April 23, 2024, 03:20:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

PowerVision Instantaneous Fuel Economy Feature

Started by Ken R, September 23, 2019, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

I know the vast majority want more power/torque performance. That's great.  But when on trips,  I enjoy fuel efficiency.   

One of the gauges that I keep displayed on my PowerVision is the Instantaneous Fuel Efficiency.  Like in my truck, it displays the MPG as I drive . . . not an average; but the actual MPG.  I can see variances from coasting to maintaining speed to hill climbing to WOT.   (Just like in my Truck).

It worked perfectly on my 2013 Limited.   But not so good  with the same device connected to my 2019 Limited.  The Instantaneous fuel  Efficiency varies wildly from about 39 MPG to 350 mpg; even with a steady throttle on a flat road with no wind.  In other words, it's totally useless! 

The Trip Fuel consumed, on the other hand, is uncannily accurate.  In our recent 2000 mile trip, it agreed with the gas pump to within .1 gallon in almost every tankfill.  A couple were within .03 gallons!  We're talking cups or smaller  differences!   

So it seems  that the instantaneous mileage display should be much more accurate than it is.

Does anyone keep Instantaneous Mileage on their PV screens?   Or, would some put it on their PV screens and  let me know what they see? 

Ken

rbabos

Quote from: Ken R on September 23, 2019, 02:14:05 PM
I know the vast majority want more power/torque performance. That's great.  But when on trips,  I enjoy fuel efficiency.   

One of the gauges that I keep displayed on my PowerVision is the Instantaneous Fuel Efficiency.  Like in my truck, it displays the MPG as I drive . . . not an average; but the actual MPG.  I can see variances from coasting to maintaining speed to hill climbing to WOT.   (Just like in my Truck).

It worked perfectly on my 2013 Limited.   But not so good  with the same device connected to my 2019 Limited.  The Instantaneous fuel  Efficiency varies wildly from about 39 MPG to 350 mpg; even with a steady throttle on a flat road with no wind.  In other words, it's totally useless! 

The Trip Fuel consumed, on the other hand, is uncannily accurate.  In our recent 2000 mile trip, it agreed with the gas pump to within .1 gallon in almost every tankfill.  A couple were within .03 gallons!  We're talking cups or smaller  differences!   

So it seems  that the instantaneous mileage display should be much more accurate than it is.

Does anyone keep Instantaneous Mileage on their PV screens?   Or, would some put it on their PV screens and  let me know what they see? 

Ken
I use to view it on my v rod and yes it was very accurate, confirmed with distance and volume checks. You fuel up,  reset the mpg on the PV and watch it climb up slowly to what would be normal and you could see it change coasting down hills or getting on the throttle. I found it should be reset on each fill up or it will lock onto a number and not change much from that if just left without resetting the mpg on the screen. I no longer view it as it was just to verify my tune overall and it's obvious more throttle burns more fuel and down hills save fuel. Best mpg is also in hot weather, with cold not as good even driven the same way.
Ron

KE5RBD

the instant mpg quit working with the 2014's.  Dynajet wasn't interested in fixing it.  I think it had something to do with the digital signals on the 14 up.  The trip A and B mpg still works though.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

Ken R

Quote from: KE5RBD on September 23, 2019, 09:44:00 PM
the instant mpg quit working with the 2014's.  Dynajet wasn't interested in fixing it.  I think it had something to do with the digital signals on the 14 up.  The trip A and B mpg still works though.

NO KIDDING!
That would be disappointing. 
Since posting this, I contacted Dynojet and explained the symptoms on my 2019.  The reply was that on their personal motorcycles, it's working fine, but would investigate further and get back with me. Then, just today, they sent an email giving my question a case number. 
I sure hope they can fix it. I'm weird . . . I use it as entertainment when on long trips in my cars, truck, and motorcycle.

Ken

KE5RBD

They gave me the same ring around the rosie on the 14 Limited.  I haven't checked it lately.  I used it as a tuning aid in cruise area.  Not big deal, but enjoyed playing with it. Trip A and B still give average economy.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

"Instantaneous Fuel Economy Feature" = Lean condition.
Tom

Winston Wolf

It still works.

The first thing you need to do is to adjust the fuel used correction factor on the trip meter, so that is as accurate as possible.  It will take a couple fill ups to make sure the fuel used is the same as fuel put in the tank.

The second thing to do it set the max limit on the instant economy gauge to a realistic number.  I have mine set at 75 MPG I think. Then it won't show a higher number.  I like to have it on an analog style gauge where it changes the color depending on the number it's at.

Good luck.

Ken R

Quote from: Winston Wolf on September 28, 2019, 05:27:41 AM
It still works.

The first thing you need to do is to adjust the fuel used correction factor on the trip meter, so that is as accurate as possible.  It will take a couple fill ups to make sure the fuel used is the same as fuel put in the tank.

The second thing to do it set the max limit on the instant economy gauge to a realistic number.  I have mine set at 75 MPG I think. Then it won't show a higher number.  I like to have it on an analog style gauge where it changes the color depending on the number it's at.

Good luck.

THanks for the advice.
The Trip economy is spot ON!  I use Trip A for Tank-to-Tank and Trip B for the entire multiple-tank trips).    At every fill up in Trip A is within a tenth of a gallon; and often within .05 gallon.
But I hadn't considered setting the limits of the Instantaneous gauge.  Your suggestion may, indeed, have some merit.  I'll do that and report back.

Ken

Ken R

Well,
I set the limits for the Instantaneous Fuel Economy gauge to 20 for the low and 150 for the high.    Did this on digital gauges as well as the analog-looking gauges.   The result was the same.  The Instantaneous Fuel reading is totally erratic.  With absolutely steady throttle, the gauge readings still bounced wildly between about 40 mg and 150 (which was the upper limit I set).

Took my PV off my motor and temporarily installed it on a 2013 with no CANBUS.  The PV's Instantaneous Fuel reading displayed as I expected.  With gentle throttle, it stayed within 2-3 mpg.  (not the 100-300 mpg erratic display. 

I'm convinced.  The PowerVision Instantaneous Fuel display doesn't like CANBUS.  I was told by Dynojet that the motorcycle produces the signal and the PV deciphers it for display. 

I sure hate to lose this information.  Every newer vehicle I own or have driven has an instantaneous fuel mileage gauge.   I've grown accustomed to seeing it.  Hope they find the time to delve into it and fix.