Tried and True SE Heavy Breather external breather modification.

Started by 838, September 03, 2019, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

This where I have my catch can, same place Ray mounted his. Works well. In the bottom pic you can see what mostly come out after a drain. In reality the hot air expelled from the heads through the breathers evaporates most or all of the liquid that shows up in the catch can on longer rides

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

locker55

speedster it's seems to be the only thing you stopped is not going back to piston. still on the side of bike is same as coming from filter.
Hoss yours is the danger one (oil on tire)and messy one that I'm trying to get away from. But I always use the cardboard trick on the lift and when working on bike or car. Old shower curtain is a easy clean up to.
Ohio Yours looks well thought out. How often does it need to be drained? And it looks like a ca phil item that can be bought.
I'm in the middle of doing mine and have the old style backing plate I'm using ill try to show pics when I get the grand design down..lol

Thanks for posting. I hope more do to give more ways.

No Cents

I made my backing plate and intake...but it is the same theory as Coyote's modification to his backing plate for venting using the barbs.
    I drain my catch can every time I fill the tank up. Not much comes out...but that way at least I know the catch can is empty. And I learned over time that the filter on top of the catch can can become soaked with the vapor mist and become a little clogged not letting it breath to it's full potential. I eliminated the filter on mine.

[attach=0,msg1329723]

[attach=1,msg1329723]

[attach=2,msg1329723]

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

locker55

Ok I see that the catch can you guys have two hose hook ups. One for each head. I would think one can tee it by breather and only hook up one side also. I like the no filter No Cents runs. Filter is just one more thing to take care of. Also No Cents is that the same as Ohio's just a different sticker..Lol
Thank you guys for showing pics. If the directions don't have pics then it's harder to understand for some of us slower thinkers.

No Cents

yes...they are the same catch cans.
It's called a Mini Jaz.

kd

Here's a few pics of a similar and simple setup I use. The pipe is chrome toilet / sink supply line and compression fittings from the breather base. It is copper and easy to form all of the turns with an inexpensive plumbing pipe bender. There is a length of rubber hose to the frame mounted aluminum catch-can (I salvaged from a wrecked 5.7 Ram Hemi pickup). The hose stops the rubber mounted engine movement from reaching the frame mounted can.  I forget the make of the catch-can but easy to search.  The pipe at the catch can end is all stainless also salvaged from an air system header.  I just used the bends and lengths that I needed.

The one pic I have included is an engine on my bench to show the engine side hookups.  It is the same method Coyote shows.  The other pics are the installed unit I described that I use on my RGU.  If you expand the pics you can zoom in on the pipes and follow them. 

I will add that after No Cents recognized his problem with the vent filter getting dirty and restricting the air flow I put my catch can discharge line vented straight down.  The catch can has a stainless wire (like steel wool) separator in the top intake and outlet position that removes the fluid from the air that passes thorough it and discharges it into the can. The non filtered vent line has never dripped because the separation is so good and I do run it hard for long distances.  On the truck I salvaged it from the vent line went into the breather as per EPA requirements. If I get caught venting to atmosphere I will put it to the breather now that I know there is no discharge.
KD

No Cents

if anyone is thinking of using a Mini Jaz catch can...they come with two options for inlet sizes. Either with 1/4" inlets, or 3/8" inlets. I run the 3/8" hoses on mine.
  I believe Jeg's still sells them.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: No Cents on January 05, 2020, 05:12:48 PM

Either vent to the atmosphere and take the risk of possibly getting oil on the rear tire or brakes...or play it safe and vent to a catch can and remove the possibility of getting oil on the rear tire or brakes.  hummm   :scratch:
   I'll go with the safe side.

People have been venting overboard without catch cans since the beginning, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the oil getting on a rear tire.

Common sense prevails here, don`t route the hose so that the oil will get on the tire.... 
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

98fxstc

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 13, 2020, 10:11:50 AM

People have been venting overboard without catch cans since the beginning, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the oil getting on a rear tire.

Common sense prevails here, don`t route the hose so that the oil will get on the tire.... 

I thought that as well but have decided to go with a catch can.

Quote from: Heinz on January 05, 2020, 12:01:24 PM

I personally have learned my lesson about venting to atmosphere without a catch can. You don't have to actually have an accident or drop your bike with oil on the tire to have severe detrimental effects of small amounts of oil spray getting on your tire or rear brake. For me I started noticing that I just wasn't getting what I'm used to for rear brake performance. This took thousands of miles  to get to this it didn't just happen  as soon as I put the vent in. I wasn't getting the stopping performance that I was before I began venting without a catch can. I pulled my brake pads and noticed there was a film of oil on the pads that was affecting the performance. I also could see I had some residue on my chrome rear wheel that didn't used to be there to that degree. It was clearly evident it came from the discharge of the vent. The oil residue had seeped into the layer of brake pads so I had no choice but to replace them. Once I put in a catch can the brake performance was noticeably better and I wasn't getting the residue on the rear wheel anymore.

