May 05, 2024, 07:49:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

twin cam highflow cam plate and oil pump

Started by tc1550, August 19, 2019, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc1550

when are one or both of these items needed ? is stock ok for most builds ?

turboprop

Quote from: tc1550 on August 19, 2019, 11:20:42 AM
when are one or both of these items needed ? is stock ok for most builds ?

The way this is worded you will receive mostly opinionated responses.

FWIW, Ron Dickey (Owner Axtell) and Dan Baisley (Owner Baisley Performance) set a world record at Bonneville using an oem pump and plate.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tdrglide

I once tried to use a se high flow oil pump I had with a stock 09 cam support plate. Had trouble building proper oil pressure at startup on cold days. Usually 40f or below. Would only get up to around 15-20psi. After a few miles pressure would come up to normal for stock support plate. Never made any unusual noise.Took it back apart and noticed the port openings on the stock support plate are smaller/longer than on the se pump. Installed a se support plate and problem went away. Except for higher oil pressure than I like.
That was all done around 09 or 10. That motor now has a s&s three stage set.

tdrglide

Correction. Port openings were smaller/shorter on stock 09 support plate than the se high flow oil pump. Tred one of those axtel oil bypass spring setups. Did not help.

les

The way to determine this is to use the Feuling tool to measure the pop off pressure and inefficiently bleed off of the cam plate in question.  I've measured even a Feuling cam plate that was a bit off (producing too high pressure) and it may require tapping the pressure relief piston to seat it better.  Get the tool, go to your workbench with the specific cam plate, and measure.  Fix if required with either tapping the piston of getting a better Zippers piston and you may also need to seat that piston too.

Sometimes there is nothing really wrong with the cam plate that can't be fixed.