May 02, 2024, 01:17:48 AM

News:

2 Inch LED Passing/Fog Lights

Started by PoorUB, June 28, 2017, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

June 28, 2017, 06:06:59 PM Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:09:45 PM by PoorUB
There was a thread a while back that was discussing 2" mini LED passing lights. I bought a set of spot lights from Ebay, about $17 made in and shipped from China. (How the heck can they build and ship for $17??) I took one apart and was impressed that it was well sealed and should hold up. I built two mounts out of 1/4" aluminum plate and painted them satin black. I bought a auxiliary power kit from HD to fit my 2016 Limited. This and a few feet of wire got the lighting switch up on the dash, next to the OEM passing light switch. That kit was $80! :cry: I got them all mounted, except I ordered four new bolts to replace the caliper mounting bolts that were a bit short with the addition of the 1/4" plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Driving-Fog-lamp-for-Car-Motorcycle-Boat-4X4-SUV-/263047097450?hash=item3d3ed42c6a:g:SfMAAOSw~gRVpNkG
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rockout Rocker Products

Those look great, how much do they help at night?

Finger on the buy button........
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

gonenorth

Good work with the mounting!  They really look good.  Looking forward to seeing how they work.

PoorUB

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on June 28, 2017, 06:29:03 PM
Those look great, how much do they help at night?

Finger on the buy button........

I have not had it out of the garage yet! When the longer caliper bolts show up I will give them a test drive. I hope to get more lighting down the road at night, bit also I believe more lighting up front to make me more visible to other drivers.

BJB

PoorUB / Greg, I like. Nice work.
Did you go through the local HD dealer for the longer caliper bolts or aftermarket? Part #?
I can see wiring a set of these in when I pull the outer fairing on the FLTRU to install some ChiCom Daymaker clones.

PoorUB

Quote from: BJB on June 28, 2017, 07:40:50 PM
PoorUB / Greg, I like. Nice work.
Did you go through the local HD dealer for the longer caliper bolts or aftermarket? Part #?
I can see wiring a set of these in when I pull the outer fairing on the FLTRU to install some ChiCom Daymaker clones.

Aftermarket. I shopped around and Fastenal had the longer bolt, grade 10.9, plated with a flanged head, for something like $2.50 each. I could have gotten them from McMaster Carr, but they would have taken longer, Fastenal was two days, should have them tomorrow. The local hardware store had them, but they were not plated, just black oxide.

A parts man at a HD parts department would just give me a confused look if I tried there! If it isn not in the parts book ost parts guys wouldn't have a clue what to do!

Just too add, I am going to replace the bolts that cam with the lights, the are metric, and soft cheapies. I don't think they will hold up with vibration mounted to the fork sliders.

moose

what was the length of the bolts you used or the fastenal part number
Moose aka Glenn-

Breeze

I rode with a guy a while back that had caliper mounted LED's.  When he was behind me a ways, I noticed and liked that the LED's pick up some road/tire vibration and twinkle just enough to catch your eye.  I also have these on my "watch" list waiting for your road test eval. See if you can get an opinion from someone in front of you about the twinkle (maybe his were not tight).
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

NHBagger

I bought something very similar to those from DK Custom.  Mine are mounted under the floorboards of my Tri Glide.  The first time I used them at night, I could not believe how much they lite up the road.  I don't even bother running the passing lights anymore.  I also run them in the day time, hoping that maybe they will catch the eye of those that just can't seem to see us.

PoorUB

Quote from: moose on June 29, 2017, 03:42:21 AM
what was the length of the bolts you used or the fastenal part number

No idea of the part number, but they were 10Mx40x1.5 They are about .200" longer than the OEM bolt.

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

koko3052

Please let us know how the wiring & wire joints hold up under front wheel vibration. :pop:

PoorUB

Quote from: koko3052 on June 29, 2017, 09:22:54 PM
Please let us know how the wiring & wire joints hold up under front wheel vibration. :pop:

I'm curious about that too! The lights had a pigtail and I used crimp connectors with heat shrink insulation, then put another layer of heat shrink tubing over the connections. The wires follow the brake lines,and I made sure the connections were not on the brake likes, just wire.

UltraManPaul

I was looking at the "L" bracket you're using to mount the light to the steel bracket and wondered if it was sturdy enough... I'm guessing the lights are a pretty light weight material? It would really suck to have that bracket give way and get the light stuck in the brake/rotor/wheel assembly.... Other than that, the whole thing really looks good and the lights seem pretty bright!

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

PoorUB

Quote from: UltraManPaul on June 30, 2017, 02:05:09 PM
I was looking at the "L" bracket you're using to mount the light to the steel bracket and wondered if it was sturdy enough... I'm guessing the lights are a pretty light weight material? It would really suck to have that bracket give way and get the light stuck in the brake/rotor/wheel assembly.... Other than that, the whole thing really looks good and the lights seem pretty bright!

UMP

Do you mean the black painted bracket? It is 1/4" thick aluminum. Probably could hang the motorcycle from it.

Or the little silver "U" brackets that came with the lights. I do have some concern about them.

I took a second look and the silver bracket looks like an "L" in the one pic, it is a "U" bracket. If you look at the Ebay link you can get a better look at them.

UltraManPaul

Quote from: PoorUB on June 30, 2017, 06:07:46 PM
Quote from: UltraManPaul on June 30, 2017, 02:05:09 PM

UMP

Do you mean the black painted bracket? It is 1/4" thick aluminum. Probably could hang the motorcycle from it.

Or the little silver "U" brackets that came with the lights. I do have some concern about them.

I took a second look and the silver bracket looks like an "L" in the one pic, it is a "U" bracket. If you look at the Ebay link you can get a better look at them.

Yeah, I was looking at the "U" bracket.

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

PoorUB

Just an update, I have not had a chance to try these lights out at night, but I did find out they produce a lot electrical noise. It doesn't affect the FM or XM radio or intercom, but when the lights are on it kills the CB radio. I have not tried the AM radio as I never use it.

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

PoorUB

I thought I would add an update on these lights. They have been on the Ultra for three years and still work fine. Like I mentioned earlier they screw up the CB radio reception, other than that I am satisfied. They add some more light for at night, but I like them so other drivers see me easier.

smoserx1

Norton Commando

November 26, 2019, 05:54:21 AM #20 Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:50:40 PM by Norton Commando
Quote from: PoorUB on November 25, 2019, 06:30:52 PM
I thought I would add an update on these lights. They have been on the Ultra for three years and still work fine. Like I mentioned earlier they screw up the CB radio reception, other than that I am satisfied. They add some more light for at night, but I like them so other drivers see me easier.

Thank you for the update.

I've had a pair of those mounted on my KLR 650 for some four years now and they are impressive at night. I think they're called Cree lights on eBay.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

koko3052

Are those U brackets keeping everything in line OK, and staying tight?

PoorUB

No issues, I haven't touched them since I put them on.

kd

Quote from: Norton Commando on November 26, 2019, 05:54:21 AM

I've had a pair of those mounted on my KLR 650 for some four years now and they make an impressive at night. I think they are called Cree lights on eBay.

Jason

Very nice paint patina on the front fender BTW.  Must be from the blistering speeds you run at on those prairie highways.  :teeth:
KD

Norton Commando

Quote from: kd on November 26, 2019, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: Norton Commando on November 26, 2019, 05:54:21 AM

I've had a pair of those mounted on my KLR 650 for some four years now and they are impressive at night. I think they're called Cree lights on eBay.

Jason

Very nice paint patina on the front fender BTW.  Must be from the blistering speeds you run at on those prairie highways.  :teeth:

Ha, ha, ha! How did you guess?

The KLR is my go-to bike for short errands around the house rain or shine, hence the muddy fender.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.