different model year applications

They told me the same, shitty customer serve. I made it work can post pic details on this later from home computer if you like, the mods could have been performed in their design just are not. What they are saying is it will bolt up to the evo FL tranny.

ecir50

Quote from: PoorUB on August 15, 2019, 07:03:24 AM
I would trust Turbo on this. He likes playing  with FXR's.

The pan might  fit the trans, but will  it fit the FXR frame?

fits the evo FL trans and unmodified FXR frame, the problem is the plumbing.

flht1550

I'd be interested in seeing what you needed to mod. to make work in the FXR frame. Thanks

turboprop

The DF pan has a suction tube with a port that canoe accessed from the front of the pan. The problem is to use this port two things must be done; 1) the internal suction hole where it meets the trans case must be plugged. This is easy. 2) The plug in the end go the suction tube must be removed and a fitting installed. This is harder as the FXR cross member is right in front of this area and does not have room for a fitting of any sort.

The other course of action to use this pan is to drill and tap the rear/right side area of the sump for a fitting. I had Joe add additional material to this area of the wall to allow for this. The problem here is clearance between the sump and the frame, but also getting the oil line from the rear of the frame to the engine. To do this, the oil line must snake around/through the rear master cylinder, exhuast mounts, right side foot control, transmission, etc. I hove done it. Didnt like it, and in the end wound up putting my eco style FXR trans and oem FXR oil tank back in the bike. I tried. Made it work but it was so messy and I didnt like how close the hot oil line was to the rear master cylinder.  There was also very little clearance between the fitting in the pan and the frame. I was very concerned with the fitting contacting the frame during operation and damaging the connection between the fitting and oil tank. There was also an issue with maintenance. The fitting/limited sort of prevented or limited the ability to lower the front of the engine. For me this was a deal breaker as not going into the rear rocker box from time to time is simply not an option. Draining the oil and removing that fitting every time I did top end maintenance was not sustainable.

But dont take my word for it. Do it yourself. Thats how learning occurs.

ecir50

August 15, 2019, 07:42:16 PM #12 Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:10:33 PM by ecir50
Here is what I did.

Basically what Turbo said above minus the clearance to the crossmember.

check back to this post will edit it to add descriptions to pics sometime tomorrow, long day. 

ecir50

Quote from: ecir50 on August 15, 2019, 07:42:16 PM
Here is what I did.

Tapped hole for tc pickup to accept 1/2 npt plug. notice the hole on the face was drilled and tapped to accept a 1/2 npt to 3/8 npt reducer bushing to accept the factory 3/8 npt to 3/8 barb 90 degree fitting (16304-87). Did it this way cause df had a metric threaded plug in that location.

drilled and tapped right rear corner to accept npt fitting. chose not to use that location as the feed due to what turbo described above, wasn't crazy about the path.

90 degree fitting in second pic above in relation to kickstand crossmember

upper 90 degree fitting in housing goes to oil filter. lower fitting goes to 90 degree fitting on face of pan for oil feed, notice two fitting used here one 90 street and one 45 street. 

next two pics are vent for motor tranny.

ecir50

Same as hose routing in manual for 98 FLHT.

flht1550

Thanks ecir59 and Turbo for your pictures and you inputs on this topic. looking at the DF picture of there pan would tell me that the pan would not be able to be removed while in the bike. I have also looked at pictures of the 124 Twin cam FXR project of nosjunkie and he shares pictures of his custom modified oil pan. his pan looks to have a deeper rear sump and would be able to remove while in the bike. What are your thoughts on this modified pan. looks good to my eye

FSG

Quote from: ecir50 on August 16, 2019, 09:52:02 AM
Same as hose routing in manual for 98 FLHT.

keep in mind that almost all of the manuals have drawings that are incorrect in the way they show the oil lines IN and OUT of the Oil Filter

ecir50

yes when holding that filter assembly in hand with the hard lines you can see why the drawing was drawn that way, it is deceiving.

Just always remember.

FSG

QuoteJust always remember.

:up:   IN on the OUT and OUT on the IN

david lee

Quote from: FSG on August 17, 2019, 10:43:28 PM
QuoteJust always remember.

:up:   IN on the OUT and OUT on the IN
another good post fsg