April 27, 2024, 08:09:01 PM

News:

Cam comparison

Started by kong, July 20, 2020, 09:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kong

OK have 05 Delux 95 in. kit with 203 cam.Vance and hines propipe,wild things throttle body,heads ported. I want to change cams to give more torque low. i like to hot rod zero to 80 mph. What cam would you suggest

aharp

Not sure how much more low end there could be than that combo assuming everything is set up optimally. Torque can only come on so early with that swept volume. What do the curves look like?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

rking1550

Might  what to look at a gearing change instead. Gear it a little lower and get the rpms up a little. Years back many went to the 3:37-1 primary gearing for that reason, more early torque.
While they're might be a cam or two that would help a little. probably very little, then require another tune. Gains not worth the investment. A gearing change won't require a new tune.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

rigidthumper

Quote from: kong on July 20, 2020, 09:14:38 PM
OK have 05 Delux 95 in. kit with 203 cam.Vance and hines propipe,wild things throttle body,heads ported. I want to change cams to give more torque low. i like to hot rod zero to 80 mph. What cam would you suggest
Where is the compression set? Got a dyno sheet? There's a few cams that are better than the 203 @ a specific RPM band, but not earth shattering.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

smoserx1

Like the others have said that 203 cam is pretty close to as low as you will  get.  I had one in my 99  FLHT and now I have an Andrews 21N.  I could not tell any difference in the acceleration with the 21N over the 203.  The reason I changed was I wanted a conversion cam and the 07 and later cam plate and hydraulic tensioners.  I also later added that 3.37 to 1 primary ratio.  It makes the engine run about 200 more RPM and that allows better acceleration.  The difference was my stock primary used a 25 tooth compensator sprocket and a 36 tooth clutch sprocket.  The 3.37 setup uses a 24 tooth compensator sprocket and a 37 tooth clutch sprocket.  I got the whole thing used from ebay for about $182.  You have to be patient, the 3.37 primaries were only used a few years on twin cam baggers with MM fuel injection, but if you are persistent you should find one.  Other than that you got about as much of a stump puller as you are going to get without shelling out some big $$$.  See what your current primary ratio is now, it may be different for a softail than a bagger.  I don't believe the primary chain from a bagger will work in your bike, but in my case both ratios used the same chain.

Hillside Motorcycle

If looking for more low end(as long as all it set correctly, currently) you'll be buying juice that isn't worth the squeeze.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

NHBagger

I like the idea of the gearing change with a set of CR575s as long as the heads will support.

Hillside Motorcycle

Increasing the mechanical leverage of the gearing is always a home run.
3.3 overall +/-, seems to be a good 'un.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

sfmichael

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 24, 2020, 03:43:09 AM
If looking for more low end(as long as all it set correctly, currently) you'll be buying juice that isn't worth the squeeze.

this  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.