March 19, 2024, 12:35:46 AM

News:

Alternator ?????

Started by Burnout, October 08, 2019, 03:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

Here's a stupid..

Can the 17 amp rotor be used with the 32 amp stator?

It fits and the chain lines up. I'm concerned about a possible difference in the magnets.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Burnout

I guess I'll have to call CE.   :scratch:

friday

shouldn't matter. the stator would have different turns and wire diameter for higher current.
there is no doubt different types of magnet materials , ceramics etc

search away on material but I doubt it would matter, just sales pitch I reakon

HarleyCharley

Check number of poles and number of magnets.

Burnout

The newer style rotor has the magnets glued in they are encased in plastic and in pairs?

76shuvlinoff

Don't know how I missed this but in 02 or so I changed the stator and regulator to new 32 amp CE stuff and reused the factory 76 17 amp rotor.  Not sure what that gives me for actual output but my battery life doubled.  My connection at the plug was in sad shape. the later two pin connection is much more secure.

I used an open winding stator not the encased one. I assumed it would run cooler but of course there is slightly higher risk of shorting it out.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

That is the reason I got rid of the 17A stator. The small pins don't hold up well, and it was leaking oil pretty bad.   :turd:

I called Cycle Electric and spoke to a guru, he claimed the output would be reduced significantly (because the 17A rotor has 12 magnets).

The 29957-81B has 6 magnets. I guess that the wider magnets do a push / pull across the 12 pole stator?   :scratch:

The 22A stator is wound the new way but still uses the same small connector pins as the 17A (the male and female pins are just reversed).

32A is the way to go.

Anyone want a 17A rotor? I have 4 for trading stock.   :bike:

Burnout

Follow up - I bought a cheap ass eBay aftermarket rotor for 32A It has 12 fairly strong magnets (and came with a shim kit).

No different than the old screwed together rotors I have in the junk pile.

I also have a recommended rotor to pick up tonight from my Drag Dealer and will follow up with that.

I'm beginning to think the CE guru did not want to admit he did not know the difference and why a new style rotor is recommended and was covering his ass.