April 18, 2024, 10:43:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OEM Speaker Question

Started by dwjohnson, September 15, 2019, 05:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 31, 2017, 08:36:55 PM
I upgraded the speakers in my 12 EG. It's "ok" but pretty sure I need an amp now.
Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2017, 01:52:28 PM
Speakers would help, but an amp and speakers would help a lot more if you are going for better quality at volume. The stock radio only pushes so much power, and better speakers won't help a bunch at higher volumes. The amp is what helps the speakers.

Hi, I found these two answers I think to my question but wanted to clarify for certainty.
I feel I need better speakers for my 2011 Limited with stock audio system including rear tour pack speaker setup. My problem is I seem to have plenty of volume but the speakers start to distort/static/cutout badly from about 3/4 volume and up.  Am I understanding this correctly, even though it seems the speakers are overloading from to much power, it's actually needing more volume from an amp? Thanks for any help

Hossamania

I am no expert, but I've blown a lot of speakers over-driving them with the volume knob. I've found that the louder it goes, the more distortion occurs when using the receiver or deck unit with no amp. Once an amp is introduced, the deck does not need to be driven as hard with the volume knob to gain louder volume, and the distortion is much less, as the deck is not being over driven.
In short, yes, an amp will help solve distortion at louder volume.
Understand the quality of sound coming from your source, too. Tapes, CDs, digital players, usually send cleaner sound than the radio. The signal from radio stations is generally pretty awful, no amp will cure that. And, if you have it cranked, and the radio station signal gets a little broken up sending more static than normal (static is always there with radio), that will do your speakers no favors.
Now the question is, which system to install? Many good choices, perusing this site will find many answers.
Good luck, let us know how you like your new set up with your new amp and speakers!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Haven't been to this page in a long time.  I never did get an amp.  Back then it seemed the more I read there were more trade offs and issues than I wanted to deal with.  In a half helmet I am fine to 70-75.  I never was one to blast my music for the benefit of everyone around me.  Even put stock mufflers back on my bike. I'm old :teeth:

From what I've seen a lot of guys are pretty happy with a good helmet bluetooth system  YMMV.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway