May 06, 2024, 05:54:25 AM

News:

Lifter Problems

Started by Don D, July 10, 2020, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

July 10, 2020, 07:26:42 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:37:30 PM by HD Street Performance
Have a set of these that came back and looking for comments on the possible cause.
3 out of the 4 had similar damage and one the disc was fine but would not come out of the main body at the top.

Ohio HD

That's a limiter isn't it? Was the limiter installed on the wrong end of the lifter?

[attach=0,msg1354469]

Don D

dynabagger

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 10, 2020, 07:59:51 PM
That's a limiter isn't it? Was the limiter installed on the wrong end of the lifter?

Not the case as these are my lifters. The limiter went in the tappet body followed by the spring and plunger assembly. As per S&S instructions.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Ohio HD

Quote from: dynabagger on July 10, 2020, 10:13:51 PM

Not the case as these are my lifters. The limiter went in the tappet body followed by the spring and plunger assembly. As per S&S instructions.

It was a question, not a statement.

dynabagger

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 10, 2020, 10:23:52 PM
Quote from: dynabagger on July 10, 2020, 10:13:51 PM

It was a question, not a statement.

That's fair. I wasn't trying to push back just stating how they were assembled.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

FSG

the limiter has had the crap pounded out of it , how were the PRs adjusted with these lifters ?

Scotty

Looks like the pushrod was adjusted wrong for limiters. That is just from looking at photos I could be wrong I was not there when they were adjusted  :nix:

wfolarry

S&S limiters do not work in those lifters.

rking1550

Quote from: wfolarry on July 11, 2020, 04:48:51 AM

Who's lifter is it & why wouldn't the limiter work?
Not doubting you,  Just wanting to learn something.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Don D

Not going to get into that because it starts to look like a jab at vendors and/or manufacturers including and other than myself. I will solve the issue and limiters are not needed in the application. This is not a systemic problem.

rking1550

Quote from: HD Street Performance on July 11, 2020, 06:13:54 AM
Not going to get into that because it starts to look like a jab at vendors and/or manufacturers including and other than myself. I will solve the issue and limiters are not needed in the application. This is not a systemic problem.
Fair enough. I understand completely.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Ohio HD

Quote from: wfolarry on July 11, 2020, 04:48:51 AM

I wondered about that, I wasn't sure what brand these were. I asked you about the compatibility to the S&S limiters once, you told me you had limiter inserts. 

Don D

The inserts were not from S&S.

wfolarry

Who's lifter is it & why wouldn't the limiter work?
Not doubting you,  Just wanting to learn something.

They're Hylift Johnson 2313 SE's. The internal dimensions are different from the Delphi lifters so the S&S limiters aren't the right OD.

It was an assembly problem. More than likely the spring got hung up on the limiter during assembly. This eliminated any hydraulic function of the lifter. The lifter then beat itself to death. This is obvious by the damage to the metering plate.
Travel limiters do not eliminate the hydraulic function of the lifter. They serve only to limit the travel of the piston. The lifter still functions the same as it would without the limiter.

Years back many guys would take the spring out when installing limiters to avoid this problem. While it's not necessary you have to be careful when installing them.

Don D

They are Hylift 2313SE. The limiters are .645 x .500 x .113