March 28, 2024, 02:40:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My Son's 2019 softail, noisy upper valve train

Started by nwrvman, August 19, 2019, 12:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwrvman

2019 softail 107 streetbob.
Right when he drove it new off the lot was doing this " loose marble like" rattle in the upper cylinder heads.
While we are driving down the Hwy I can hear it 30 ft away behind me.
does it idle or under load and its consistent with the RPM.

He put about a 1,000 miles, changed the oils in all three holes and the noise is still there.
This Thursday he has an apt at the dealer to see what's going on.
Anyone encounter or heard of such?

nwrvman

Could it be "loose Valve Seats" ?
I keep reading on the internet few people hare having same challenge.

Hilly13

This will cure the tapping if it's because one valve is slightly higher than the other.
SCREAMIN EAGLE ADJUSTABLE ROCKER ARM KITS 17300069 and 17300070.
Just because its said don't make it so

rbabos

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 22, 2019, 06:20:41 AM
This will cure the tapping if it's because one valve is slightly higher than the other.
I suspect the OPs noise is from poor HD QC. If you need those adjustables,  the valve to valve clearances on the same rocker were never right to start with. If the one valve is set to 0 clearance and the other about .002-.005, it would be hard pressed to hear it. Around .008+it's audible. In a normal valve train clearance usually tightens with miles unless there's a wear issue somewhere causing the problem. With hydraulics a too tight between valves won't happen as the lifter always senses the tightest valve. 0-0 clearance on both valves is next to impossible. The way I see it is these SE kits are to counter sloppy manufacturing specs and increase profits at the same time. HD is good at that.
Ron

hattitude

Quote from: rbabos on August 22, 2019, 06:41:24 AM

The way I see it is these SE kits are to counter sloppy manufacturing specs and increase profits at the same time. HD is good at that.
Ron

Ron's got that right.....!

I'd be afraid to sit down and think about how many times the MoCo has come out with an SE kit to fix an obvious shortcoming. One they should have addressed through production and/or recall...

To The Max

If i read the first post correctly this is a new bike, if so why don't you take it back to the dealer.

Hilly13

Quote from: hattitude on August 22, 2019, 08:58:50 AM

The way I see it is these SE kits are to counter sloppy manufacturing specs and increase profits at the same time. HD is good at that.
Ron

I'd be afraid to sit down and think about how many times the MoCo has come out with an SE kit to fix an obvious shortcoming. One they should have addressed through production and/or recall...
No argument here, however problem still exists and that's what I would do to make it happy, bit like compensators really lol, sorry Ron, low blow.
Just because its said don't make it so

nwrvman

Son did took it to the dealer, they said its perfectly normal, kind of "They all do that" response.
Because of responses like that Guess what my next bike is not going to be in 2020 when i plan on buying my next bike.
(Indians bikes are looking pretty good these days)
He may buy the "Screamin'Eagle"ADJUSTABLE ROCKER ARM KITS 17300069 and 17300070  fix to see if that eliminates the rattling noise.
Needless to say I had an influence on him buying a 2019 Harley Davidson, now I have to listen to him bitch and complain about quality of his new bike.
He is a young man 26 y/o and away goes a customer (make it two now) not buying a Harley.
J.C.

Reddog74usa

H-D avoiding or refusing to make things right is running them into the ground. The bean counters are in all their glory as they run an American icon into the ground. This attitude and the disastrous M8 design coupled with a huge slowdown in the MC industry may just be the death of the MOCO. None of what they are doing makes a bit of sense. Damn Shame....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hossamania

Quote from: Reddog74usa on August 29, 2019, 07:44:01 AM
H-D avoiding or refusing to make things right is running them into the ground. The bean counters are in all their glory as they run an American icon into the ground. This attitude and the disastrous M8 design coupled with a huge slowdown in the MC industry may just be the death of the MOCO. None of what they are doing makes a bit of sense. Damn Shame....

And yet they are going to sell well over 200,000 units, because, well, HD. Still the best looking bikes out there, and the ones with the most cache'.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

moose

take it to a dealer other than the one you bought it from then back to your dealer

if its making that much noise shut it off and have the dealer tow it back 3X and lemon law     check your state requirements

even have an independent listen to it
Moose aka Glenn-

rbabos

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 22, 2019, 06:41:01 PM
Quote from: hattitude on August 22, 2019, 08:58:50 AM

Ron

No argument here, however problem still exists and that's what I would do to make it happy, bit like compensators really lol, sorry Ron, low blow.
It's ok, I'm over it. Almost.
Ron

kjd

Mule

H-D avoiding or refusing to make things right is running them into the ground. The bean counters are in all their glory as they run an American icon into the ground. This attitude and the disastrous M8 design coupled with a huge slowdown in the MC industry may just be the death of the MOCO. None of what they are doing makes a bit of sense. Damn Shame.... They have been doing the same for Decades, when I bought a new Anniversary SE deuce back in 2003, the compensator came loose within a 1000 miles and started making a knocking noise! I took it back to the dealer  I bought it from, the service manager , the owner and one of the techs all said the same thing "I hear no abnormal noise",  I took  it to another shop they fixed it under warranty right away.

wfolarry

Quote from: nwrvman on August 19, 2019, 12:00:20 PM
Right when he drove it new off the lot was doing this " loose marble like" rattle in the upper cylinder heads.

