March 28, 2024, 06:45:34 AM

News:

Blew a oil line out

Started by hbkeith, September 11, 2019, 02:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Riding my FXR hard last night , looking at oil pressure noticed it bouncing , then went to 0 lifters started to clatter hit kill switch coasted off road , chrome steel oil line that goes to filter housing came out of housing , WTF , remember putting those in the seems a bit finicky to lock in good , new Farrell's/seals when put together , never at one of those lines come loose in any EVO ive owned , cheap made seals ? suggestions on reinstall

TexNorth

I have never been a fan of the hard lines.  Something about using friction to hold a line that is pumping a slick fluid.

My 1992 needed to have all the rubber lines replaced anyway, so, I changed my filter mount and put barb fittings in.  Replaced the hard lines with rubber ones.  No worries....

Deye76

What Tex North said. Hope your motor is OK.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

I think that is return oil.

Look for the possibility of a collapsed or plugged filter, also the possibility that the filter is connected backwards.
In addition to the possibility of a pinched hose in the return circuit that might cause over-pressurization.

All spin-on filters should be connected so oil enters the filter on the outer passage and oil exits Via the center.
Easy to check by removing the filter and cranking the motor to see how the oil flow is routed.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hbkeith

September 11, 2019, 12:50:42 PM #4 Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:54:50 PM by hbkeith
it was the outer one on the filter housing that blew out , yes should've did barbs , so the outer line on filter housing should come from where ? and what size threads are those 7/16 ?

Burnout

The line that goes to the outer passage should be oil into the filter.

If it is hooked up backwards (oil into the center) an oil filter with a good anti-drainback valve will block flow and blow off lines (or sump running).

There should be very little pressure in the return, lots of flow with about half of it air.

If you have it connected with oil from the pump into the outer passage and clean oil out the center of the filter to the tank and it blows off a hose there is a good chance you have a bad or plugged filter.

Remove the filter and crank the motor briefly, oil should show from the outer passage of the filter housing not the center.

JW113

I can't speak to HBKeith's FXR, but on my Softail, it is almost impossible to route the hard lines backwards. They have bends in them that will only line up with the fittings in the oil pump and filter bracket as they are intended to. I have to say I am no fan of these hard lines. A real PITA to deal with, especially when working on with motor in frame. I had to remove the oil pump outer cover to even get the oil lines in/out. I also found out the hard way, DO NOT go crazy tightening those expansion fitting nuts on the oil lines. Else, indeed, they will leak. Just like the smaller version on Shovelhead/Ironhead top end oil lines.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

hbkeith

JW , i know what you mean about how the hard lines route but I swaped engines , oil tank out , new lines etc. i made a oil line  diagram when i pulled it apart of how they went and if i remember correct ( usually i don't) it seemed diferant from my HD Manual. got some hose barbs tonight , gona put it on lift and check things out this weekend , pull the filter .been working 12 hour days

Deye76

At the bottom of your engine case is a allen plug, drain the sump, inspect for metal in the oil, while it's on the lift.

hbkeith

Quote from: Deye76 on September 12, 2019, 04:18:26 PM
At the bottom of your engine case is a allen plug, drain the sump, inspect for metal in the oil, while it's on the lift.
:up:

Flhfxd

Quote from: hbkeith on September 12, 2019, 03:52:54 PM
JW , i know what you mean about how the hard lines route but I swaped engines , oil tank out , new lines etc. i made a oil line  diagram when i pulled it apart of how they went and if i remember correct ( usually i don't) it seemed diferant from my HD Manual. got some hose barbs tonight , gona put it on lift and check things out this weekend , pull the filter .been working 12 hour days

Vaguely remember that the manual schematic is wrong and will leave you scratching your head because if you follow it the hard lines don't fit proper. It's misleading.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

hbkeith

Quote from: Flhfxd on September 14, 2019, 06:46:46 AM

Vaguely remember that the manual schematic is wrong and will leave you scratching your head because if you follow it the hard lines don't fit proper. It's misleading.
it is confusing , the way the hard lines lay out the line from bottom of oil pump goes to inner hole on filter housing ( its how mine is ) ,my HD service manual shows bottom of oil pump to outer hole .

Deye76

IIRC you have a Ultima motor, go by the diagram that came with the motor.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/CSEngineManual.pdf
Scroll down to page 10.

hbkeith

yeah , that says bottom of oil pump facing forward is return , inside hole/fitting is return , if im reading correct I had mine right

FSG

Quote from: Flhfxd on September 14, 2019, 06:46:46 AM

the manual schematic is wrong    :up:    yes it is

FSG

oil goes into the filter via the outside holes and come out the centre hole

In on the out / Out on the in

hbkeith

dyslexic sucks LOL ,  is anything in the HD manual correct ? fittings on oil tank for FXR ?  afraid to start this bitch back up ?

FSG

capn

Undo the oil return line at tank then start it check for flow.

hbkeith

got it back together week or so ago , oil flow was correct , bottom end noise now , gota decide do I want to chance repairing this Ultima put it back in and it not handle HARD ( friends said EL Broke O cant handle you) riding or do a little mods to the stock 20000 miles engine and know I got dependability  :scratch:

hbkeith

October 24, 2019, 11:18:17 AM #20 Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:29:52 AM by hbkeith
92 FXR 113 Ultima.finally slowed down at work , bike making knocking noise from compensator area after I changed oil , fixed line etc ,good oil pressure , no metal from oil . so now i pulled primary cover ,comp and primary chain seemed little wore, put on a used compensator a buddy had and the noise wasn't as bad , so got new compensator new primary chain , put back together sounds pretty good , 10 mile ride and its back to loud again  :wtf: listen to it with stethescope noise sounds to be from compensator . crank bearing make the comp loud ? thoughts on this EL Broke 0 113 . will ad that when first fired this bike up after getting it built the first time , everything thing was very quite. the morning I blew the oil line out I thought I heard a faint rattle in comp/lower end area . also will ad , Comp and clutch assembly  upgraded to 98+ , 92 FXR chain when bike was built

thumper 823

Try a plain sprocket and see if the noise goes away (comp delete)
2-if you bought Chanease comp they are good for very little.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Burnout

Did you check for metal in the oil? That will show if there is a bearing problem.

hbkeith

Quote from: Burnout on October 24, 2019, 08:23:54 PM
Did you check for metal in the oil? That will show if there is a bearing problem.
didn't see any,
Quote from: thumper 823 on October 24, 2019, 12:02:28 PM
Try a plain sprocket and see if the noise goes away (comp delete)
2-if you bought Chanease comp they are good for very little.
I hear ya , I just find it hard to believe out of 3 comps ( 2 known good used ones and 1 new one ) that all 3 make noise .

thumper 823

Were they used?
As I said I went through three in a hurry.
I decided a BDL belt was cheaper and got rid of the problem of endless comps
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH