March 29, 2024, 08:18:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pingel on a Sportster

Started by JW113, August 23, 2019, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

The stock propeller petcock with down pointed outlet on my Ironhead interferese with the CV carb I have on it, so I had to lift the front of the tank to get it to clear. I just bought a Pingel petcock, with rear pointed outlet, and looks like it will clear with the tank in stock position. However, the stand pipe on the Pingel is about half again taller than the stock petcock, meaning it's going to go on reserve after about a gallon of fuel has been consumed. I pulled the filter screen off, was going to cut the stand pipe down to the same level as the stock petcock, but the fuel screen is held on by a bushing at the top of the screen, not the bottom. So I guess the only option is to drill a hole in the stand pipe.

Anybody else run into this? What was your solution?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

That bushing and screen can be removed. Pingle sells a rebuild kit for that petcock that includes the various dies required to press everything apart using a vise.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ecir50

did you get the screen off without damaging? That screen is epoxied on is why I asked.   

FYI rebuild kit part number is VRK1, search VRK1 to find instructions. Would like to do the same so if you succeed take some pics. 

JW113

The rebuild instructions say hold the screen tightly and pull it off. I did, and it did. No epoxy that I can see.

The rebuild kit is kind of a joke. I'm looking at it now on J&P. Cost is more than I paid for the damn petcock! What's the point? And if they really need rebuilt that often, time to find a better petcock.

-JW

turboprop

Quote from: JW113 on August 23, 2019, 02:13:17 PM
The rebuild instructions say hold the screen tightly and pull it off. I did, and it did. No epoxy that I can see.

The rebuild kit is kind of a joke. I'm looking at it now on J&P. Cost is more than I paid for the damn petcock! What's the point? And if they really need rebuilt that often, time to find a better petcock.

-JW

That rebuild kit should have the stuff needed to rebuild five petcocks.

ecir50

Quote from: JW113 on August 23, 2019, 02:13:17 PM

-JW

That reason I haven't bought one just to change the reserve height. Pingel will rebuild for like 20 bucks if I recall.

Let us know if you are successful changing the height of the tube.

JW113

I guess I was. All I did was poke a couple holes in it, same size as the ones at the bottom.

-JW

JW113

Well indeed, the Pingel valve is low profile enough that I can get the tank back down to it's stock position and clear the carb. Just barely! But hey, clearance is clearance right?

[attach=0,msg1312639]

-JW

turboprop

Is this the same iron head that had the funny dyno sheet that the power was really low on? And was the fuel flow a suspected cause of the really low curves?

JW113

Same bike, and fuel flow is not the issue. I think the power problem was a combination of Super B, and some young punk that did not how to tune one nor an Ironhead. I put a CV-40 on it, but the stock petcock would not clear the carb so I had to lift the front of the tank. Which 9 out of 10 guys would probably think that is AOK, but I wanted it at that stock height. Hence, the Pingel.

I am going to take it up to RC Cycles in Hayward and get a baseline on it with CV, and take it from there.

-JW

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the heads up on the Pingle reserve issue...will address it on mine asap   [attach=0]