April 19, 2024, 08:29:59 AM

News:

Evo Softail slip-on mufflers?

Started by Finn, August 31, 2019, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

My Bad Boy has a set of old Screamin Eagle slip-on mufflers. And the sound is rather obnoxious, way too "sharp" and metallic sounding. I'd like to get the deep rumble.

I have been searching and searchimg but I haven't been able to find slip-on mufflers for a 90's Softail. Are they gone or am I looking at this the wrong way ie. should the newer ones for Twin Cams fit an Evo Softail?

The original mufflers came with the bike, too. Perhaps modifying of those is an alternative.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

rigidthumper

We used a 1.75 or 1 7/8" hole saw on those stock mufflers, to remove the core without removing the packing. Must have done a thousand of those over the years. Cheap & easy way to get a little more sound without being obnoxious.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Finn

With core you mean baffle or something else?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

rigidthumper

Yep- the hole saw cuts the welds, and once cut, vice grips to pull the baffle out. The packing stays inside the muffler along the outer wall, and sound is less tinney than V&H, and not as sharp at the Cycle Shack baffles in the SE mufflers.

Finn

Ahh, OK, now I get it. I thought the packing would be fixed on the baffle and follow the baffle out.

We may try this one and see how it sounds. Could always install some different baffles in afterwards if needed.

Thanks.  :beer:

rigidthumper

I have heard of wrapping the CS baffles with SS wool, but I don't know how well, or how long, that lasts.

Son of PMS

Finn

I asked Khromewerks if just those would be more or less a direct fit on my Softail but they never replied. If they would fit directly or with very little fiddling I'd get a pair.

Finn

I got really fed up with the SE slip-on noise this week so we drilled 20 mm holes in the original mufflers. Holy cow, this stock Evo now has plenty of torque!

If we should modify these with new baffles what is the baffle size to be considered? Would a 1.75" be too big for a stockish Evo?

Burnout

If you want torque get a long primary 2:1 pipe.
The old White Bros pipe is awesome, a Supertrapp, or a Thunderheader.

Yanking or drilling baffles is not something I'd recommend, if you open them too much you wind up with a reversion problem.
The megaphone or cone type muffler slows the gasses down gradually without creating backpressure and pinches off any reversion.

A large diameter muffler will create a deeper sound Bub's, Rhinehart, S&S, etc.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Finn

Any idea what is the difference between these two pipes:

Link: Supertrapp 128-71454

and

Link: Supertrapp 828-71454

Well, the shape of the outlet is a bit different but apart from that.

Deye76

The top photo doesn't have the discs & end cap installed.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

The preferred pipe has the rear cylinder primary tube going forward and down around the cone, this adds the needed length to the rear cylinder header pipe and dramatically changes the low speed torque, and idle quality.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"