Not a lot of work or dollars to avoid the possibility of trouble.
Oil is not good on engine mounts either.

locker55

The Mini Jaz is not able to be sold to a calif address. Good old Calif, what we have to do and pay to have the good weather.
I will have to send it to a friend and he can send it to me.....
Also good info No Cents. I'll run the 3/8th also.
So does the mini jaz have to be ordered that's size or is it just the fittings?

No Cents

same catch cans...just different size inlets for your hoses.
[attach=0,msg1330015]

Heinz

Quote from: No Cents on January 14, 2020, 06:59:21 AM
[attach=0,msg1330015]

Has anyone tried to mount this style of catch can at the rear fender anywhere so that the saddlebag will still fit on? I'm wondering what catch can will work for those venting the oil pan.

kd

There are tons of catch cans on ebay in all sizes and shapes.  I "expect" an oil pan catch can would not need to be as large due to the difference in how only a little little air will move out of the pan. 
KD

turboprop

Quote from: Heinz on January 14, 2020, 02:31:21 PM
Quote from: No Cents on January 14, 2020, 06:59:21 AM
[attach=0,msg1330015]

Has anyone tried to mount this style of catch can at the rear fender anywhere so that the saddlebag will still fit on? I'm wondering what catch can will work for those venting the oil pan.

One of my TC124 FXRs has an oil pan that is vented to a catch can but it is mounted on the front/left frame down tube. The heads are also vented to the same can. No issues.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

locker55

I was able to order a jaz can from jaz. It was CARiD that could not send one to a CA address.
The guy at jaz and I laughed at the fact that jaz is in CA and another business could not send to CA.
anyway one is coming in the mail and I went with the 3/8th.

sfmichael

good info here - thanks Coyote, Themodyne, Ray...didn't read all the posts but enough to see the value  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

dynabagger

My catch can. Picked up the can on ebay. Comes in other colors as well. The clamp I made and the fittings and abrasion/heat resistant hose from an auto parts store.

I feel that being able to see any changes in the amount of discharge is a worthwhile benefit. Telling of a change in ring seal quality or other issues.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

kd

Nice job.  Now you need to look into an oil filter relocation kit to save that hassle and mess.  There are several choices out there but I have this one and love it ......

HTTP://www.mooresensible.com/harley-davidson-touring--fxr.html

https://www.mooresensible.com/harley-davidson-touring--fxr.html
KD

No Cents

Quote from: kd on January 22, 2020, 10:54:31 AM
Nice job.  Now you need to look into an oil filter relocation kit to save that hassle and mess.  There are several choices out there but I have this one and love it ......

HTTP://www.mooresensible.com/harley-davidson-touring--fxr.html

[attach=0,msg1331351]
   X2...I absolutely love mine too!   :up:

Bagger

I've vented to atmosphere close to 115,000 miles without catch can.  Is there a particular mileage when oil will become noticeable?

bump

If your bike in dumping so much oil that it is making the back tire slick, you have way more that a crankcase problem.

locker55

I believe most of us do a catch can for a mist not a dump....I'm I right here??
I get a mist from air filter that can be seen after hot rodding the bike. (a lot of quick starts and back off's).
All the dumps I have ever seen has been to much oil for a catch can. Or at least looked like it after the dump.
Most dumps I seen is because of something went wrong or motor was built with cutting corners.
I just want the mist to be gone so I don't have to clean it off the bike.
All Haley's blow by. They are designed to do this back through the breather. Running a opened filter will show the mist quicker and a modified motor will show it even more. I believe this is why most stock covers wrap around the filter. this will catch most mist and make drip after setting. a mist won't be so noticeable this way. And if one can see stock set up puts that blow by right in the intake port.
Get a electric bike so we don't have to worry about this oil. Them jump scooters are pretty quick....lol
Then it would be a cord can not a catch can.....lol

Ohio HD

Quote from: locker55 on January 26, 2020, 07:15:01 AM

For me, this is the 100% reason I use one. Either oil or water vapor, it tends to get on the bike and let road grime build up on the frame. I'm not a clean the bike every time I ride it guy, so it keeps that area of the bikes frame less grungy.

Leed

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 26, 2020, 10:11:53 AM
Quote from: locker55 on January 26, 2020, 07:15:01 AM

For me, this is the 100% reason I use one. Either oil or water vapor, it tends to get on the bike and let road grime build up on the frame. I'm not a clean the bike every time I ride it guy, so it keeps that area of the bikes frame less grungy.

:agree:  Before I reran the breather line to a catch can the oil mist on the frame made it really grungy.

aabikrman

I'm with Paul on all this.....

Catch can is best and at a minimum I would run a hose and vent behind the rear tire.  I have one of my bikes set up temporarily with a hose routed under the swingarm and behind the saddlebag so any misting/dumping/venting occurs behind the tire. 

Why take a chance ????