March 29, 2024, 06:40:01 AM

News:

How about a Woods tw8 in 124 build?

Started by guesscrazy, October 10, 2019, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

Getting ready for a 124 in the winter. What do you think of this cam? Are roller rocker needed? What compression is best for a long distance bagger?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Hillside Motorcycle

Good cam, 9F is better in that application, or a least here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Nastytls

I used that cam in a 107" Dyna at 11-1.  It's a good broad power cam but makes a massive amount of noise. I tried all different preloads on the lifters with zero success in quieting them down. I would never even consider it on a long distance touring build, the hammering sound would drive me nuts after hours in the saddle.

rigidthumper

That cam works very well from 10.8-11:1.
Would not be my first choice in a long distance touring build, for the compression needed ( because of the fuel concerns) and the sound.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rsw

I must be the exception I run the 8 in my 110 and it's whisper quiet. Also makes great power and torque

speedzter

I ran them for a while in a Dyna, custom 120 @ 10.6:1 .
No complaints at all ( apart from some noise !)

They pulled hard from down low, and really never stopped.

If you look in the Dyno section, there is a 124 running TR590's, similar style of Cam.

rhuff

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 10, 2019, 09:44:00 PM
Getting ready for a 124 in the winter. What do you think of this cam? Are roller rocker needed? What compression is best for a long distance bagger?

I wouldn't have a CCP (far more important than static comp) over 200 unless you have a really great dyno guy.  Just asking for trouble in *most* instances if you want reliability for riding all over the country. 

Hillside Motorcycle

Another proven choice is a T-Man 662-2.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TorQuePimp

Rest of the details on the build?
Not all 124" combos are going to want the same cam

guesscrazy

Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 14, 2019, 01:39:03 PM

Rest of the details on the build?
Not all 124" combos are going to want the same cam
110 heads worked and 58 Hpi throttle body. V&H Powerduals.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

guesscrazy

Talked to a shop today that recommends a S&S 585 @ 10.5 compression. Said it is a tried and true bagger build that they have been doing for years. He said he would recommend the 103 wetheads and they can make them flow well. He said the 110 CVO heads were unnecessary and the factory oil pump would be good to go. He was good with 58mm HPI throttle body. What are your opinions?

TorQuePimp

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 15, 2019, 07:30:11 PM
Talked to a shop today that recommends a S&S 585 @ 10.5 compression. Said it is a tried and true bagger build that they have been doing for years. He said he would recommend the 103 wetheads and they can make them flow well. He said the 110 CVO heads were unnecessary and the factory oil pump would be good to go. He was good with 58mm HPI throttle body. What are your opinions?

103 wetheads for a 124.....no
Do you have 110 heads?
Far better cams than the 585 for what you are doing

jjdalynh

Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 15, 2019, 09:05:49 PM

Do you have 110 heads?

i agree.  seems that 585s are recommended because they are a known quantity? 

i have 8s in my 107" and they *are* noisy AF.  maybe it's time for me to tear down the rockers and see if i've got too much endplay in the shafts.  i recall making the measurements when i built it, but didn't feel the need to shim them.  perhaps that was a mistake.....

Hillside Motorcycle

Start by loading a S&S lifter to .140".
No pony in the race, just what we see works.

rigidthumper

103 wetheads on a 124 with flat top pistons & a .030" head gasket? You will be approaching 12:1.
103 wetheads on a 124 with 10cc dished pistons & a .030" head gasket? You will be closer to 11:1.
Is that where you want to be?
Those can be fine builds, given the right cam and riding style, but neither sound like a typical cross country bagger to me .
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

guesscrazy

October 16, 2019, 06:31:24 AM #17 Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:04:11 AM by rigidthumper
Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 15, 2019, 09:05:49 PM
Do you have 110 heads?
He was recommending S&S heads and then I reminded him the 14 limited is a wethead. I am willing to pick up some 110 heads and having them prepped.  Not looking to cut corners. Looking for modest power and reliable nonpinger with 91 octane. I go out west 2 times a year for 6000 mile trips and gas can be poor.

guesscrazy

2014 Ultra Limited with 35000 miles. I use it touring 1 up about 15000 miles a year. I travel in the west where high octane gas is limited. I talked to a shop last week who said they have done dozens of 117 and 124s. They handle all machine work in house and flowbench their heads. Owner recommends S&S 585 cams with 10.5 compression. He said I dont need to upgrade the oil pump and he could use the factory 103 wetheads. I am understanding that stock wetheads would push compression above 10.5 with even dished pistons. I called another shop that was recommended on HTT and they haven't called me back yet. Any other cam combos that would work on this and not be a ping monster? Just not wanting to leave anything on the table. I am willing to buy some new 110 heads and have them worked. What about the keep the stock oil pump recommendation?

turboprop

I bet the owner of that shop is really going to enjoy you offering him suggestions from an internet forum. Shop owners and engine builders really enjoy that.

