April 27, 2024, 04:58:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear sprocket life expectancy - chain drive

Started by dynabagger, September 12, 2019, 08:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynabagger

So after 30k kms, my sprocket has gone for a  :turd: . Funny what you notice when your not looking for it. I'm a little surprised but maybe I shouldn't be. Sport bikes guys are changing them easily that often. What life expecting are others getting from steel sprockets? Im using a top quality EK xring chain and PBI sprockets. Chain adjusted with 1" deflection with 3" of shock travel.

Keith
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

barny7655

How long is a piece of string? chain and sprocket sets,i change them all at once ,O ring chain, i was getting around 30K before the sprockets got sharp and chain stretch, never worried me about how long they lasted,there wasnt any bind on front sprocket due to being to small in DIA ,tightened on tightest links[adjusted] had a untimmed sprocket set also ,where you ride may effect your wear,maintain it properly ,never bought cheap either, thats about it , ride safe , barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Norton Commando

Thirty-thousand miles is great mileage for a chain and sprocket set. On my KLR 650 I change them every 15,000 miles.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

PoorUB

Kilometers,  not miles. So about 18,000 miles.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CndUltra88

Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2019, 06:04:41 AM
Kilometers,  not miles. So about 18,000 miles.

Yeah, that pesky metric system......
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

a_disalvo

If you use an O-ring chain, you still have to lub the exterior parts that contact the sprockets. I use chain wax every 500 miles, still have the same sprockets on with over 15K on them. Solid rollers extend chain life but at the expense of the sprockets. Your choice what to replace but I vote for changing the chain rather than the sprockets. JMHO, Frank

PoorUB

If the chain is worn out, I replace the sprockets too.

Coyote

Geezer_Glider

Wonder if people aren't changing chains soon enough? Old Iron head sporty had original rear and front sprockets when traded at ~50K miles and they looked like new. Went through the stock Duckworth and 2 Diamond chains during that time, non of which were O-ring, just messy old chin lube. Yes I realize the sporty was lighter but I wasn't real easy on it and it saw a fair amount of rain riding and highway speeds. Old Kawasaki H2 had a Circle Industries Aluminum rear that was still like new after 20K miles and it was "used" heavily at times. (miss-spent youth!) Again 2 chains in that time period.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Norton Commando

Quote from: Coyote on September 13, 2019, 08:58:51 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2019, 08:54:22 AM

:up:  Yep, me too.

Me three.

I buy o-ring chains and never lube them.  I do, however, clean the chain with WD-40 every 1,000 miles or so.

Jason

1workinman

Quote from: dynabagger on September 12, 2019, 08:20:55 PM
So after 30k kms, my sprocket has gone for a  :turd: . Funny what you notice when your not looking for it. I'm a little surprised but maybe I shouldn't be. Sport bikes guys are changing them easily that often. What life expecting are others getting from steel sprockets? Im using a top quality EK xring chain and PBI sprockets. Chain adjusted with 1" deflection with 3" of shock travel.

Keith
Keith that is what I have on my street glide and not sure may be the road glide . I have not noticed that much wear but If it goes out I just replace it better than a broken belt for me .

dynabagger

I'm definitely not lubing it often enough. You guys bring chain lube with you when you go for a 1000+ mile trip?. Maybe I should? I just got back from a 2 day 1100 km ride (there I go mixing in the metric system again) to Revelstoke BC. I bought a can of chain lube in Salmon Arm just because it was getting in my head that I was neglecting it.

Riding season here is close to over so I'll make a chain and sprocket change a winter project.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

PoorUB

No, I would not lube a chain during a 1,000 or even a 2,000 miles ride. I would before I left and call it good. Certainly with a modern oil ring chain you do not have to.

Rockout Rocker Products

On a Triumph forum I belong to, they almost universally install "Scotoiler" automatic chain oilers... lubing chains is considered critical. But then, 90% of the members are in the UK so wet road conditions may enter into it  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Norton Commando

Attached is a link to an article about chain life without conventional lube. The author achieved over 30,000 miles on a KLR chain by merely cleaning it periodically with WD40.

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf   

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Norton Commando on September 13, 2019, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: Coyote on September 13, 2019, 08:58:51 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2019, 08:54:22 AM

:up:  Yep, me too.

Me three.

I buy o-ring chains and never lube them.  I do, however, clean the chain with WD-40 every 1,000 miles or so.

Jason

When my shovel was getting all the miles I'd wipe the O ring chain down with WD-40 followed by a spray chain wax several times during the riding season (Michigan) . I changed the rear sprocket a lot when playing around with gearing but at nearly 30,000 miles the trans sprocket still looked plenty good enough to leave it alone. I rarely ride that bike these days though.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on September 15, 2019, 07:38:48 AM
When my shovel was getting all the miles I'd wipe the O ring chain down with WD-40 followed by a spray chain wax several times during the riding season (Michigan) . I changed the rear sprocket a lot when playing around with gearing but at nearly 30,000 miles the trans sprocket still looked plenty good enough to leave it alone. I rarely ride that bike these days though.

Agree, with the miles. When I was Shovel riding, and mine were also larger motors, I was seeing upward of 50,000 on o-ring chains and sprockets. At oil change time, I'd clean the chain with kerosene and a stiff nylon bristle brush. Then lube with chain lube. There wasn't chain wax back then. Then occasionally between oil changes (what were 2,000 to 2,500 miles) I'd shoot some chain lube on. I always let the lube set before riding the bike. Let excess drop off rather than sling off onto the bike. 

Prior to o-ring chains, maybe I would see 10,000 to 15,000 miles. As soon as the chains wear, the link pins loosen and the chain sections stretch, the sprockets will start to wear.

Deye76

In my Shovelhead days before o-ring chains, I didn't enjoy pulling the inner primary, so depending on miles I replaced the chain once or twice a season (Michigan). Chains were fairly inexpensive then. O-ring chains were a game changer, clean and lube at every 2500-3000 miles, like Ohio 50k was not a problem. A RK (heavy rectangular side plates) that I had on my 93" Shovel went almost 60K.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

SmokyOwl

I'd imagine lifespan depends on the type of riding done and the aggressiveness of the rider as well.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

pwmorris

Quote from: SmokyOwl on September 19, 2019, 09:58:43 PM
I'd imagine lifespan depends on the type of riding done and the aggressiveness of the rider as well.
Yup-
It's not miles, but what kind. A roll on power stock or mild bagger who cruzes at 2,200 rpm is completely different as to longevity, than how I use my street bike for example....so of course completely different results-and that goes for all parts.
Also, the material used.
I run aluminum rear sprockets, so running steel will of course have different wear expiration dates.
Keep drive chain properly adjusted (inspect chain regularly and especially after any hard riding as stretching does occur), aligned (important on how and where on teeth sprocket wears), and occasionally lubed and and you are good.
Sprockets are what, 60 bucks?

Also, occasional inspection of the primary chain goes along with it.

It's just weekend maintenance. You are already there so do them all, including primary if needed for piece of mind.