March 28, 2024, 05:37:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dyno tune vs canned when going 2 into 1

Started by JT Metal, August 26, 2019, 07:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT Metal

I had my bike Dyno tuned with powervision 3yrs ago, on decatted factory header. assuming I'm going to lose my original Dyno tune........ question.......
If I switch to 2to1 pipe, what's the difference between calling fuel Moto and having them send me a new map vs another Dyno tune?

rbabos

Quote from: JT Metal on August 26, 2019, 07:41:00 PM
I had my bike Dyno tuned with powervision 3yrs ago, on decatted factory header. assuming I'm going to lose my original Dyno tune........ question.......
If I switch to 2to1 pipe, what's the difference between calling fuel Moto and having them send me a new map vs another Dyno tune?
A new map is just the starting point for another dyno tune. Your existing cal would likely be closer if it's just an exhaust change.
Ron

JT Metal

So, is leaving it be and swap exhaust acceptable? No issues overall.

kd

I don't think that's what he said.  He was answering your original question.
KD

Durwood

Anytime air flow changes so does fuel requirements. Get it re-tuned.

rbabos

Quote from: JT Metal on August 27, 2019, 07:10:05 AM
So, is leaving it be and swap exhaust acceptable? No issues overall.
What I meant is retuning with your existing cal is a better option then starting with another base cal from scratch.
Ron

scotman623

The original tune will be quite a bit different going to the 2-1, definitely get it retuned.
Always look forward...

scotman623

I understand now!! Fuel Moto will definitely get your tune going in the right direction, could just run it like that and probably be happy with the results... If you want to get the most out of it, definitely have it Dyno tuned again...
Always look forward...

JT Metal

Yes, understood. Sorry for the confusing garble

Coff 06

I did the same thing.I had mine tuned with a 2-2 that was about as close to drag pipes as you could get.Put on a nice 2-1 and it still runs great overall.When I talked to my tuner he felt it would probably be a little on the rich side but would be fine to run it this way and not hurt a thing.We will be putting it back on the Dyno to work out some flat spots in the mid range areas. Even without getting back on the Dyno yet it's a night and day difference with a 2-1 having the torque come on so much earlier.One suggestion is make sure your clutch is up to the task.
           :wink:       Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

JT Metal

Quote from: Coff 06 on August 27, 2019, 01:38:47 PM
I did the same thing.I had mine tuned with a 2-2 that was about as close to drag pipes as you could get.Put on a nice 2-1 and it still runs great overall.When I talked to my tuner he felt it would probably be a little on the rich side but would be fine to run it this way and not hurt a thing.We will be putting it back on the Dyno to work out some flat spots in the mid range areas. Even without getting back on the Dyno yet it's a night and day difference with a 2-1 having the torque come on so much earlier.One suggestion is make sure your clutch is up to the task.
so, it's your opinion that a 2into1 is that much better then a decatted factory header at my power level 101/112?

Coff 06

August 27, 2019, 07:58:06 PM #11 Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:03:18 PM by Coff 06
Quote from: JT Metal on August 27, 2019, 05:25:17 PM
Quote from: Coff 06 on August 27, 2019, 01:38:47 PM
so, it's your opinion that a 2into1 is that much better then a decatted factory header at my power level 101/112?

Yes, I believe so.No expert here. I've hated 2-1s all my life.......that is until I had side by side on my own bike. I'm at 123/118 on my 98".My power didn't really come on till about 3-3500 until I changed to the 2-1.Now it's about 22-2500 and it rips.It felt a little lazy before ,It will spin the tire off the rev limiter thru 1st and 2nd and finally catch traction in 3rd.In no way would it do that before,same build
             Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118