Have you considered looking into the dyno section at 117 and 124 results? The dyno sheets will all have basic info like cams, exhaust and chassis.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

guesscrazy

Quote from: turboprop on October 20, 2019, 09:48:56 AM
I bet the owner of that shop is really going to enjoy you offering him suggestions from an internet forum. Shop owners and engine builders really enjoy that.

Have you considered looking into the dyno section at 117 and 124 results? The dyno sheets will all have basic info like cams, exhaust and chassis.
I haven't offered the shop owner anything but my ears. I just want to make sure I am getting the right combo.

Ohio HD

I'll offer what I did before. If it's being built by someone else, let them give you some details of what they suggest after you tell the what's important to you. And since you're in Tennessee, I'd get in contact with Brandon Johnson at J&B Performance Cycles. They can build it for you, tune it for you, and they use some of the most respected names in the industry for head work, crank work, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/jandbperformance/

guesscrazy

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 20, 2019, 11:05:16 AM
I'll offer what I did before. If it's being built by someone else, let them give you some details of what they suggest after you tell the what's important to you. And since you're in Tennessee, I'd get in contact with Brandon Johnson at J&B Performance Cycles. They can build it for you, tune it for you, and they use some of the most respected names in the industry for head work, crank work, etc.

I left them a message last week but Monday I will call them 1st thing.

harpwrench

Will the S&s 117/124 cylinders work with wet heads? They're descriptions say not compatible, I'd like to know myself.

1workinman

There is some thing to be said about copying a great build lol  look in the dyno section/  for some good examples . I would build a 124 that just me .  I prefer the motor to be built the way I want it .  I been down this road . You do as you please but I talk to a good shop that you know does good work don't just take there brother in laws advice here .  If you know what you want . I want a motor that will make at least 140 hp and early torque and be able to not give problems. 

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 20, 2019, 11:05:16 AM

X2 history of solid builds and tunes.....cannot go wrong there👍

prodrag1320

go 124,between going 117 & 124,its a no brainer

guesscrazy

2014 Limited. On my 124 should I go gear drive cams or chain? I am inclined to do gear drive . What is the general consensus.

FXDBI

How deep are your pockets? What's the budget ?  HP goals?  Gear drive needs a bullet proof straight bottom end.  Also going to depend on the cams being available in gear drive.
Bob

TorQuePimp

guesscrazy

Quote from: FXDBI on October 21, 2019, 05:45:41 PM
How deep are your pockets? What's the budget ?  HP goals?  Gear drive needs a bullet proof straight bottom end.  Also going to depend on the cams being available in gear drive.
Bob
130 square. If gears a better then I will pay the difference. Plan on keeping this bike a long time. Are gears that much better than the current tensioner setup?

kd

The late hydro tensioner are more forgiving and seem to be much better than the early version springs.  The gear drive delivers more accuracy if you are squeezing every ounce out but not really needed for a street bike. They will be a liability without proper crank prep and welding if you ride hard. Especially if you're a burnout type and hard shifter.
KD

Ohio HD

I can endorse this as a strong reliable 124". I average 36 to 37 mpg when just riding back roads. More if you cruise steady. Less when you run hard. Motor is smooth, really smooth power right off idle. Torque pulls you through the gears fast. Smooth running motor, S&S 625 cams have a great sound at idle is a bonus.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100336.0

jls 64

Quote from: kd on October 21, 2019, 06:59:32 PM
The late hydro tensioner are more forgiving and seem to be much better than the early version springs.  The gear drive delivers more accuracy if you are squeezing every ounce out but not really needed for a street bike. They will be a liability without proper crank prep and welding if you ride hard. Especially if you're a burnout type and hard shifter.

