March 28, 2024, 10:54:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

#!$%&* Softail rocker boxes

Started by JW113, August 14, 2019, 07:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

OK me brethern, I need some advice.

The original rocker boxes on this '92 softail of mine were totally blistered chrome, looked like hell. So I bought some (what looked good in the ad) used ones from ebay. And now, especially the front one, leaks like a sumbuvabitch. (can I say that?) I've replaced the gaskets three time now, last time just this past weekend. And still, leaking. My conclusion is that these fricken rocker boxes are bad, warped, came from some unethical unclean filthy basterd's bike who sold them on ebay, and now.. here we are.

So my question to all'a y'alls: Are any of the aftermarket rocker boxes worth a crap? Or do they all come warped from the ~ factory they were made in, and are bound to leak as well? As in, Drag Spec, Bikers Choice, etc. Worth it? Not? Does anybody make stuff worth paying for? Please advise!

:banghead:

Muchas gracias,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Is your question specific to softail rocker boxes, I was not aware the EVO softails had model specific rocker boxes. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

rageglide

Over tightening the tops sqoushes the d-rings out of position.   Pretty sure there is not a single year that's vulnerable outside of hamfisting.  Maybe a billet top can handle a bit more, but I'm sure it force the d-ring to move/

IMO replace with OEM gaskets (not jamessucksshit) and go easy AF with the torque... as in little to none. 

JW113

EVO sotfails are not specific. Any Evo rocker box is likely to have similar issues.

Bob: your response is certainly valid. Over-torque can be the source of this issue. Just not sure what to do at this point. Try yet another set of gaskets and try not to over-torqued them (not that you can get a torque wrench in there), or assume the boxes are no good and start fresh? I would love to have a set of virgin rocker boxes and try to start anew, but is that really the solution? I just don't trust this 25+ year old crap.  Is there a new production rocker box that's worth a try?

-JW

koko3052

How about trying to touch them up on a flat plate, a sheet of fine emery cloth & some cooking oil? I do that to heads every time they are removed.

Buglet

Are they OEM boxes or aftermarket, if aftermarket some they take thicker gaskets as the original won't seal right.

SixShooter14

Quote from: koko3052 on August 14, 2019, 08:57:40 PM
How about trying to touch them up on a flat plate, a sheet of fine emery cloth & some cooking oil? I do that to heads every time they are removed.
I'd go with this. I bet they just aren't as flat as they oughta be.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Ohio HD

ahhh, pry open that wallet and buy some OEM covers. Only $281.97 for one set (one head).       :smilep:

17528-92 ROCKER COVER, OUTER (CHROME)  $87.99

17529-92 SPACER, ROCKER COVERS (CHROME)  $70.49

17530-92 ROCKER COVER, INNER (CHROME)  $123.49

wfolarry

I put S&S 2 piece covers on mine. never leaked again.

turboprop

Quote from: JW113 on August 14, 2019, 08:38:40 PM
EVO sotfails are not specific. Any Evo rocker box is likely to have similar issues.

Not sure why you titled the thread softail rocker boxes. I was hoping to learn about some unique softail parts.

Not all evo rocker boxes are the same. The early ones used cork seals between the various layers. The later ones used rubber seals. Components between the two types can physically be interchanged but will not seal. Same with the seals, rubber seals cannot be used in covers designed for cork.

Lapping them will only work on the bottom sides as the upper side has channels for the seals.

Alignment can also be an issue as the middle layer sort of floats and is really only held in position by the clamping force between the base and top covers. With the tolerance in the mounting holes, it is possible to have the top, middle and base layers in just the right position that the seals are barely touching their mating surfaces. Some assemblers will use tapered alignment pins in a couple of the holes to center the top piece, etc.

I have billet and cast EVO rocker boxes from S&S. They each have their good and bad points. The billet ones are a major pain in the ass to work on. Especially with a tall engine in a little FXR frame. The top bolts on the rear left side are the worse. On the positive side, their internal supports are two pieces which makes getting everything in and out easy as everything can go in one piece at a time. The cast S&S boxes are a bit easier as the top bolts are accessible from the outer edge vs being in the middle of the cover. Their internal supports are similar to the TC design and a little harder to get in and out of the rear cylinder.

cheech

Get your originals replated?  :scratch:

rageglide

JW you have a set of bare covers, you could have em chromed... but I would think there's a good chance that might not work out so good.  Probably better off polishing them on your buffer.

