March 28, 2024, 02:23:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

juice brake line routine

Started by Dave_R, August 15, 2019, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_R

Hi Guys again,

I am in process of putting together a '60 from boxes of parts.  I have it mostly assembled.  Being that this is my first swingarm bike, I cannot figure out the routing of the hard brake line that goes from the frame tab (where the flex line connects) to the "tee" where the switch is located.  It looks like there is not much room for a hard line without hitting the primary cover.  Also, it just does not "look right" with the line on the top of the primary cover.  Is this how they all are?

I would like to re-locate the switch and "Tee" to below the transmission mount, so that it is near the oil pressure switch like the newer bikes have, but routing around the chain and sprocket is a challenge.  has anyone done this?  and if so, can you give advice, pictures, etc?....

This is going to be a rider, and does not necessarily need to be "correct" for the year.

Thanks in advance.  All comment are welcome.

- Dave

Excalibur

Pics of my '61 attached. I had to renew that pipe because a previous owner had used a compression fitting midway. Nothing to it. I don't know exactly how they originally were. Mine has no clips to the frame.. Hope this helps.
[attach=0,msg1311497]
[attach=1,msg1311497]

Dave_R

Ahh.... Thanks for the Pictures.  Now I see that it goes down underneath the primary.  This helps ALOT.

I am bending my own line from a piece of tubing I got from my local auto parts store.

-Dave

HogMike

My stock brake line had a sort of curve under the frame area and was covered with a thick rubber hose. I'm not sure if it was oem but was on the bike when I bought it in 1970.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Excalibur

Yes, I bent my own from steel tubing too. Easy job. I have the proper gear to flare the ends. Some rubber hose as protection is an interesting idea (which I didn't do). My line runs along the inside of the primary cover screw tabs so it's quite snug between them and the frame... and well out of harms way.

Dave_R

Thanks for the replies!  I did bend and flare my own tubing.  Boy, that first bend is tight..... I had to do it several times before I got one that fit.  Oh well, at least the tubing is cheap!

Thanks again
-Dave