:agree:
js

Tireman

OP, As you stated in your other thread your setting this build up for touring. This was my goal as well when I did my 124 a few years ago. I could have gotten away with chain drive but chose to have more accurate valve timing and optimize the performance that the gear drive give for the extra $$. I figured I was in it this far why not! I added S&S premium lifter with limiter and I'd say it is the smoothest quietest motor I've heard. You won't regret going gear drive but chain drive would obviously do the job. Good luck with the build!
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

prodrag1320

go gear drive,with a S&S crank (which im sure your using) theres no worry about crank run out

Hillside Motorcycle

guesscrazy

Talked to a builder yesterday and he likes these 2 cams for 124 touring build. What do yall think of these cams?
585S&S or 999 woods? Pretty excited I am finally able to afford a 124 and some other upgrades for the scooter. Kids out of school, house is paid off and no more car payments.

SB107

October 22, 2019, 07:07:14 AM #39 Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:15:05 AM by SB107
Quote from: guesscrazy on October 22, 2019, 05:28:03 AM
Talked to a builder yesterday and he likes these 2 cams for 124 touring build. What do yall think of these cams?
585S&S or 999 woods? Pretty excited I am finally able to afford a 124 and some other upgrades for the scooter. Kids out of school, house is paid off and no more car payments.

999 is a good cam but it makes a bit of racket in my 107" but i dont mind it.

Has decent low end and still pulls good out the back, Mine is set up at 11.3:1 ccp about 210.

I would recommend going with what your head porter thinks is best.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

CarlosGGodfrog

Go with S&S 570. More low end, and unless you cruise at above 4500 - 5000 rpm you will love the flexibility.
I have them in my 117 TC

Quote from: SB107 on October 22, 2019, 07:07:14 AM

Has decent low end and still pulls good out the

Has decent low end and still pulls good out the back,

Has decent low end and still pulls good out the back, Mine is set up at 11.3:1 ccp about 210.

I would recommend going with what your head porter thinks is best.

👍

nosjunkie

124 with 640ez starts... I have this combo in my Glide and I ride it pretty hard and have put many miles on it...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Don D

At 124" you will need a -18cc piston. Lots of luck finding that, or the heads need to be opened up considerably.
I would do the 124" with water 110 CVO heads myself and a tman 590 cam. J&B would probably be on a similar page. They have dynoed builds that used my heads. The results are on here and on the CVO forum.

1workinman

Quote from: nosjunkie on October 22, 2019, 04:44:48 PM
124 with 640ez starts... I have this combo in my Glide and I ride it pretty hard and have put many miles on it...
That's what I use in my Road Glide with 145 inch an a 640 in my 124 with compression releases .  The 640 runs pretty decent with compression 

guesscrazy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 22, 2019, 04:57:59 PM
At 124" you will need a -18cc piston. Lots of luck finding that, or the heads need to be opened up considerably.
I would do the 124" with water 110 CVO heads myself and a tman 590 cam. J&B would probably be on a similar page. They have dynoed builds that used my heads. The results are on here and on the CVO forum.
I went to a shop today and he said they would open up the chambers, no problem.I pointed out that the 103 wethead chambers are much smaller. Makes me go hum? Lots of different opinions.

nosjunkie

LIVE FREE OR DIE..

prodrag1320

Quote from: nosjunkie on October 22, 2019, 05:49:29 PM
I run the 110 heads on my 124"

we use 110 heads on pretty much every 124" built here

guesscrazy

I wonder why both shops I talked to say stock 103 wetheads are no problem? Neither shop has done a 124 wethead. Both are well know and have done many 117 and 124 heads.

Don D

No problem doesn't necessarily mean best choice.
I could get either to work. Depends on the goal and budget which is a better choice and s 585 would not be my go to cam. But these are choices for others,  the shop you trust.

guesscrazy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 22, 2019, 04:57:59 PM
Don , please tell me why you like the tman590 over the S&S585.

kd

I can't speak for Don but I do agree with him. The Tman 590 and it's big brother the 660sm are performers when set up right.   They are quiet, have good manners, start out early (2500 ish) with arm stretching flat torque and won't stop pulling harder until the limiter (6200).  Compare some examples between the 2 (or 3) cams in the dyno section and you'll get the idea.
KD

guesscrazy

Woods 777 in a 124 touring build. I know very little about cams in general and nothing of this 777.

Ohio HD

guesscrazy

Ohio HD

October 24, 2019, 03:20:14 AM #55 Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:14:36 AM by Ohio HD
First thing you need to do is go to all of the cam manufacturers web sites and see what cams can be purchased as gear drive. That narrows things down. Then you can take many cams that will get suggested right off the table since they aren't available in gear drive.

