April 19, 2024, 06:56:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why so much oil from crank vents?

Started by rich1, October 19, 2019, 04:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

I vented my crankcase vents to atmosphere and get a lot more oil out of the 114 M8 than I ever got from a TC 103. With the TC I would get a drop or two every now and then. With the M8 I get a
about 10 drops in the garage floor after every ride. Is this just the nature of the M8? I have done a leak down test and it was 3% and 4% so the engine is sealing well.

moose

try dropping your oil by about a third of a quart    I did 1/2 quart in mine but it is a 103 not a m8
Moose aka Glenn-

rich1

Thanks. I am already at half way mark on dipstick

Thermodyne

Take it for a ride, then when you get home, level it up (not on side stand) and pull the crank sensor to drain the sump.  If its less than 6 oz, just ride it.  It could still have a cut oring on a breather, buts its really not worth the effort to tear it down for a look.

Next time you drain the oil, do it with the oil cap in place.  If it drains freely, then there is an issue with the breather valves.  Cut orings are seen occasionally, as are defective breather units. 

hd06

PFWiz

Or just vent it out the bottom along the frame. I have been doing this for 3 years now and it does not make a mess down there. Nor does it cause my rear tire to slip. What you get discharging down there is a yellow/milky looking substance which contains air and oil or foam. This foam is the result of moisture (normal) in the crankcase when it cools (especially in colder weather) which is discharged as the crankcase oil heats up to normal operating temp.