March 28, 2024, 02:41:13 AM

News:

Carby suggestions for TC88/113"

Started by Dodgy, September 09, 2019, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy

Hi, I have decided to do some modifications to my TC88 with some parts I have left over and I am after some carby suggestions.

Installing a 4.375" Screamin Eagle crankshaft, bored out 110" to 113" jugs (with case mods), modified CVO heads, S&S 625 or 585 gear drive easystart cams. Also doing the cam support plate and oil pump upgrade, but that has no relevance.

I was thinking of fitting a S&S G series with manifold etc, but was wondering if a CV44 would be big enough for my needs, or are there any other better suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Dave

Hossamania

I can't tell you if the 44 is big enough for the 113", but I can tell you I have one on my 95" and it works very well, pretty easy to tune. The big problem is getting parts to tune it, the tuning kits are no longer available.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

speedzter

I'm a mikuni fan, and used a Hsr45 when I was running a 113 TC

Dodgy

Quote from: speedzter on September 09, 2019, 08:45:17 PM
I'm a mikuni fan, and used a Hsr45 when I was running a 113 TC

It looks like they are pretty much a direct swap for the CV. Interesting!

Hillside Motorcycle

S&S G with a Thunderjet, and insure you are port-matched to the 1.780" manifold ID.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

agree`d with scott,G carb with 1.780 runners

rigidthumper

If you like the feel of the stock carb, but need lots of airflow, might try a CV51.  27928-07A carb, and 27927-07 manifold.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

wfolarry

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 10, 2019, 05:45:46 AM
If you like the feel of the stock carb, but need lots of airflow, might try a CV51.  27928-07A carb, and 27927-07 manifold.
Are those still available? I thought they discontinued them.

rigidthumper

IDK- thought someone might still have one on the shelf?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Even if they are available, are tuning kits still available?

jsachs1

My go to carb for up to 113" is a 45 mm Mikuni, or a CV 51. Anything with more cu. in., is a modified S&S "G". :up:
John

Dodgy

Thanks for all the feedback. Probably going to go with the G series due to availability, ease of tuning etc.

pwmorris

Quote from: Dodgy on September 11, 2019, 02:08:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Probably going to go with the G series due to availability, ease of tuning etc.
Good call... :up:

Hossamania

And they have the coolest looking cover!

speedzter

Quote from: Dodgy on September 11, 2019, 02:08:27 PM

Have you had much experience tuning the S&S ?

Dodgy

Bsmith153

All the research i did when i built my 04 flht said if some one knows how to build a cv carb, itll give you the best mileage, power and if you do any elevation change riding u aint gotta mess with it. My 2cents.  Bob woods built my cv 51 and it works great. Lousy milege but thats more the 124" and my lack of self control. Lol
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

koko3052

No one is saying that the CV 51 is not a good carb....just can't get any parts for them anymore. :cry:

Rsw

Quote from: Bsmith153 on September 29, 2019, 08:59:59 AM
All the research i did when i built my 04 flht said if some one knows how to build a cv carb, itll give you the best mileage, power and if you do any elevation change riding u aint gotta mess with it. My 2cents.  Bob woods built my cv 51 and it works great. Lousy milege but thats more the 124" and my lack of self control. Lol
You sure that Bob Wood and not Bob Woods did your carb????

Hillside Motorcycle

Those 51mm CV's were a darn good carb. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

Agree, I have one on my 113", love it. As stated previously, not sure what the future holds if it tears a diaphragm or something, as parts are getting unobtainium. Should it come to that, next choice would be Mikuni HSR48.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

MikeL

I have a CV 51 on my 2000 RKC 124. I like it.

MIKE

jsachs1

My go to carb for up to 113" is a 45 mm Mikuni, or a CV 51. Anything with more cu. in., is a modified S&S "G". :up:
John
[/quote]
This is a 110" B engine I did with the CV 51 Carb. They work real well.