April 25, 2024, 02:01:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 Bagger Build

Started by FSG, October 09, 2019, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

my youngest brother down in Melbourne is doing this build for a customer, a lot of gold plate, 33"front wheel and a good clutch

more info as it comes to hand

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

Scotty

Lots of gold - must be Italian  :hyst:

rigidthumper

Any idea how the gold plating on the bolts is going to hold up to being torqued? How do you prevent scratching/distortion?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Leed

That's pretty already!  Keep us posted.  I'd love to see it when it's finished.

Leed

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 10, 2019, 05:50:52 AM
Any idea how the gold plating on the bolts is going to hold up to being torqued? How do you prevent scratching/distortion?

That's a good question.  If I was trying it I might wrap some Teflon tape on the bolt heads but that's just a guess. :scratch:

IronButt70

Quote from: Leed on October 10, 2019, 06:27:03 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on October 10, 2019, 05:50:52 AM

That's a good question.  If I was trying it I might wrap some Teflon tape on the bolt heads but that's just a guess. :scratch:
There was a time that Snap-On made Teflon coated sockets. I did a quick look on their website but didn't find them. Maybe they were discontinued.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Garry in AZ

Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, or just old... but I can't stand the "big front wheel" trend. I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship in almost any build, but damn, I hate those stupid big front wheels.  :sick:
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

PoorUB

I remember seeing aluminum sockets for soft plating.

Some guys have too much money! The guy must have F-you money! :potstir: I can not imagine paying someone to do a build like that, then 3-4 years later what is it worth? 1/4th of what you have in it?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Looks good Gary, I bet it'll really stand out when completely assembled.

djl

I can visualize the completed project and it is going to be very nice; looking forward to the finished project. :wink:

roadkingdresser

Motorcycles are turning into a fashion show. A person just can't ride anymore it's  look at me or listen to me. Maybe i'm just getting old. Sorry!
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

The style isn't mine, but it's good to see custom work being done, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
There was a time when people asked how someone could cut and chop a nice pan and put some long ass forks on it with a giant sissy bar and a king and queen seat. Now it's a classic look that many here would love to have.
Maybe one day this style will have that same cache'.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

October 10, 2019, 04:49:38 PM #12 Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:09:39 PM by Deye76
Subscribed. Dig the red frame. Frame up, the epitome of a true custom build, IMO. Engine is beautiful. As far as people wondering what a bike is worth down the road, who gives a f#%k, it's about the passion and vision and creative flowing of the juices.. It isn't always about the money. In the nearly 50 years I've been riding, it's never been about 'the can I jump on the HD bandwagon and make a couple bucks while acting cool. Those putting it down have little appendages and serious inferiority complexes.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

I didn't mean to put it down, it will be a cool build. Plus no motorcycle holds value, but custom builds lose value faster than anything. I was just trying to point out it take a big commitment to build something like this with questionable value at the end. Not very many here can sink $40k-$50k into a toy that will lose value fast. I certainly know I can't.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mrmike

"Not very many here can sink $40k-$50k into a toy that will lose value fast. I certainly know I can't."

Isn't that the very description of every new car/ truck we buy?

Lol

Love the bike/engine colors and the gold looks to be a great compliment to it.👍👍

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

JW113

Hope he's planning on a white seat and handlebar grips to go with that red frame!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

88b

Quote from: Garry in AZ on October 10, 2019, 09:11:58 AM
Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, or just old... but I can't stand the "big front wheel" trend. I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship in almost any build, but damn, I hate those stupid big front wheels.  :sick:

I'm the same can't abide them

klammer76

Quote from: JW113 on October 11, 2019, 09:30:40 AM
Hope he's planning on a white seat and handlebar grips to go with that red frame!

-JW
That may or may not be an issue depending location.

klammer76

Like the look Gary. Waiting to see the finished project  :up:

jmorton10

I agree 100%.......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

IronButt70

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 14, 2019, 11:55:15 AM

I agree 100%.......

~John
:agree: Makes an otherwise really outstanding build butt fugly.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

FSG

some background on this bike

it was built somewhere in Texas as a show bike

a guy here in Melbourne Victoria decided he had $$ for toys, bought it and had it shipped to Oz

well the shipping didn't go to plan, the bike was put into a container with other shite

during shipping from the USA to his front door in Oz something else in the container moved and did considerable damage to the bike

Insurance paid out and so we see it being rebuilt

a caliper after rebuild,  a stock rotor is going to look out of place on the front wheel, never mind the looks of a 33"wheel

[attach=0,msg1320120]

capn

That rake and frame are a wobble waiting to happen.

Deye76

If that's powder coat, very nice work.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

biggzed

I wonder if that was originally built by Chris Eder of the old Misfit Baggers? When that company closed I heard a few of their bikes were sold at one of the big auctions. If that was built by Misfit you can bet it was done well. Chris and his crew were very well respected for their frame work. He now runs Epic Moto Co.

Zach

Quote from: FSG on October 22, 2019, 01:35:17 PM
some background on this bike

it was built somewhere in Texas as a show bike

a guy here in Melbourne Victoria decided he had $$ for toys, bought it and had it shipped to Oz

well the shipping didn't go to plan, the bike was put into a container with other shite

during shipping from the USA to his front door in Oz something else in the container moved and did considerable damage to the bike

Insurance paid out and so we see it being rebuilt

a caliper after rebuild,  a stock rotor is going to look out of place on the front wheel, never mind the looks of a 33"wheel

[attach=0,msg1320120]