April 19, 2024, 03:35:28 PM

News:

m8 knock retard

Started by 1stop, August 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1stop

Im road tuning a cvo 2017 114 bike. Cat out and v&h mufflers. Knock retard is pulling 2-6 degrees from 50 kpa up & 1500 to 5000 rpm. Heard pinning on a lower rpm hard roll on just a few times. Got ve's where they need to be. fuel is good. Let My tune pull out timing (4-5) degrees in a big range from 50 to 100 kpa. Did another 40 miles and no improvement. Whats up with that? Anyone running into that scenario? Im just starting to get some m8s in the shop, so dont have alot of m8 tuning experience. I see pv knock control and knock removal rate. These things just pull and add timing at will?

HV

Check the plug wires where they connect to the coils....I find one or 2 a week that will snap in another click or 2 ...a loose wire will make them ping like a SOB...also had a few with bad Knock sensors ...
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

1stop

Ill check into it. Just put fresh gas to rule that out. Is there some way to test knock sensors? Dont have a late model manual.

HV

Should have 5 V  with key on...if bad they will show 0 .... ( Using HD Lap top )
Skype HV.HTT

1stop

what is symptoms of sensor being bad? This thing is pulling timing out. both cylinders. can bad sensors cause that?

HV

The only way to know for sure if the sensor is bad is to check the voltage ....Ive seen timing being pulled even with a bad sensor....
Skype HV.HTT

Gordon61

Quote from: 1stop on August 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM
Knock retard is pulling 2-6 degrees from 50 kpa up & 1500 to 5000 rpm.

I got my 114 softail at the end of 2017 and and is doing fine for me for now in stock form.
I did hook up the power vision from my previous FatBoy to have a look at how close the VEs were running and noticed exactly the same thing.  As soon as you hit 50kpa it starts retarding the spark.  I mentioned this back then on another place and it was suggested that the ECU would learn over 500 miles or so. 5K later it's still doing the same thing.

Runs good and I never hear anything so I wondered if it was the way this torque map tuning that was mentioned when these first came out.

1stop

I let (my tune) software make adjustments twice, and applied changes. 5 degrees change in good many cells. retested and still,ecm pulling same amount of timing. so i just put back original spark map and let it eat. Like i said, new to the m 8's. now that the warranties are running out, they are interested in performance work or exhaust. Have tuned 3 perviously, one 120 build, 2 cam jobs and seen 1 or 2 degrees being pulled so i didnt stress it. Thanks for replies.

Txwezl

Quote from: Gordon61 on September 01, 2019, 12:09:52 AM
Quote from: 1stop on August 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM
Knock retard is pulling 2-6 degrees from 50 kpa up & 1500 to 5000 rpm.

I got my 114 softail at the end of 2017 and and is doing fine for me for now in stock form.
I did hook up the power vision from my previous FatBoy to have a look at how close the VEs were running and noticed exactly the same thing.  As soon as you hit 50kpa it starts retarding the spark.  I mentioned this back then on another place and it was suggested that the ECU would learn over 500 miles or so. 5K later it's still doing the same thing.

Runs good and I never hear anything so I wondered if it was the way this torque map tuning that was mentioned when these first came out.

I've seen that with powervision as well, changed to TTS and have not had it happen again.

Gordon61

Quote from: Txwezl on September 02, 2019, 01:26:01 PM
I've seen that with powervision as well, changed to TTS and have not had it happen again.

Interesting, thanks, although if I remember correctly the logs I ran showed that the timing was being pulled so not just a reporting issue on the PV I thought.  Very strange.

Rhamlyn

Quote from: HV on August 31, 2019, 02:24:28 PMThe only way to know for sure if the sensor is bad is to check the voltage ....Ive seen timing being pulled even with a bad sensor....
Is there a way to check the voltage on the knock sensors withought having the HD software ? 
2017 SG 124 M8