March 28, 2024, 03:35:44 PM

News:

2:1 exhaust good power and clearance

Started by Johnwesley, September 02, 2019, 02:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwesley

Looking at replacing the exhaust. The road rage I have scrapes when running the mountain roads. It has both head pipes going around the cam cover. The bottom pipe scrapes. Looking at other pipes I have run and like, they all seem to run the head pipes together in the same way. 
Pic to help show what I mean

So I'm looking for a 2:1 that makes power and doesn't ring my ears while touring. The road rage I have is on the edge of upper noise level

Looking at these style pipes I see the merge collectors vary in placement, maybe a better way to say it, the head pipes are varying length. The Fatcat seems to have the longest primary and the propipe hs a little shorter, the shortest being the supper trap original style. Seems that that would change when the pipe likes to run. I'm leaning to either running the Fatcat louvered baffle, or the propipe. The engine is just a mild 90s hp 96" big bore in a 05 dyna.

What's seems to be the better pipe for general power 2800- 5500

Fat cat
SuperTrapp og
Pro pipe
Supermeg.

I'm open to other options, just would like to keep what hearing I have left and not kill the power. Maybe better to say I would like a nice power curve and not be louder than the road rage.
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

Barrett

The Fuel Moto E series is a good one. I like it better than the supermeg I had and it's a lot quieter than my Propipe.

Johnwesley

Quote from: Barrett on September 02, 2019, 02:32:32 PM
The Fuel Moto E series is a good one. I like it better than the supermeg I had and it's a lot quieter than my Propipe.

I looked at that pipe, issue is they do not make it for a 2005 dyna. I found an olde E pipe on e-bay, but it has the sample headpipe design

IronButt70

FWIW I have the fatcat with the louvered baffle on my 17 flstc. Bike runs great BUT it is loud to my ear and I scrape the the muffler frequently on the twisties.(I scrape the left foot rest frequently too  :bike:) A dyna may give you more clearance on that.  :idunno:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Johnwesley

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 02, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
FWIW I have the fatcat with the louvered baffle on my 17 flstc. Bike runs great BUT it is loud to my ear and I scrape the the muffler frequently on the twisties.(I scrape the left foot rest frequently too  :bike:) A dyna may give you more clearance on that.  :idunno:

That would be highly irritating, to swap pipes and have the same problem in a different spot. My Superglide is taller than factory. About an inch and a half front and rear. I like the sound and performance of the RR, could use a little help in the lower rpm ranges but pulls good where the cam works well at. The old school SuperTrapp has a upswept muffler so that may be a better bet than the FC.

IronButt70

Quote from: Johnwesley on September 02, 2019, 05:48:22 PM

That would be highly irritating, to swap pipes and have the same problem in a different spot. My Superglide is taller than factory. About an inch and a half front and rear. I like the sound and performance of the RR, could use a little help in the lower rpm ranges but pulls good where the cam works well at. The old school SuperTrapp has a upswept muffler so that may be a better bet than the FC.
An upswept muffler may be your best bet. I have the TTS100 cam tuned with PV and it pulls hard from 2000 up to about 4500 which is what I prefer. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

misfitJason

Chopperhaus makes a pipe you won't scrape.  Also a hpi pipe might be what the doctor ordered
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Johnwesley

Here's some of the best profile views I could come up with on the pipes. As you can tell the collectors are in different places on most of them with the fat cat being the furthest back, thus the longest primaries. The fat cat and the bassani both have stepped headers of the same size, but the bassani is serval inches shorter on the primaries. 

The above propipe seems to run the middle and also has the stepped headers primary length in between the rr and fc.

The above two pipes are very simular in layout but the SuperTrapp doesn't have stepped headers.

The big deal is how do these different pipes generally perform on the dyno with a little 95-98" build

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

IronButt70

Quote from: Johnwesley on September 02, 2019, 05:48:22 PM

That added height on your dyna may give you the needed clearance for the fatcat. Would depend on how far you lean into the turns. If I had that extra height I probably wouldn't scape mine but my bike is set up more for touring than twisty riding. Decisions decisions.  :chop:

Johnwesley

Through some more digging I saw a dyno done by durwood with the road rage I have on my bike. His thoughts on the 110" he did was a longer pipe would help with the left side torque with out hurting the right side. Timminator also believes the same. The last Time I spoke with him and also thinks finding a straight 1.75 head pipe would work better over all with my little motor.

I'm learning toward finding an old propipe that had 1.75 primaries straight through and see if it pulls up the left side more. It would be nice to find a clean used one.

