March 28, 2024, 04:55:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

mousetrap differences

Started by Dave_R, August 15, 2019, 06:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_R

Hi Guys,
Putting together a '60 from a pile of parts.  I have several different mousetraps, two are aluminum, and one is cast iron or something.  They look similar, but I am curious..... does anyone know what the differences are between a cast iron one and an aluminum one is??

Is one better than the other, or perhaps from different years?

Thanks in advance, and any info is highly appreciated!

- Dave

Excalibur

+1 keen to learn and hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

58Tin

when first introduced in late 51/early 52 bikes were equipped with a prototype cast steel bracket-sometime in early 52 the change was made to cast aluminum for the rest of mousetrap production.

Dave_R

Thanks for the update!  When I looked closer, I realized why I put the cast iron one in the shelf...... the tab where the cable goes into has a small chunk broken off, so the cable does not stay in there.  It will need to be fixed somehow.  I had forgotten about that when I took it off my '53.

Anyways, it looks like the aluminum one is the winner for this bike for now.

Thanks for the education!
-Dave

Hillside Motorcycle

I will add, when adjusted correctly, those are actually a dream.
Super smooth, and 2 finger operation.
I've put over 50,000 miles on my 1967 FLH (last year of the hand booster/mousetrap).
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on September 09, 2019, 04:28:16 AM
I will add, when adjusted correctly, those are actually a dream.
Super smooth, and 2 finger operation.
I've put over 50,000 miles on my 1967 FLH (last year of the hand booster/mousetrap).

A friend of mine had one, he had never serviced it or lubed the cables in over ten years or more. I got after it with some lube and adjustment, he was shocked at how well it worked. Before service, I don't know how he could ride it or that the cable didn't break, it must have been a 50 pound pull.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

Yes, those can be a real bear if not serviced. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"