Easily obtainable cams in gear drive, S&S 585, S&S 625, CR 630i. Yes there are others, but I'm not running down the list from each web site. I run S&S 625 cams. They're quiet, they sound good at idle, they have great low speed manors, and they make a good wide torque band with the proper exhaust.

This is why I say speak to who will build / tune the bike. The best cam and a worst exhaust will kill the way it runs.

Hillside Motorcycle

We use either T-Man 662-2's or Wood 9F's in our Sport-Touring 117"-124"s.
4 currently being built, as the 5th was completed Monday.
With a 58mm, and Rhinehart duals....140/144, with very quick torque delivery.
66mm Hog and a Borezilla would have shown more.....worked with what he had.

Don D

There is no best cam or exhaust out of the context of the heads.
My heads generally speaking do not need any added exhaust duration and if opened too soon this kills torque but will help horsepower if everything else cooperates, the combination.
Heads I refer to are OEM castings or cvo 110.

I was going to use a tman 590 in my 117". Instead I was able to trade  a new cr575 for a CR595i. It's posted in the dyno section.

Im curious how the cr595i cam would do at 124", though I now have a tman 590ps2 that will be going in a 124" at some point. saving $ and compiling parts :)

The specs on the 590 are different now... haven't seen a dyno with the latest version. Don posted a 124" with the old 590 in the dyno section that looks pretty darn great.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 24, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
First thing you need to do is go to all of the cam manufacturers web sites and see what cams can be purchased as gear drive. That narrows things down. Then you can take many cams that will get suggested right off the table since they aren't available in gear drive.

Easily obtainable cams in gear drive, S&S 585, S&S 625, CR 630i. Yes there are others, but I'm not running down the list from each web site. I run S&S 625 cams. They're quiet, they sound good at idle, they have great low speed manors, and they make a good wide torque band with the proper exhaust.

This is why I say speak to who will build / tune the bike. The best cam and a worst exhaust will kill the way it runs.
I have VH Powerduals with Rineharts and both shops think they are fine for a 124.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 24, 2019, 04:11:56 AM
May call another shop and be willing to drive further. Both shops I have visited and called don't recommend the wood 9f.
They say too much lift and compression for a long distance touring bike going to areas of lesser quality fuel.Both want to use a hpi55-58 tbody. These 2 shops are both 3 hours from my house.

Don D

Still the cam will be a choice out of the context of the whole build.
Getting the compression down would be my first goal with the 82cc heads if you go up to 124" or get rid of them and use 110 wet heads. There are some that are even converting the wet bikes to air cooled. Let the porter decide on the cam and help with getting the compression lined up.

nosjunkie

October 25, 2019, 06:33:40 AM #62 Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:17:00 AM by rigidthumper
Quote from: guesscrazy on October 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM
May call another shop and be willing to drive further. Both shops I have visited and called don't recommend the wood 9f.
They say too much lift and compression for a long distance touring bike going to areas of lesser quality fuel.Both want to use a hpi55-58 tbody. These 2 shops are both 3 hours from my house.

I think shops try to steer guys away from high comp motors in touring bikes is more to riding style than the weight.. When you on a long ride you dont downshift as often... You just roll more throttle to it. Lugging it... DEATH for a big motor.. I have many hard miles (I ride it hard.. not that it was abused.. its well maintained.. but gets regular floggings).. I live in California.. which has "Potty mouth" fuel.. ALL the time.... I have 2 124" motors.. one with a Mik 48 and the other with a HPI 62mm efi.

As others have mentioned.. Spend some time in the DYNO thread.. Read all the combos which are 124".. you will see a trend of what been tried and proven..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Barrett

There's a few 124"s in the dyno section with HPI 55/58's. I don't think they're being held back any and from what the owners say the throttle response is great.

