May 06, 2024, 07:01:21 PM

News:

Odd issue with Baker 1.5qt oil pan

Started by scott7d, August 24, 2019, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott7d

I have a Baker +1.5 oil pan. Even with just 4 quarts of oil, it reads perfectly full. Are these oil pans known for possibly not draining oil all the way?

Curious to read what experiences other +1.5 owners may have.

Thank you!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

TN

When I change oil in my TC with the +1.5 oil pan I put 4 qts in, it shows at the marks I made on dipstick using the OEM at about 1/2 qt below full after filter change and warmed up.

That's all I got

Just Ride..........

les

I have the SE high capacity oil pan (5 1/2 quarts).  I put 4 1/2 quarts of oil in after the oil change and that's about right for full.

scott7d

In the past, I have done 5 quarts and it has shown right on the full mark. I have since dialed back so it doesn't come out of my oil cap breather (A1 Cycles units), which the instructions for that say to leave room about 4-5 dots down on the dip stick to prevent oil from discharging out of the filter.

This time around I tried 4 quarts, and it's showing full exactly where 5 previously did. And I had oil puking out that oil cap breather pretty badly when running 80mph in 6th gear for a few hours. The only thing I can think of is I didn't get a good drain prior to the oil change and there was residual oil. When draining the old oil, the bike was hot and we let it sit and drain for 30 minutes. I got a little insight from a friend who asked about the bike being on the side stand prior to the drain and encouraged me to keep the bike upright for scavenging purposes. I probably didn't paraphrase that well but will give it a try next time.

Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

TN

correction to my previous post. It takes 4.5 qt to reach my marks on the dipstick which is approx .5 qt below the full line.

Just Ride..........