March 29, 2024, 05:22:48 AM

News:

Cam for genny Shovel???

Started by Reddog74usa, October 07, 2019, 05:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

The selection on cams for genny shovels are few these days however I have a few to choose from. Bike is a 68 FLH and is 88 inches with 9.5 cr. I have the heads set up for the 560S cam from S&S and have that cam but may not want to go with that a high lift. The other cams I have are the Andrews #3, an old original but in excellent condition Sifton 440 and an Andrews B. Riding style is 80 MPH on the slab but mostly riding the canyons with a trip over the mountains at around 12K feet. Just trying to nail down a good cam for the combo in the engine and my riding style. TIA, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

Reddog74usa

Thanks Ohio, guess I have to much goin on for a retired guy  :embarrassed:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

I don't know how I remember other peoples conversations, because I can't remember mine to save my life....    So don't feel bad.     :doh:

HogMike

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 07, 2019, 05:43:59 AM
The selection on cams for genny shovels are few these days however I have a few to choose from. Bike is a 68 FLH and is 88 inches with 9.5 cr. I have the heads set up for the 560S cam from S&S and have that cam but may not want to go with that a high lift. The other cams I have are the Andrews #3, an old original but in excellent condition Sifton 440 and an Andrews B. Riding style is 80 MPH on the slab but mostly riding the canyons with a trip over the mountains at around 12K feet. Just trying to nail down a good cam for the combo in the engine and my riding style. TIA, RD

I'm running a Sifton 440 in my 93" pan  for years with about the same compression you have and plan to leave it there! Solid lifters on this one But it runs great.
JME
HOGMIKE
SoCal

drifter

I'm not one of the experts with lots of experience you find on here, so take my reply with a few grains of salt.  I bought a Pan engine in a 1981 FX frame in 1998: 88" with S&S wheels, rods, cylinders, shorty E, 1949 heads and 1948 (?) cases.  Had a Sifton 112 cam, ran alright.  Heads were sent out for seats (I was on the road for months at a time and didn't know until I got back) and were screwed up.  STD Shovel ported heads were put on, then the left case cracked from the front to the timing hole, changed to S&S super stock cases and an Andrews 6 cam was put in along with Truett & Osbourne torque monster flywheels, compression is supposed to be 8.5 to 1.  The bike is kick start only.  All was done at Indy shops for $$$$, I am learning to do it myself now with the info I find on here, thanks.  Runs pretty good.  A friend with a hopped up EVO lost trying to drag race me.  The #6 comes on at 2500, the newer #7 starts at 2000 RPM. 

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

We use a lot of Andrews #2's here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Reddog74usa

October 10, 2019, 09:44:55 AM #8 Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:04:30 AM by Reddog74usa
Andrews states that the #2 is for low compression shovels so I don't know if I could run the #2 with 9.5 CR. I ran that cam in my 77 FXE at 8.5CR and really liked it. With the genny shovel I don't  have an adjustable electronic iggy I can tune to keep the pings away.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

I had a 76 FLH that ran great with an original Tom Sifton 440 cam in it and with this engine at 9.5 cr I went with the 440. May try the #3 if I don't like the 440  or end up having to do something to the bike because I'm board.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Reddog74usa

What cr are you running in that 67?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

RTMike

L3S works real good ,solid or hydraulic lifters

RTMike

L3S with 9.5:1 will be harder to turn over but well worth the effort,ive used them in lot of builds and they work very well.

Rosa's Cycle Shop

A great go to cam for that size motor is Andrew's A grind or the newer Andrew's A-2 more  cam than that would be over caming the engine the HP and TQ would come on to late and to high in the RPM range. With little or no low end
and mid range TQ after many years of running and Dyno testing shovels Don't over cam it !!

Reddog74usa

November 15, 2019, 07:39:13 PM #16 Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:44:45 PM by Reddog74usa
I had a 76 FLH that ran damn good back in the day and really liked the cam that was in it. I just happen to have one and if I don't at least give it a try it will always be in my head until I try it so this is the one I am starting out with.

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

Have a look at a Comp Cams SHV-4031. An easy starting torque monster that needs static compression to work.
You don't need big lift with the Shovel's oversized valves.
And Hydraulics are so much quieter.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Reddog74usa

Comp does not offer anything for Genny shovels. Lifters are Velvatouch so no worries there.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

Gaaaaa! It said early....     :nix:

Ohio HD

Early in Shovel language is early '77 down to '70. Late '77 they changed cam and pinion gear pitch.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 16, 2019, 09:58:27 AM
Early in Shovel language is early '77 down to '70. Late '77 they changed cam and pinion gear pitch.

The mill I pulled from my 76 had a supercharger type whine. Tried different pinion gears and changed the gear on the cam. Never could quiet that one down. Don't know what the real issue is.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

I've forgotten more than I can remember.

I thought it was EVO's that had different cam gears.

Is the pinion interchangeable? Or was there a change to the pinion shaft/gear?

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Burnout on November 17, 2019, 04:27:20 PM
I've forgotten more than I can remember.

I thought it was EVO's that had different cam gears.

Is the pinion interchangeable? Or was there a change to the pinion shaft/gear?

1970-early 77, then late 77-up.
The cam gear can be swapped, and advanced or retarded.
Dial indiacator, and the use of a degree wheel if doing that.

RTMike

You 76 shovel head could have a late 77 and up cam in it ,does the cam gear have a single notch machined in it and how about the pinion gear is it a full length gear or does it have a step in it ,I have seen mismatched gears and the whine is usually the results.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: RTMike on December 01, 2019, 03:37:31 PM
You 76 shovel head could have a late 77 and up cam in it ,does the cam gear have a single notch machined in it and how about the pinion gear is it a full length gear or does it have a step in it ,I have seen mismatched gears and the whine is usually the results.

That motor had sat on a milk crate out in the barn since 2004. It's been over twenty years since I had the pinion and cam out of it. Digging it out and opening it up is not in the cards right now.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway