May 04, 2024, 07:23:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rushmore RGU windshield fit

Started by thumpr54, October 19, 2019, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumpr54

I did some searching here, for maybe an hour, but couldn't find anything on this issue.....looked thru my earlier posts and don't see where I ever brought it up here on HTT........ 16 RGU...where the windshield fits along the bottom to the fairing....has a gap...maybe 1/4" from the bottom edge of the shield to the stub? on the weatherstrip. It was the most annoying thing(to me) when I first bought it new...fit just didn't look good.....occasionally get a bug in between. Replaced the factory shield with a Klock flare but fit the same. I talked to the dealer...stopped at Klock....looked at some others..."just the way they fit". Kinda got over it....it was under warranty and I didn't wanna screw with it while it was covered. Enjoyed riding it too much(45K now in a little over 3 years) to make a big deal out of it. Now that it's out of warranty....decided to take it apart myself for the first time to run my SXM antenna wire internally and fix the side vent mechanism(that's another story....;-).....worked on 2x at the dealer and still ain't right)     Anyways....I'm looking at doing something with the gap at the bottom of the windshield to clean it up and wondering if anyone else has done anything on this....before I decide exactly how I'm gonna proceed......
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Helmwurst

Does it whistle in high wind or above 70 mph? I hold mine down tight in the center and then start tightening the screws from the center out while still holding down the center. I also added a Klock trim strip, sets it off nicely.

thumpr54

October 19, 2019, 06:34:01 PM #2 Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:56:24 PM by thumpr54
My ears ring all the time and my hearing has been suspect for a long time...actually had some loss when I went thru AF induction.......but never noticed any whistling...   but I did try to adjust the fit with no luck......how was the fit on yours at the bottom if the ws ?

Helmwurst

A little tighter than yours in the photo, but I could flatten out by pushing down and working the fasteners from the middle out, alternating from side to side. I too have some hearing loss and ringing in 1 ear, I now wear soft ear plugs when riding and running power equipment. It's more due to long term exposure to constant noise. Wind is the number 1 reason for hearing loss for motorcycle riders. There was an article in HOG magazine about a year ago on that subject.

thumpr54

Yup...saw that article.....I'm pretty sure my hearing loss started as a child...an incident involving a 55 gal burning barrel with hot coals in the bottom....and short fused firecrackers.... :crook:   I was hoping maybe the Moco had updated the weatherstrip along the bottom there.....  I'll figure something out...Thanx

koko3052

Can you remove the WS & trim/sand it to fit without buggering up how the screws hold it? :scratch:

thumpr54

I just got it off....don't have the fairing off yet and have a couple other things to take care of before I put it back together....takin' my time.....got somethin else to ride so....just looking for ideas.....seems I screwed with it quite a bit when I put it on there but it's been a while......last couple times it's been off was at the dealer to fix the vents....after I could't get it to fit the way I wanted I kinda ignored it and rode as much as I could....the factory ws when it was new was at least as bad or worse fitting...
have you had any trouble with your vents ?....guess that's been a fairly common problem on them....my center/top vent always been OK but the sides won't stay fixed for long it seems.....my nephew's had problems with the center vent only. I wondered if it might be because I leave em open most of the time/they don't get worked enuf...kinda weird...shouldn't matter.....the catch is a little $5 plastic mechanism...laughed when I saw what it was......used similar in TV control doors for years...push open/push close