March 28, 2024, 11:31:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

differences in head units

Started by hogmandon, October 01, 2019, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

I was talking with radio teck guy today and he said since I am running an amp with stock radio it didn't mater if I changed to an after market radio or not. I thought new stuff was much better than 06 stock head unit. sony , alpine, aquatic what ever. what are you all using. not interested in just load I would like some nice sound quality. I need to replace or repair.

Leed

I'm running an Alpine head unit and amp.  I changed the front speakers to Infinity Kappa's and like the sound.  Still have to find some 2ohm 5 1/4" speakers for the back.
What I don't like about the Alpine is the small buttons for changing stations.  Also the display is dim but the next time I have the faring off I'll try cutting the orange lead (dimmer for when headlights are on) and see if the display get brighter.

Hossamania

Quote from: hogmandon on October 01, 2019, 03:53:43 PM
I was talking with radio teck guy today and he said since I am running an amp with stock radio it didn't mater if I changed to an after market radio or not. I thought new stuff was much better than 06 stock head unit. sony , alpine, aquatic what ever. what are you all using. not interested in just load I would like some nice sound quality. I need to replace or repair.

What are you using for an input source?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

hogmandon

I am still using stock radio with Hog Tune 4x40 amp but only using front speakers from Crutchfield. May go back to 5x7 Hog Tune speakers

Hossamania

I was asking if you are just using the FM radio for music, or are you using your phone, satellite, or mp3 (iPod, etc.)? Over the air FM Radio sound quality is lousy, doesn't matter what kind of head unit, speakers, or amp you have.
A clean source with high quality recording sound is the best way to use your system (think CDs). Streaming on your phone is usually not very high quality, the signal is very compressed, a lot of quality of sound is lost. Also make sure your speakers match your amp for ohms, and that your amp and head unit are matched up and properly dialed in as well. Make sure the polarity of your speaker connections is correct also. This will severely affect quality.

hogmandon

I only use the radio for CDs FM is lousy. Speakers are 2 ohm and amp is supposed to be set up for the stock HD radio.

Hossamania

Double-check the polarity on the speakers, make sure that + and - are correct. Also, some amps require a bit of set up with the decks, not always a straight up plug and play.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on October 03, 2019, 09:26:09 AM
Double-check the polarity on the speakers, make sure that + and - are correct. Also, some amps require a bit of set up with the decks, not always a straight up plug and play.

The reason I've asked about the speakers, is that Harley does the opposite of the rest of the world, Harley uses the small plug for its positive connection, the rest of the world uses the large plug for the positive connection. It is easy to plug in aftermarket speakers improperly, the plugs need to be changed, as they do not fit properly as is.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on October 07, 2019, 06:48:57 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 03, 2019, 09:26:09 AM

The reason I've asked about the speakers, is that Harley does the opposite of the rest of the world, Harley uses the small plug for its positive connection, the rest of the world uses the large plug for the positive connection. It is easy to plug in aftermarket speakers improperly, the plugs need to be changed, as they do not fit properly as is.

Also, most aftermarket amps are 4 ohm, and do not work well with 2 ohm speakers. It overdrives the amp and can cause damage. You can, however, use four ohm speakers with a 2 ohm amp, it just cuts the volume down, requiring more power to achieve the same volume.

Hossamania