March 29, 2024, 04:12:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S oil pump sumping

Started by RTMike, September 08, 2019, 08:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTMike

Installed a new billet S&S oil pump on a engine I used on a chopper build,it worked fine for 250 miles then oil started buypassing the check valve when parked.
I checked it out reseated the ball with a punch and hammer and replaced the ball and spring.Everything is fine now.
A friend had the same problem with New S&S pump on an evo did the punch trick no more problems.
Has anyone else had these problems,just thinking maybe there tooling or program for machining the check valve seat needs some attention. :potstir:

76shuvlinoff

I've got just over 30,000 miles on a 2004 S&S "Shovel" long block.  The seasonal start-up this last spring was the first time she puked oil.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

There are multiple possible causes of sumping, trash in the oil is most common cause of check valve issues.

If this happens with any regularity cut open an oil filter and check for metal in the filter.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"