FL M8 softail front forks spring upgrade question

Started by Adam76, April 05, 2023, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys, I have a YSS fork upgrade kit for my 2019 M8 FL softail.

Is it possible to replace springs and fork oil without removing the forks from the bike?

Thanks.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

rigidthumper

Wheel & axle have to be removed to pull the lower bolts (only way to drain), which means the frame has to be supported/blocked.
Risers w/bars have to be removed to clear springs.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 05, 2023, 06:19:09 PMWheel & axle have to be removed to pull the lower bolts (only way to drain), which means the frame has to be supported/blocked.

Thanks! That's great.

Adam76

April 08, 2023, 01:49:07 AM #3 Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 02:02:01 AM by Adam76
I got the 19mm hex for the front axle,  but does anyone know what size IDHEX the fork drain bolts (19) are?

Thanks

Adam76

Adam76

Looks like I'll have to remove forks from triple trees after all, as I'm replacing the entire inner components with the YSS kit. Having the forks off the bike will make the job a little easier I'm thinking?

Happy Easter and happy resurrection day to all.

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 05, 2023, 06:19:09 PMWheel & axle have to be removed to pull the lower bolts (only way to drain), which means the frame has to be supported/blocked.

OK, I took the front wheel out, drained the fork oil both sides and replaced the drain screw and new brass washers. Then put the wheel back on and opened the top fork tube caps to remove the springs etc...

My YSS instructions say to add the oil to the specified level (harley manual) and then "bleed the fork" by fully compressing and relaxing the fork.

How am I supposed to do this with the forks on the bike and the front wheel back on?

I'm thinking maybe at this point to just pull the front end apart and do each fork on the work bench? Or is there still a way to get it done with the forks still mounted on the bike?
Thanks

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

xlfan

Quote from: Adam76 on April 08, 2023, 01:49:07 AMI got the 19mm hex for the front axle,  but does anyone know what size IDHEX the fork drain bolts (19) are?

Thanks

This is a different fork. Is your YSS instructions for an upside down fork as well?