March 28, 2024, 04:33:19 PM

News:

Harley torx compensator bolt.

Started by 838, October 10, 2019, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you guys re-use these bolts? If so do you apply red lock tight? Iirc there is a different torque spec for these then what is in my 09 touring manual (also I have s&s crank)? Thanks to admin coyote for referring me to the sticky list for the shimming process, Great info.

kd

They are too cheap (and usually in stock) to even consider reusing them.  The manual says to replace them.
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on October 10, 2019, 06:56:54 PM
They are too cheap (and usually in stock) to even consider reusing them.  The manual says to replace them.

:up:   I keep those and some other fasteners on hand in the event I need to use them.

Norton Commando

Regarding the torque specification, the instructions that came with my revised compensator kit call for 175 ft-lbs. In contrast my workshop manual calls for 140 ft-lbs for the hex bolt. Since I used a new Torx bolt, I simply relied on the lock-tight patch that came on the bolt but some folks will clean off that pre-applied patch and apply their own lock-tight.

Jason 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 11, 2019, 03:30:34 AM
Quote from: kd on October 10, 2019, 06:56:54 PM

:up:   I keep those and some other fasteners on hand in the event I need to use them.

Agreed, keep a couple new ones in your bolt box, and occasionally pick up some every now and then from the dealership when you visit.  Note that while some folks brush off the locking patch, I just use them as is.  Also, I always clean out the sprocket shaft threads to remove any old locking material and any oil that might have migrated in there.  Finally, I go exactly by the service manual method during installation.  Doing all of this consistently makes removing the bolt a not too tight and not too loose situation.

Thermodyne

I reuse them.  Clean the threads on both parts , then use red Loctite.

A also heat them before I take them loose.  Lock patch or Loctite, I heat them all.  Takes a little of the chore out of turning them out by hand.   

Norton Commando

Quote from: Thermodyne on October 11, 2019, 05:49:40 PM

If that is a torque-to-yield bolt it should not be reused.

Jason

Thermodyne

It is not a torque to yield.  Where did you come up with that.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Thermodyne on October 12, 2019, 08:25:30 AM

Perhaps you are correct in that it isn't a torque-to-yield bolt. But the 25% increase in the Torx bolt stress compared to the old hex bolt is not trivial. So if the bolt is not at yield at the increased stress level it may be close.

Jason

rbabos

Seems to me it's pretty much there based on the torque. xxx amount of stretch but not quite the yield part. They should be a one time use bolt, however although many will reuse it.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Norton Commando on October 12, 2019, 10:50:23 AM

Perhaps you are correct in that it isn't a torque-to-yield bolt. But the 25% increase in the Torx bolt stress compared to the old hex bolt is not trivial. So if the bolt is not at yield at the increased stress level it may be close.

Jason
I believe it's one grade up from the older hex bolts. Grade 9, I think, not grade 8. More of a reason to not reuse it, if that's the case.
Ron

Rockout Rocker Products

That bolt is the one thing I can think of off hand that's not ridiculously priced. Shocked me the first time I bought one, not worth not replacing to me.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FSG

been around since 2014

10500031    SCREW,  COMPENSATOR    MRRP was 4.04 and is now up to 4.15 depending where you shop

PoorUB

I have reused the bolt, but only because the local dealer didn't even stock them! :wtf: I popped in to get a few parts and asked for the bolt and said they would have to order them, they did not keep them on hand. Now this was about a year or so after HD had release the new comp with the oil deflector. I couldn't believe they did not have them. Out of curiosity I asked the service manager what they do, and they said the reuse them. :nix:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 12, 2019, 02:25:26 PM
That bolt is the one thing I can think of off hand that's not ridiculously priced. Shocked me the first time I bought one, not worth not replacing to me.

Bought a new one today. I remember the torque procedures had something like torque to ? then back off 1/2 turn final torque to ?.

Norton Commando

Quote from: 838 on October 12, 2019, 08:12:07 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 12, 2019, 02:25:26 PM

Bought a new one today. I remember the torque procedures had something like torque to ? then back off 1/2 turn final torque to ?.

After backing off 180* tighten to 175 ft-lbs.

Jason

jamminhd2000

Tighten to 100 ft lbs....back off 1/2 turn....torque to 175 ft lbs....stated in installation instructions....use new bolt....jimmy

Got it thanks. Ive also learned  Harley has a lot of their "service info" and instructions online. This I struction set was there too.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217573?locale=en_US

Ohio HD

October 13, 2019, 11:01:59 AM #18 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:18:50 AM by Ohio HD
More people should actually read the contents of this site. There is a great amount of information here, and many (mostly FSG) took a lot of their personal time to put it out here for others.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=31.0

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=21.0

By the way, if you're not a registered member, don't worry, the links won't take you anywhere.

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 13, 2019, 11:01:59 AM
More people should actually read the contents of this site. There is a great amount of information here, and many (mostly FSG) took a lot of their personal time to put it out here for others.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=31.0

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=21.0

By the way, if you're not a registered member, don't worry, the links won't take you anywhere.

Amazing. Thank you for posting those.

Ancient

I asked for a new one a couple years ago and the parts guy asked me if I broke or stripped the original. I said no. Then he asked why I wanted a new one.

:emsad:
Greg

jmorton10

My dealer stocks both the earlier hex head & the newer  torx.

I bought two of the torx just to have for spares recently   It was less than $10

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

black

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 15, 2019, 03:04:00 PM

I bought two of the torx just to have for spares recently   It was less than $10

~John
Is your dealer Utica HD
send  lawyers guns and money

88b

Quote from: Thermodyne on October 11, 2019, 05:49:40 PM

A also heat them before I take them loose.  Lock patch or Loctite, I heat them all.  Takes a little of the chore out of turning them out by hand.   

I've reused them many times, not had a problem ( yet ) .

les

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 15, 2019, 03:04:00 PM

~John

Two for ten?  That pretty much equals zero dollars.