RTMike

I'm in the same boat with a 15 CVO 110 limited Twin Cooled.Thinking of a moderate cam and compression 10-10.4 with head work and a good exhaust. :potstir:

itsafatboy

I would use the TW8 over the 585 , but it can be noisy, the 590 is pretty much the Tw8G just a smoother exhaust ramp so not so noisy, if you don't want to do the .650 lift Tw9F for long drive bike , I would look at the TW9BG great cam , so I have ran all those in my 116" at 11.2 comp, 

the TW9F with a +4 key was a beast ,
the Tw8g was great cam 132hp 140tq , just seemed very touchy in bigger motor,
the TW9BG - I run at a +2 but love the cam and it is quitter than the tw8G, (the noise is just how the valve hits with woods quick ramp closing sped)

just my opinion, I did love the tw8 low overlap , just a great cam     

Ohio HD

Quote from: nosjunkie on October 25, 2019, 06:33:40 AM
Quote from: guesscrazy on October 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM

I think shops try to steer guys away from high comp motors in touring bikes is more to riding style than the weight.. When you on a long ride you dont downshift as often... You just roll more throttle to it. Lugging it... DEATH for a big motor.. I have many hard miles (I ride it hard.. not that it was abused.. its well maintained.. but gets regular floggings).. I live in California.. which has "Potty mouth" fuel.. ALL the time.... I have 2 124" motors.. one with a Mik 48 and the other with a HPI 62mm efi.

As others have mentioned.. Spend some time in the DYNO thread.. Read all the combos which are 124".. you will see a trend of what been tried and proven..

Exactly.   :up:      And you can have detonation all the while and never hear it.

As well the guy tuning it needs to know how it will be ridden. Are you trying to make a big dyno sheet, or is this bike going to actually be ridden in at times the worst possible of conditions. So picking a tuner and builder is as important, or even more important than the cams used.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 11, 2019, 04:23:36 AM
Scott, what ccp do your 124  builds with 9F cams run? I have been in areas where 87 and 91 octane are all that is available.

No Cents

to the OP (this is my take, and only my take on building a 124 for everyday riding)...get yourself a set of 110 heads and have your cases bored to go 124. Get a 4 5/8" stroke S&S crank or a Darkhorse crank and do a Timkens conversion so you have a solid foundation to work with. Put a set of gear drive CR630i cams in it. I've played the cam game in the past and I finally found a set of cams that I am totally satisfied with. The CR630i's deliver. Have the compression set close to 11.00:1, and with a "proper tune" you will have an engine that will pull hard from every rpm...not be noisy, and you can ride it all day long without it batting an eye. A HPI 58mm t/body will work just fine in a build like I'm describing. You need to tell your head porter what cams and pipe your going to run. I used wfolarry for the porting on my 110 heads...and his work just flat out delivers the goods.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Barrett on October 25, 2019, 07:10:09 AM
There's a few 124"s in the dyno section with HPI 55/58's. I don't think they're being held back any and from what the owners say the throttle response is great.

66mm/58mm back/back testing shows different here.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 27, 2019, 06:46:42 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 11, 2019, 04:23:36 AM
Scott, what ccp do your 124  builds with 9F cams run? I have been in areas where 87 and 91 octane are all that is available.

195 ccp.
BTW, HD service manual wants 91 octane in a bone-stock bike.

Barrett

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 30, 2019, 03:26:29 AM

There's a couple of Mega Flo builds in the dyno section that look pretty dang good for being held back then.

Nastytls

Quote from: Barrett on October 30, 2019, 05:18:13 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 30, 2019, 03:26:29 AM

There's a couple of Mega Flo builds in the dyno section that look pretty dang good for being held back then.

You said 55/58 and he came back with 66/58. Apples and oranges.

Barrett

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

planemech

Ive wondered this myself but didn't have a 58 or 62 laying around to try and it runs so good like it is I kinda hate to mess with it. Maybe one day if I happen across a used one and a little time Ill get with J&B just to see what happens. I don't typically ride in the range where it would make a difference anyway and down low this thing is flat out awesome! The more I ride it the more I like it.

Quote from: Barrett on October 30, 2019, 12:33:40 PM
harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,108626.msg1293538.html#msg1293538
This is one with a HPI 55/58. I wonder how much gain there would be with a larger TB.

FXDBI

My suggestion to the OP seeing has HE isn't doing the build himself find a builder that he can trust with a proven recipe. Let him do his magic, don't walk into a shop with a box of parts and a recipe that you developed your self from internet research. YOU cant do the work yourself so don't go into a shop spewing out all the BS u learnt from the internet telling the guy how to do his job! Nothing gets under a mechanics skin faster or deeper than someone who cant do telling them how to!  Build something you will use not a DYNO SHEET. I cant stress enough the importance of using a proven recipe of parts WITH a proper tune by a competent tuner.  Bigger TB and Higher Lift cam is not always the answer for a daily rider.   Bob