He put about a 1,000 miles, changed the oils in all three holes and the noise is still there.

You should have drove it right back in & gave it back to them. You should always ask to do a test ride [or test drive if it's a car] before you buy. Driving anything a thousand miles hoping it will fix itself is just wrong.

K4FXD

I wouldn't have left the parking lot with it.

To the "it's normal" I'd have made them start another new bike and if it was quiet, there is the answer. Fix it, give me a different bike or my money back.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

nwrvman

He Hasn't logged another mile on that bike since, keeps making the payment.
He's riding his crotch rocket Aprilia RSVR instead.
Hes now thinking about getting out of HD completely and not look back, I just feel bad for
encouraging and supporting him in buying it.
As far as when the sale happen it was a lot of pressure and an environment I don't care to remember, worse than at car's dealer.
I know its my fault for not looking, checking it in detail at the time of purchase, but he loved the bike.

cbumdumb

I went through the same crap my 13 rgu and I got hit head on long story bought a 2018 rgu and went on the first vacation I ever took. Well bike sumped bad at start up two doors down from Paris Hd during the Bring it Home Rally. I had a choice get that bike fixed or buy new didn't have much time to make a decision and Lord knows I made the the wrong one . I bought a dealership transfer at rally and showed them the paint defects. I am going to leave out all the drama but HD Corp blames Paris HD and Paris Hd says sorry we can't help . This will be interesting at this years rally

Hossamania

Quote from: nwrvman on September 10, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
He Hasn't logged another mile on that bike since, keeps making the payment.
He's riding his crotch rocket Aprilia RSVR instead.
Hes now thinking about getting out of HD completely and not look back, I just feel bad for
encouraging and supporting him in buying it.
As far as when the sale happen it was a lot of pressure and an environment I don't care to remember, worse than at car's dealer.
I know its my fault for not looking, checking it in detail at the time of purchase, but he loved the bike.

Has he taken it to another dealer?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

IronButt70

Quote from: K4FXD on September 09, 2019, 09:26:39 AM
I wouldn't have left the parking lot with it.

To the "it's normal" I'd have made them start another new bike and if it was quiet, there is the answer. Fix it, give me a different bike or my money back.
:agree: 1000%. If they don't make it right try what a friend did for a dealer that would not step up. He strung the bike with lemons; parked it on a trailer directly on the street in front of the dealership with a sign warning future customers to stay away. Told the GM he would be there every weekend until the problem was resolved. By the second weekend he had another bike.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

nwrvman

The challenge with him now he wont ride it, he won't touch it, he don't care for it no more.
Its parked in my garage collecting dust for the last two months.
Not sure what he wants to do with it, I can not bring the bike up he gets mad ( its my fault)
I'm almost at the point of paying out of my pocket to fix it at an independent shop, I feel responsible.

IronButt70

Quote from: nwrvman on September 12, 2019, 07:42:25 AM
The challenge with him now he wont ride it, he won't touch it, he don't care for it no more.
Not sure what he wants to do with it, I can not bring the bike up he gets mad ( its my fault)
I'm almost at the point of paying out of my pocket to fix it at an independent shop, I feel responsible.
If he won't take back to the dealer and raise hell you should. Make the dealer make it right. You should not feel guilty because they won't step up.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Iron Cowboy

Quote from: Hossamania on August 29, 2019, 08:11:17 AM

And yet they are going to sell well over 200,000 units, because, well, HD. Still the best looking bikes out there, and the ones with the most cache'.
This is why I never come to this site anymore, keyboard commandos that run down anything newer than what they have because really they cant afford a new one and want to feel better about it.  I have run a shovel , evo's a twincam, and now a 2019 M8. To all those wondering, yep, new is always better. the M8 is light years better than all the others. I had spent thousands building up a twincam and a stock M8 blows it away in EVERY SINGLE WAY! But yea,,,sumping and transfer issues, bla, bla bla..had me wondering..so I went out and actually talked to lots of mechanics IN PERSON and guess what, its all internet hype.  whatever, maybe ill check back in another 10 years. have fun

PoorUB

Iron, sure, pics and the same complaints on other forums and it is all just some fictional, made up hype? Yep, it is a conspiracy. If there was not problems why 2-3 variations for oil pumps, service bulletins from HD and other bits of info?? If it is a conspiracy even the MoCo is envolved

Seriously, there is issues, but again it probably affect a low percentage. You were lucky and got a good one.  The bad part is how slow HD is in taking care of it. The M8 has been out four years and many.still wonder if the problems have been solved.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

VDeuce

September 12, 2019, 03:11:34 PM #24 Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:18:36 PM by VDeuce
Quote from: Iron Cowboy on September 12, 2019, 10:29:34 AM

This is why I never come to this site anymore, keyboard commandos that run down anything newer than what they have because really they cant afford a new one and want to feel better about it.  I have run a shovel , evo's a twincam, and now a 2019 M8. To all those wondering, yep, new is always better. the M8 is light years better than all the others. I had spent thousands building up a twincam and a stock M8 blows it away in EVERY SINGLE WAY! But yea,,,sumping and transfer issues, bla, bla bla..had me wondering..so I went out and actually talked to lots of mechanics IN PERSON and guess what, its all internet hype.  whatever, maybe ill check back in another 10 years. have fun
@Iron Cowboy - You know I hope you never have a problem, but you are insulting those of us that have. I don't think there are problems, I know personally of them and have taken steps to solve them.

