April 16, 2024, 05:07:22 AM

News:

ABS Module causing a misfire?

Started by jamminhd2000, August 05, 2019, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnynitro

Might the service writer have said ECM instead of ABS ?? ( Engine Control Module)

jamminhd2000

The service writer wrote down the part # for the abs module and told him this is what was on back order....I will shoot him a text today and see if he has any new info....jimmy

fbn ent

Yet another nail in the HD coffin..... :cry:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

jamminhd2000

I heard back from my buddy today. He got his bike back with a new abs module installed and within 20 miles bike started misfiring again. He has been in contact now with the owner of our local HD dealership. Bike is back in the shop getting a new plugs, plug wires, and coil. Bike is under extended warranty so I guess the dealership can keep throwing parts at it. I will report back as soon as I hear from him again. His bike is supposed to be done tomorrow :pop: :pop: :pop:Jimmy

IronButt70

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 20, 2019, 03:50:37 PM
I heard back from my buddy today. He got his bike back with a new abs module installed and within 20 miles bike started misfiring again.
Is this really a surprise to anyone?  :wtf:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

tomcat64

Quote from: convert1967 on August 06, 2019, 10:23:49 AM
Anytime my bike has been at the dealer over a month for the same issue, I've called Harley customer support and they made my bike payments.

I call bullsh!t..

PoorUB

Quote from: tomcat64 on August 21, 2019, 06:10:48 AM
Quote from: convert1967 on August 06, 2019, 10:23:49 AM
Anytime my bike has been at the dealer over a month for the same issue, I've called Harley customer support and they made my bike payments.

I call bullsh!t..

Maybe put his account on hold so he didn't have to make payments? Which does nothing but rack up more interest!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jamminhd2000

So I talked to my buddy yesterday and he finally got his bike back....the dealership found signs that the coil and spark plug wires were carbon tracking so they replaced them and all has been good for about a 1,000 miles....go figure....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Quote from: biglew55 on August 06, 2019, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 05, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may. He was told that the abs module is what's causing his intermittent misfire. Bike runs fine then misses for a bit but then fixes itself. No current or historic codes stored.Has anyone heard of this? Thanks all....jimmy

My 2018 is doing this right now.  I'm taking it to the shop tonight.  I already had the plugs changed and zip-tied any suspect areas on the plug wires.  This time, it better be getting the coil that I told them to replace the first time.
Did the coil and wires fix yours as well?

PoorUB

May to almost the middle of September to troubleshot and replace a coil and coil wires? :banghead:

But oh, no. Lets replace the ABS module first! (Can anyone explain to me how the ABS module would affect the engine operation?) Maybe i am mistaken, but I don't believe the ABS has any affect on the engine electronics.

Hopefully this is the last time either of you step into this dealer!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jamminhd2000

Quote from: PoorUB on September 08, 2019, 08:14:38 AM
May to almost the middle of September to troubleshot and replace a coil and coil wires? :banghead:

But oh, no. Lets replace the ABS module first! (Can anyone explain to me how the ABS module would affect the engine operation?) Maybe i am mistaken, but I don't believe the ABS has any affect on the engine electronics.

The only reason it was there was because it was under warranty....I tried to convince him to bring it to a different dealership.

rbabos

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:22:28 AM

The only reason it was there was because it was under warranty....I tried to convince him to bring it to a different dealership.
Any dealer can do warranty work as it's factory warranty, not dealer.
Ron

jamminhd2000

Quote from: rbabos on September 08, 2019, 08:26:43 AM
Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:22:28 AM

Any dealer can do warranty work as it's factory warranty, not dealer.
Ron
That's what I told him

biglew55

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:03:34 AM
Quote from: biglew55 on August 06, 2019, 11:14:02 AM
Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may. He was told that the abs module is what's causing his intermittent misfire. Bike runs fine then misses for a bit but then fixes itself. No current or historic codes stored.Has anyone heard of this? Thanks all....jimmy

My 2018 is doing this right now.  I'm taking it to the shop tonight.  I already had the plugs changed and zip-tied any suspect areas on the plug wires.  This time, it better be getting the coil that I told them to replace the first time.
Did the coil and wires fix yours as well?
Changed my plugs and wires this time.  Running fine for now.  Last time, it lasted about 6K miles (2 months).  The first time was from a dealership in CA who didn't log the ticket.  They were just trying to get me back on the road before the place closed for the weekend.  They only charged me for the plugs.  So, the dealer here has to start from scratch for their troubleshooting.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

bump

Back in 02 I bought a FLHTCI. Rode it to KY and service engine light came on. Stopped at Dealer and they changed plug wires. Rode it on trip for couple days and light came back on.Rode it home and took it to dealer I bought it from and they put a new coil on it. Headed the 40 miles home and light came on again. Stopped at auto parts store on way home and bought a set of champion plugs. Haven't had problem since then, 17 years and still going.
Not on same plugs, change them every spring.

smoserx1

Was your 02 FLHTCI one of the first ones to have the Delphi EFI as opposed to the Magneti-Marelli?  Reason I asked was lots of folks posted back then about non-stock plugs (and wires) causing codes to be thrown.  Apparently some combos fooled the ion sensing knock suppression feature.  Champion plugs supposedly were the same specs as stock.

Dan89flstc

Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may.

This whole thread is based on a second hand story....
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

chaos901

QuoteWas your 02 FLHTCI one of the first ones to have the Delphi EFI as opposed to the Magneti-Marelli?

I had a 2002 E-G Standard and it was Delphi, I believe that was the first year, still had the Timken bearing too.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

tomcat64

Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 09, 2019, 07:34:38 AM
Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may.

This whole thread is based on a second hand story....

yup