Fixing scratches, abrasions in late model saddlebags

Started by klammer76, September 11, 2019, 03:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

September 11, 2019, 03:44:02 PM Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:56:32 PM by klammer76
Looking to put a different set of bags on my 02 FLH, 2014 & up. Donor bags have some rash on them but nothing real bad. No cracks, some chips in the paint from use. What is the best thing to use? Can bondo be used on them? Block sanding ok?

Thanks

fleetmechanic

September 11, 2019, 03:58:06 PM #1 Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:29:35 PM by fleetmechanic
If you mean 2004 and up that was when they changed from sheet molded composite to ABS plastic.  We've had better luck touching them up with epoxy that is plastic suitable or fiberglass resin rather than Bondo.  All are sandable once fully cured.

klammer76

Quote from: fleetmechanic on September 11, 2019, 03:58:06 PM
If you mean 2004 and up that was when they changed from sheet molded composite to ABS plastic.  We've had better luck touching them up with epoxy that is plastic suitable or fiberglass resin rather than Bondo.  All are sandable once fully cured.
Yes, 2014 bags (I fixed the 2024 :embarrassed:). So use epoxy and sand the same as if using bondo? I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks.

Hossamania

Talk to a local body shop about what they use, all kinds of plastic to fix on modern cars.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

lickidysplit

I repaired a tour pac lid from a 2012 with a 2 part epoxy made for abs plastic. Cant remember the brand but it was a well known brand. I bought it at the parts store and they had several products from different mfgs. It worked well and just sands down when cured! A lot of car parts are made from abs plastic!

Phu Cat

JB Weld makes an EXCELLENT plastic adhesive that is sandable that should work well for your application, Klammer.  Can be found at most hardware stores and it dries quickly.  Used it before with great success.  Regular JB Weld may work for this application, but their plastic adhesive is outstanding.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

klammer76

Thanks for all the info. I found a pair of new take off's today in the right color. So won't be doing the body work and paint after all. Best part only $40 more than the slightly damaged bags that would have needed painting.