Don't know which HD mechanics you talked with, but in 2018 my purchasing dealer had guys on the waiting list for aftermarket oil pumps because they knew there were issues.

Hopefully they have solved the sumping issue with the latest pump, but that leaves 3 model years of bikes with the older pump style and who knows if/when they will have problems - they will likely be out of warranty.

One last thing: this site has saved my ASS numerous times. We SHARE information here, not just do a drive-by shooting bullshit and leave. Your post contributed nothing to the conversation.

To The Max

Quote from: Iron Cowboy on September 12, 2019, 10:29:34 AM

I was in Alice Springs the other day and went to the Harley Dealer there , these guys don't sell many Harleys only 3 on the floor but guess what they had a CVO SG that had sumped to death. this problem is very real some times from new and sometimes induced by the mods we all do. yes there are some guys that have a winge but there are also very talented people that give of there time to help others, especialy when the answers aren't coming from the Moco. personaly I think your the one missing out. Max

nwrvman

"KeyBoard Commandos" ... I thought that's what this site is all about Harley Tech Talk of which I have been a member since 2004 or 2005
We come and talk about our bikes and builds, exchange ideas, opinions and experiences
in our case, When one pays a good price for a bike, one expects to get what you pay for...Iron doesn't agree with this concept...sorry

VDeuce

Sunny Jim

I for one, am forever grateful for the exposure to tech advice and sharing this site achieves. All information is good information, just take what you want.
Thanks Members.
PS. Let's have a laugh!

jls 64

Quote from: Sunny Jim on September 12, 2019, 04:48:10 PM
I for one, am forever grateful for the exposure to tech advice and sharing this site achieves. All information is good information, just take what you want.
Thanks Members.
PS. Let's have a laugh!
:agree:
js

Will-Run

Lean Angle, " Is Life."

boggart

I understand his frustration.  However, it's new, under warranty, he needs to get on the thing and log miles.  If it blows, make it do it while it's under warranty.  IMHO

PoorUB

Yup! Ride the crap out of it! With any luck it will blow up and not be repairable!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ken R

You've compared the sound with other 2019's and it's different (much louder)? 

Or have you asked other owners of similar bikes their opinion of the way your son's sounds? 

If you answer yes to either or both of those and yours is as loud as you say (you can hear valve clatter while riding 30' away from him), then it's time to take it back to the dealer and have a mechanic do a comparison with another bike right there with you.  The outcome should be obvious. 

Ken

hogpipes1

December 07, 2019, 04:28:06 PM #34 Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:32:47 PM by hogpipes1

Hell your kid is 26 yrs. old tell him to suck it up .You didn't design or build it so get off your ass bitchen about it . It's life as is sometimes, and the dealer and co. need to take the heat about it not YOU.

Screamin beagle

I was agreeing with ironcowboys option up till the comment about the m8 blowing away a built up twin cam. So either he's full of brown smelly stuff or the twin cam wasn't too built up. After that comment all of his credibility went buh bye. To deny that there are bikes with issues is ridiculous but of course things get blown out of proportion, it is the internet after all. Haven't ran into a stock m8 that'll stay close to my built up twin cam yet, lol...kinda doubt I will.

TXChop

Anyway you can post a video of this here?

I dont work for harley but for another manufacturer. We advise dealers to tear down based on video evidence all the time.

Little Wing

my 2018 (13K miles) made a loud ticking noise on cold start-up. at 18K it was unbearable so i took it in...

without even seeing the bike, one dealer said "they all do that; don't believe everything you read on the internet."  :wtf:
the dealer from which i purchased the bike kept it overnight, started it the next day and said it was "not right."
factry OK'd teardown after testing compression, leakdown, tolerances, etc.
found scored front exhaust valve lifter and corresponding lobe on cam.

replaced cam, bearing, lifters, pushrods, pistons, cylinders, heads and complete rocker assemblies.

my advice is to run the bejeesuz out of her while she's still under warranty and when discussing warranty issues speak directly to the general manager and/or service manager via email to document their procedures!

and if they jerk you around, report them at:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/about-us/company/dealer-survey.html
2018 VIVID BLACK FLTRX
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Quote from: nwrvman on August 19, 2019, 12:00:20 PM

You say it made the noise "right when he drove if off the lot". I am going to take a guess here that he did not ride it before he bought it. I see this all the time where people fall in love and buy the bike before they take it out for a test ride. Next time, if there is a next time, take the bike out for a ten or 15 minute spin before you sign on the dotted line. If the dealer gives you a  hard time, move on down the road to a better dealer.