May 01, 2024, 07:56:50 PM

News:

Drag inner primary bearing kit

Started by FLDavetrain, April 22, 2023, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLDavetrain

Hi guys, replacing the IPB with the drag 1120-0281 and noticed the bearings are way looser than the OEM bearing. Question is are these looser roller bearings an issue for reliability? What's the feedback on this kit? Thanks for the feedback
currently 510ci on tap

FSG

what are you planing to put this kit in ?

FLDavetrain

currently 510ci on tap

turboprop

Quote from: FLDavetrain on April 22, 2023, 03:42:31 PMHi guys, replacing the IPB with the drag 1120-0281 and noticed the bearings are way looser than the OEM bearing. Question is are these looser roller bearings an issue for reliability? What's the feedback on this kit? Thanks for the feedback

Drag manufactures nothing. The bearing should have an oem number on the side of it. That is what is important. The quality and fit of that bearing will be widely known. The real question is what is the number on the bearing?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JSD

Koyo is in the 98 - 06 . Check your original . I bet its a china bearing from DS

FLDavetrain

I appreciate the comments. Origin of the bearing not really my concern. Drag bearing is already in so can't read off any numbers. I'm second guessing it. I compared the oem to it more closely after the swap and I'm looking for input on whether the rollers having lots more play means inferior bearing. I might decide to hold off on final assembly and get another oem one. Anyone who knows why some bearings have looser rollers than others?
currently 510ci on tap

choseneasy

Bearings are spec'd to certain tolerances- with rollers or balls having different clearance. It all depends on application and the duty the bearing sees.
  Less clearance is not always better.
China is capable of producing as good a bearing as anyone else but cheaper is why bearings are sourced there.
  Just my opinion.

JSD

Remove circlip i can see numbers brand . No brand China bearing no good. Remember when trans in neutral a loose bearing will let hub wobble and nip at sprocket and chain . Also when starting pinion & ring gear. 

billbuilds

I put part of one of those kits in my 2011 FLHRC last year. Didn't notice the rollers being looser however the inner race basically slid on to my main shaft right up to the step. Turns out it was about three thou larger ID than the OEM one. The Indy that I bought it from wasn't particularly accommodating so I bought an inner race from the dealer.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ohio HD

Quote from: billbuilds on April 25, 2023, 03:34:23 AMI put part of one of those kits in my 2011 FLHRC last year. Didn't notice the rollers being looser however the inner race basically slid on to my main shaft right up to the step. Turns out it was about three thou larger ID than the OEM one. The Indy that I bought it from wasn't particularly accommodating so I bought an inner race from the dealer.

I'm not surprised the race was like this. I stick with OEM or use the S&S race. A know a few guys have used the V-Factor race with good results.