As far as the interchange comments go, grab an evo engine out of any chassis from 1984+ and the f'er will bolt right up in any chassis.  Period.

Remove .050-070" off the heads and it makes rear rocker box easier to remove on a softail.

I put updated H-D rubber gaskets in my '86 with zero issues. It had cork/rubber gaskets when I swapped em out.  IMO the trick and key to leak free rocker box is zero oil on the gasket.  Wash em with brake clean when you could buy the chit, otherwise remove ALL oil and you're going to be ok.  Any oil on the rubbers cause them to move around.

Ironheadmike

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 15, 2019, 06:48:16 AM
ahhh, pry open that wallet and buy some OEM covers. Only $281.97 for one set (one head).       :smilep:

17528-92 ROCKER COVER, OUTER (CHROME)  $87.99

17529-92 SPACER, ROCKER COVERS (CHROME)  $70.49

17530-92 ROCKER COVER, INNER (CHROME)  $123.49
Can you still get them from HD ?

Ohio HD

Well, the pricing comes from HD online, so I'd say yes.

[attach=0,msg1311641]

JW113

Yes, absolutely, Softail rocker box gaskets are different from all the other Evo rocker box gaskets. Softails are poser bikes, all show and no go. Therefore, the gaskets used in Softails are color coordinated to the bike's paint scheme. Blue bikes get blue gaskets, red bikes get red gaskets, and so on. And not just the rocker boxes, but ALL the gaskets used in the engine and transmission. It's a style thing. Why else ride a Softail if not because it's stylish?

And here I thought this was common knowledge.

-JW

astropi

The surfaces must be meticulously cleaned, put a piece of cellophane in between to keep them clean, tighten slowly, evenly, and don't over torque. I got to do these 4 or 5 times until I figured this out. The MOCO gaskets are fine.

Tacocaster

OR....similar to what rageglide suggests...but different, how about relieving the blistered chrome off the originals and spray 'em with a nice flat (or gloss, to your taste) wrinkle black paint? I did a set for the same reason and they came out quite nice - or so I thought.
Like this:
You cannot see attachments on this board.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

turboprop

guido4198

WHATEVER solution you decide to go with...use a big piece of glass to verify that the rocker box pieces are FLAT, not already warped before you try to get them to seal up. When I went through a similar effort to stop "seeping" in mine, James gaskets and very careful tightening/torqueing solved the problem for me. Others may work just as good but James were what I went with.

Deye76

Cometic gaskets worked well when I had my stock (1992) rocker covers off for powder coating a couple years ago.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ironheadmike

I've owned Evo softail bikes for well over 30 years and never had a problem with the covers . As long as you torque them down properly and the middle piece is aligned correctly. I've found that the Hd gaskets lay the best for the rocker covers.

SixShooter14

I know this is an old discussion... But, I've fixed the box weeping on a Softail and a Road King. proper installation/torqueing and getting the engine up to temp have always kept the leaks from returning for me.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Ironheadmike

Quote from: JW113 on August 16, 2019, 08:46:31 PMYes, absolutely, Softail rocker box gaskets are different from all the other Evo rocker box gaskets. Softails are poser bikes, all show and no go. Therefore, the gaskets used in Softails are color coordinated to the bike's paint scheme. Blue bikes get blue gaskets, red bikes get red gaskets, and so on. And not just the rocker boxes, but ALL the gaskets used in the engine and transmission. It's a style thing. Why else ride a Softail if not because it's stylish?

And here I thought this was common knowledge.

-JW
I have never seen color coordinated gaskets all gaskets from 84-99 will work fine if you do proper torque

xlfan

March 23, 2023, 10:57:34 PM #23 Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:11:28 AM by FSG
Quoteall gaskets from 84-99 will work fine if you do proper torque
There was a time that only OEM rubber rocker box gasket was your only sure way to a leakfree EVO rocker box. I have since stayed with that. Maybe aftermarket gasket have improved? Would be interesting to hear from up to date real world experience.

Reddog74usa

Never had an issue using the OEM rubber gaskets.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT