March 28, 2024, 08:47:28 AM

News:

Donny Peterson Ironhead tech book

Started by sharkoilfield, October 09, 2019, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

October 09, 2019, 06:30:08 PM Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:51:41 PM by FSG
Any Ironhead owners read this? Anything informative?

[attach=0,msg1318491]

JW113

What exactly are you looking for? I have not found his books to be of much value. If you have a factory service manual and parts book for the year of your bike, that's about all you need. For performance tips and advice, HTT.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

I noticed a lot of his later books just rehash what is common knowledge.

The Ironhead section in the XLForum is a great source of info.
With the Sportsterpedia and posts from old timers.
And lots of "how to's".
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

Just looking for general history and potential foibles with my bike.  I'll be getting parts and service manuals as they become available on eBay (and within budget).  When I had my 100HP XL in 2001-2003 I was on an excellent Sportster board that has since disappeared... I'll give XLForum at try; looks like lots of discussion there. And, of course, I'll stay tuned here also. Just have to make room in the garage for the XLCH this winter and find some spare time (and money). Plan to keep the bike stock; just make it run as good as it can with what I've got. Paint tank, need new seat.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 25, 2019, 04:00:20 AM
Never even opened up one.

An Ironhead or one of Donny's books?   :smiled:

I think they are overpriced for the value they contain. But not a bad choice for a newb with disposable income.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

sharkoilfield

Got it, read a bunch, some opinion, lots of tech data.  Opening a book and reading is faster than using the web for me.  I'll be on here for unanswered questions, I'm sure. The bike's cleaned and in the heated garage; just need some time to fiddle with it now.  Even the wife wants me to start it up soon.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Burnout on October 25, 2019, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 25, 2019, 04:00:20 AM
Never even opened up one.

An Ironhead or one of Donny's books?   :smiled:

I think they are overpriced for the value they contain. But not a bad choice for a newb with disposable income.

In almost 32 years in business, and working on HD's since 1978, we have built more stock Iron XL's and Iron XL strokers than I can even begin to remember......3 strokers in the shop currently, with a stock build also.....welding/heli-coils, broken this/worn that, etc, etc, but no, have never opened one of those booklets.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"