April 24, 2024, 05:11:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tried and True SE Heavy Breather external breather modification.

Started by 838, September 03, 2019, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planemech

anyone ever try to install a venturi in the exhaust and vent to that? Its done on deleted diesels that way, not sure if it would work in a bike application or not.

speedzter

locker55

This is a 06 stock backing plate. I taped & installed brass fittings. Inside I grinded down the brass and cut a V in it so oil will not build up in there before it works it way out. I plugged the ends with a plastic cap. used a oil base urethane (used on auto windshields) to seal and glue the caps in. ran my hose from a brass T down hill to a catch can. (I bought three catch cans and decided on this one, even bought the jazz like no cents). I made a mount that went to the bottom and top hole. I taped a set screw with a sharp point to hold the hose in place on the inlet fitting. the hose goes quite a ways in the can fitting. painted bracket and hose clamps black. This is my job completed. Thanks for everyone posting pics and showing your lay out. I believe this helps a lot of us out here get more of the project when one can see it.

locker55

thanks again for all info.
Sorry about some of the pics.....

98fxstc

tdrglide

I've been using a small compressed air filter housing like this from mcmaster for years now as a catch can. No filter element. Oil mist and water condenses on inside of bowl. Run outlet down past trany vent. Easy to clean. Hidden behind left side cover.

Leed

Quote from: tdrglide on March 04, 2020, 10:19:13 AM
I've been using a small compressed air filter housing like this from mcmaster for years now as a catch can. No filter element. Oil mist and water condenses on inside of bowl. Run outlet down past trany vent. Easy to clean. Hidden behind left side cover.

Very clever!  I like it.  :up:

tdrglide

8287K12
Be sure and throw away the filter element inside. Not wanted. All else remains.

locker55

98fxstc
The hose clamps are the solid ones that use a crimping tool. They came sliver but I painted them black.
Harley uses them on the cross over line on the tank. You can get them from Harley or Grainger. They look cleaner then the screw ones. I used the screw ones on the mounting bracket so it can be moved when oil is changed.

tdrglide
How often do you empty the trap?  I had one of them on a on board air system on a jeep I built. It ran a York compressor and would put out some oil. I like the set up but it looks like a little work to me.
I like this set up because it can be emptied with a throw of a valve.
Like no cents says in this post he just empties with fuel fill ups. I like the thought of that.

Thanks again for all the showing. If it don't have the picture I can't put it together....Right???

tdrglide

Since I have to remove the side cover, I check it maybe once every few tank fulls of gas when at home. Before I take off from the house. Or in the morning when on a trip. You get a feel for it after awhile. More often when weather is cool and damp and short trips. Less often when hot and dry. It's mostly water condensate. If full and you don't check it'll maybe leave a couple drops of water on your garage floor. Only remember that happening a couple times. I've done 700mi days in the desert southwest in summer, interstate speeds, and only have maybe a half a teaspoon of oil in the morning. I've also done a tank full of gas in the Pacific Northwest in March and it's maybe 1/3 full, mostly water.

98fxstc

Quote from: locker55 on March 04, 2020, 06:00:47 PM
98fxstc
The hose clamps are the solid ones that use a crimping tool. They came sliver but I painted them black.
Harley uses them on the cross over line on the tank. You can get them from Harley or Grainger. They look cleaner then the screw ones. I used the screw ones on the mounting bracket so it can be moved when oil is changed.

I realized they were the same as oem but I hadn't seen them in black before
they look better
good job  :up:

No Cents

these are the hose clamps I use now. They are for fuel injector lines and they do a much better job of clamping than the radiator style clamps do...plus they don't dig down into your hose like the radiator style does.
Advance Auto and Auto Zone both carry them.

[attach=0,msg1335890]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

KD

FSG

I use Stainless T-Bolt Clamps whenever/wherever possible these days

kd

FSG, I haven't found those in sizes small enough for fuel hose etc..  Do you have a supplier or do you just use them for the larger sizes?
KD

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 03, 2019, 04:37:48 PM
Quote from: 838 on September 03, 2019, 03:58:06 PM

can I leave my adjustable pushrods be, and simply re-install everything as if they were solid and jus wait for the lifters to bleed back down before spinning it over... they're brand new lifters.

Yes, but turn the motor over so that both valves are closed when doing that cylinder. BEFORE loosening the rocker support.

Would I need to slowly, re-torque these back down with both valves closed, to allow the lifters to bleed? And (if yes) I'd imagine wait until your first one is finished bleeding before spinning the wheel to close both valves on the the second head.

No Cents

I personally would collapse the adjustable p/rods and start over with them..."after" the rocker arm supports are torqued down to spec first.
   Adjusting p/rods is easy and it doesn't take long to do. This way you know when the lifters have bled off when you can spin them in your fingers and you know it's okay so you can rotate the engine over to adjust the other cylinders p/rods. Why take the chance of bending a valve because a lifter hasn't bled down.  :nix:

Quote from: No Cents on January 14, 2020, 06:59:21 AM
      same catch cans...just different size inlets for your hoses.
[attach=0,msg1330015]

Think I'm going to go this route. Are these both "inlets" on the catch can? So you are able to run a direct line from each breather? How did you mount this to the frame?

No Cents

yes...you can run a line from each breather individually to the catch can. The catch can comes with a bracket that allows you to use a clamp on each end of the supplied bracket to the down tube. The two mounting clamps need to be purchased separately.

locker55

No cents,
I see you don't run a filter on top of catch can. does the filter clog up fast? I like the fact that your set up can breath freely when or if there will be a big blow by.
Seems my bike likes to blow some good amount sometimes. not always just sometimes when I'm on it hard.
It's mostly condensation. It's funny about oil, a small drop looks like a lot. and when in a 100 mile an hour wind it looks like even more.

No Cents

what I found was the filter does get a little clogged as the breathers vent thru the catch can. The moisture going thru the filter does build up and sticks to the filter media... this is why I did away with mine. I wanted my breathers to have no restrictions.

Quote from: No Cents on April 29, 2020, 04:32:03 PM
   what I found was the filter does get a little clogged as the breathers vent thru the catch can. The moisture going thru the filter does build up and sticks to the filter media... this is why I did away with mine. I wanted my breathers to have no restrictions.

Just got this in the mail. How does yours "breathe" without the filter?

No Cents

there is a picture of how I modified mine in reply #52. It now breathes out the tube instead of thru a filter.

Quote from: No Cents on January 11, 2020, 11:26:20 AM
    I made my backing plate and intake...but it is the same theory as Coyote's modification to his backing plate for venting using the barbs.
    I drain my catch can every time I fill the tank up. Not much comes out...but that way at least I know the catch can is empty. And I learned over time that the filter on top of the catch can can become soaked with the vapor mist and become a little clogged not letting it breath to it's full potential. I eliminated the filter on mine.

[attach=0,msg1329723]

[attach=1,msg1329723]

[attach=2,msg1329723]

What type of hose did you use that can handle the heat so close to the cylinder and header?