March 28, 2024, 11:21:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Won’t shift with motor running

Started by 97dyna, September 16, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97dyna

I can shift thru the gears with the motor off. With the motor running, can't engage any of the gears. However, if I remove the transmission dipstick and start the motor, the gears will engage normally. (Trans and motor oil is correct.)

Hossamania

Cut the dipstick off, or progressively cut the end down. If it shifts, the stick was hitting something.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

thats an easy fix  never heard that problem before

Hossamania

Has any work been done on it recently, or the dipstick replaced?

97dyna

No work recently. Baffled by why it will shift with the dipstick in and the motor off.  But won't shift with dipstick in and motor running.  Same dipstick since new.

Hossamania

Hossamania

If you start it in gear and start rolling, it still will not shift?
All I can think for cheap easy fix is possible bent or worn linkage, worn throw out bearing, clutch adjustment. Does the end of the dipstick have any witness marks? Post a picture of it.
Check the vent to make sure it is not plugged, I doubt that would cause the issue, but it's worth a look.
More expensive fix, the gearset is shifting due to wear of components, rebuild necessary.

david lee

Thermodyne

Something is wrong under that right trans cover.  could be release bearing related, or something wrong with the ball ramps.  Could also be bad trapdoor bearings.

PoorUB

That is the first thing I thought of too, bad bearings causing the shaft to move out of place with the engine running.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

97dyna

Thanks for the replies.  Not too excited about where this going.
Got around to examining the dipstick and found wear marks from the clutch cable mid way and farther up the stick.  None on the bottom.

MikeL

Really loose clutch cable. The dip stick is going in and rubbing the wrong side of the clutch cable hanging up the cable. I'm surprised the dip stick is still in 1 piece.

MIKE

Hossamania

It's actually pretty common for the cable to rub on the dipstick, and often cause a break in the stick. For that reason, I cut my stick off, just use the cap, and got a second stick for measuring fluid level only.

97dyna

Cut the dipstick and adjusted the clutch - problem solved!
Thanks for the input!!