March 28, 2024, 06:33:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ohlins FKC 102 cartridge

Started by 96 F450, August 18, 2019, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

96 F450

I have a 2015 FLTRXS and am contemplating Ohlins fkc 102 cartridges up front, been searching but not much on the fkc 102's.
I found a thread by member Maddo-Snr about what he did to some Ohlins fkc 100's (changed the shim stack) and is happy but like he said he has some rough roads to travel.

I know the fkc 100 is for a 41 mm fork but used it as an example how a guy made it to his liking.

So has anybody used the ohlins fkc 102's right out of the box? Are you satisfied? or is there a modification done before the initial install?

That's a lot of questions but I'm just thinking out loud any knowledge on this subject is greatly appreciated.

harpwrench

Just changing the oil made a big improvement in my '16 ultra, I did it at 25k and used SE heavy. Then again at 50k, the oil was much cleaner the second time. My brother did the legends kit on his '14 and mine rides smoother, his might be better for a canyon type rider. Another option is pro action's kit, I might do that down the road: http://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits

96 F450

Thanks for your reply I know the stock service interval for my bike is 50,000. miles the fkc 102 is 20,000. km or 12,300. miles.
Still looking to here from some fkc 102 owners.

96 F450

Thanks to everyone who has checked out this topic, I have found info on other brand cartridges just not the fkc 102 at least not good detailed information.
Seems like the race tech emulator is popular especaily with some set up help, just don't know if I should compare the two any opinons on that comparison (cartridge versus race tech emulator).

Thanks.

D.W.

If the the FKC' 101's. I found them to be a worthy improvement over the stock internals. The local shop here (mostly FXR guys) have the opinion that emulators are not worth it and most will be much happier with a cartridge kit.

96 F450

Thanks DM,
The fkc 102 that fits my bike I have read some positive reviews but have also learned that Ohlins just came out with a updated version of the fkc 102 its called fks 226 the difference being the piston is smaller 22 mm versus 25 mm but it has external rebound and compression adjustments. More research.

D.W.

Big bear is also making an Öhlins Carthage kit, that I think would fit your year fork. It is more expensive but looks bad ass.

96 F450

I know, Motorcycle Metal has a set up for 49 mm touring forks also. Customer based reviews are hard to come by.
On a positive note considering the intended application I haven't read or heard any negatives so far on the FKC 102, any body here something?

Thanks.

Die Hard

Howard from Motorcyclemetal.com sold me a set of Ohlins FKC 102 cartridges for my 2015 Street Glide. He makes his own modification to them for better performance which has do do with the rate of oil return to the reservoir. Huge improvement over stock. The front end dive goes away when you use the front brake and the overall ride quality is very good. I would highly recommend doing the the front and rear suspension at the same time because just doing one end brings out the shortfall of the stock end.
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

96 F450

Thanks Die Hard,
Curious to know if you received the fkc 102's stock tried them then sent them back for the mods or do they come modified already?
I read reports of stock fkc 102's working great the way they come Ohlins, those reports are as a solo rider.
When I make up my mind it will be front and rear.
Thanks for the feed back.

Die Hard

They came to me already modified so I don't know what the stock Ohlins was like. Howard just told me he was improving the stock version.

96 F450

Thanks Again Die Hard,

I've made up my mind and went with Ohlins FKS 226 up front and Ohlins HD772 for the rears. Haven't received them yet and have other things  to do so I'm a little anxious to say the least.

Die Hard

I don't think you will regret it. By the way, you will have to spend some time setting up your rear shocks after they are installed. Getting the spring pressure correct for your weight is critical in achieving an excellent ride and the damping adjustments will help too. Howard sent me an instruction sheet on how to do it and I talked with him by phone also until I got it right.

Chopper Man

96 f450. How do you like your ohlin setup?  I'm looking at the 226 also.  I sent Howard (die Hardy's referral)  a message this past week and he asked that I call him. Didn't get the chance to yet. But there aren't as may reviews out there as I thought there would be. What's your opinion on the ohlin cartridges?  I've got the original progessive mono shock with a single cartridge and I'm thinking I may like ohlin or legend better.  Thnx

jmorton10

Quote from: Die Hard on September 12, 2019, 07:54:54 PM
They came to me already modified so I don't know what the stock Ohlins was like. Howard just told me he was improving the stock version.

Stock Ohlin's don't need to be "improved". I talked to one of their engineers some years ago & asked him about this.  He basically said we set them up for the weight/riding style etc. of the rider they are ordered for.

He said "if he actually had a way to improve on that, don't you think we would have already done it??"  He has a lot of riders snowed into believing he knows some secret way to improve the product that they have never figured out.

Contact poster "smarty" who is a member here. He is an Ohlin dealer & a great guy. He sells Ohlin stuff as cheap as anybody & then talks the buyer through the correct way to set them up with out any B.S.

I did buy some Ohlin stuff years ago from Howard & was not overly impressed. I have bought six sets of Ohlin shocks over the years. I sold the set I got from Howard on ebay.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: jmorton10 on February 08, 2021, 10:06:24 AM
Quote from: Die Hard on September 12, 2019, 07:54:54 PM

Stock Ohlin's don't need to be "improved". I talked to one of their engineers some years ago & asked him about this.  He basically said we set them up for the weight/riding style etc. of the rider they are ordered for.

He said "if he actually had a way to improve on that, don't you think we would have already done it??"  He has a lot of riders snowed into believing he knows some secret way to improve the product that they have never figured out.

Contact poster "smarty" who is a member here. He is an Ohlin dealer & a great guy. He sells Ohlin stuff as cheap as anybody & then talks the buyer through the correct way to set them up with out any B.S.

I did buy some Ohlin stuff years ago from Howard & was not overly impressed. I have bought six sets of Ohlin shocks over the years. I sold the set I got from Howard on ebay.

~John
:up:  Truth spoken.