Any other thought would be good to hear as well

boooby1744

[attach=0,msg1318316] RB Racing Spyder has 1 3/4 primaries. Loud without the optional sound attenuation packing. Well made and expensive.

Sambo62

QuoteThrough some more digging I saw a dyno done by durwood with the road rage I have on my bike. His thoughts on the 110" he did was a longer pipe would help with the left side torque with out hurting the right side. Timminator also believes the same. The last Time I spoke with him and also thinks finding a straight 1.75 head pipe would work better over all with my little motor.

I'm learning toward finding an old propipe that had 1.75 primaries straight through and see if it pulls up the left side more. It would be nice to find a clean used one.

You may be referring to my bike.  I'm running the short RR which Daren built and tuned.  Both agreed a longer pipe should help bottom end torque, but the RR was paid for at the time.  I would love to try a longer pipe with tune, all other things being equal, just to see impact of Bp/length on LH side torque.

Johnwesley

Quote from: Sambo62 on October 08, 2019, 09:35:29 AM
QuoteThrough some more digging I saw a dyno done by durwood with the road rage I have on my bike. His thoughts on the 110" he did was a longer pipe would help with the left side torque with out hurting the right side. Timminator also believes the same. The last Time I spoke with him and also thinks finding a straight 1.75 head pipe would work better over all with my little motor.

You may be referring to my bike.  I'm running the short RR which Daren built and tuned.  Both agreed a longer pipe should help bottom end torque, but the RR was paid for at the time.  I would love to try a longer pipe with tune, all other things being equal, just to see impact of Bp/length on LH side torque.

I would love for you too as well :baby: for my own education. Especially since I'm running the same pipe as yours. When I read your posts I though it was their short pipe that has a collector by the cam cover. Then when you posted a pic I realized it's the same pipe I'm running. Really no big deal to me, but with the cornering clearance issue combined with a "possible" better toque curve, and the fact that the pipe is not on the bike at the moment, I thought it was a good time to change. I have found a good deal on a pipe with substantially longer primaries that I may try unless some one comes up with a more definitive answer.

It would be nice to be close to a tuner that swaps used pipes around for customers to help dial in the combo, but that's not happening around here with out investing a few thousand, and I'm not that curious.

Johnwesley

just as a follow up:
I settled on this one wasn't sure what the specks were but based on the pics it didn't look like it had a step in it, but I was wrong on that point. It has massive primaries so it may not have been the best for performance on such a small engine. Sounds good though and I like the look so we'll see how it performs once tuned in. Right now pulls really well up top.

Deye76

This one give more clearance when your leaning? Hard to tell from the before & after pics.

Johnwesley

Quote from: Deye76 on November 09, 2019, 06:12:07 PM
This one give more clearance when your leaning? Hard to tell from the before & after pics.

That was the plan, and it is close. This one has lots more clearance under the cam cover, but the bend under the transmission hit just after the pegs touch. It's possible this is an exercise that will cost to much for us unlucky folks who don't pick the right option first.

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

calgary56

Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Johnwesley

Johnwesley

Quote from: calgary56 on November 10, 2019, 01:47:38 PM
Lift it, cheaper than some pipes

2" extended fork tubes
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/gold-titanium-nitride-coated-fork-tubes-2-length-41mm-for-fxst-fxdwg-dyna-wide-glide.html [tcbroschoppers.com]

or slider tube extensions
https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-visions/39mm-2-in-fork-tube-extensions-cv-7139.p585971.prd/585971.sku

2000 – 2005 Dyna Swing Arm Lift kit
http://www.bungking.com/swing-arm-lift-kit/ [bungking.com]

Thanks for the links, I have already worked the suspension over. The fork internals have been changed out for a cartridge and firmer springs. Stock I had 3" sag and now I'm running 1.5" on the rear I have 14" ohlins. I have been looking at doing the 2" extend forks, at that point a longer kick stand will be a must.

Deye76

I have 2" + tubes (standard OE) on my FXRP, even on the banked switchbacks feel like I'm going tip over LOL. Any HD will not be better than a sport bike, in capable hands in negotiating tight angles. Get a pipe you like, ride your bike within it's limitations and have fun. Or, switch bikes. Best wishes.

calgary56

calgary56

Quote from: Deye76 on November 10, 2019, 04:29:14 PM
I have 2" + tubes (standard OE) on my FXRP, even on the banked switchbacks feel like I'm going tip over LOL. Any HD will not be better than a sport bike, in capable hands in negotiating tight angles. Get a pipe you like, ride your bike within it's limitations and have fun. Or, switch bikes. Best wishes.

https://www.lordsofgastown.com/products/bung-king-kickstand-lift-block

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!