March 28, 2024, 06:03:31 AM

News:

2019 FLHR Road King Vibration

Started by HDRK2019, October 13, 2019, 01:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDRK2019

2019 Road King FLHR 300 miles. At 1800-2200 rpms when slowing down in any gear, when the RPM's hit between that range the engine/bike will vibrate horribly. For those who think its lugging let me add: Any gear wind to 3 grand back off and let engine coast down, vibration kicks in at 2200 soon as you get below 1800 vibration is completly gone. Bike has been doing this since I drove it off the showroom, no better or worse... So Harley takes my bike in, loosened and retorqued motor mounts, still there. Anyone else? Love the bike other than that. Under accel, smooth as glass, crusing speeds above 2200 feels great. It would be one thing if this happens at 3500 or above I wouldnt sweat it, I've built many drag cars and understand to a point. But you are always at that RPM often when slowing down.

Geezer_Glider

Will it do it in neutral? Coasting down with clutch in? Belt? primary chain? tires? Cold or hot? Slip assist clutch acting up? Comp? Just trying to isolate real source. My 2017 Ultra is smooth down to idle in gear, though I don't do that as standard riding, usually have the clutch in or down shift by 1.8K.
R Meyer

HDRK2019

Hey Geezer, you don't have to be moving. Neutral clutch out or in doesnt matter, in gear with clutch in doesnt matter. I understand your questions, going through the RPM range is all it takes.

Bimmer

Balance Gear Out Of Time, OR Flywheels Are Scissored, Tell Your Dealer This is Unacceptable An You Want It Fixed.That's If You Still Have Your Warranty, or its on Your Dime. We Had 2 Bikes Same issue we Fixed.   {POWER TRAIN ISSUE}  Good Luck....

Helmwurst

My 17 RG Special does it too, dealer did the same crap, only difference, my only vibrates a little, not too bad. Warranty gone, so SOOL on getting them to do anything more. Crank only had .002 runout when new cam, plate and pump installed. Balancer? I don't even know where to start on checking/fixing that. I only assume you have to split the case, if so, then I will go ahead and have the crank blueprinted and go from there.

Geezer_Glider

OK, but forget the clutch hub is always spinning, too. I assume you checked primary chain tension and comp. So it is engine or primary. Does it shake at idle like a twin cam bagger?
R Meyer

bikeman

i was test driving 2019 ultra limited 114 at STURGIS this year. Everytime I deceled the bike in any gear ,the bike had a pretty bad vibration at 2,200 rpm to 1,800. I was thinking of upgrading to the a harley but after riding that one I decided to stay with my ultra 103.

r0de_runr

I think we should name this the "M8 Shudder" and add it to the list of M8 issues (Sumping and Transfer).
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Helmwurst

Yep, my 17 RG Special does the same thing. Got the same run around from the dealer, twice !! Had .002 run out on my crank also when installing cam chest upgrade. Test road a couple other bikes from same dealer to compare, same crap vibration. Not going to worry about it until it breaks or I decide to tear it all the way down. Cam upgrade and tune changed performance so much , I just grin every time I give it a hard twist, made me forget about the idle down vibration.

Jmd897

Had similar issue on my 17 Road Glide Ultra.  Primary bearing was shot.  Replaced the bearing and inner race and checked the tensioner.  Added an extra medium spring to the compensator. No more hard vibrations at Idle and no noise.  The way I diagnosed it was removing the outer primary and check if the primary chain is too loose or tight.  Should have between 5/8to 3/4 free play.  Run it for about 10 seconds and see if there is any noise from the clutch hub.  When I checked mine the chain was tight and noise coming from the clutch hub area.  Took off the inner primary cover and removed the seal and it was definitely shot.  Rule that out before anything.

Wood

Quote from: BIMMER on October 14, 2019, 08:51:38 AM
Balance Gear Out Of Time, OR Flywheels Are Scissored, Tell Your Dealer This is Unacceptable An You Want It Fixed.That's If You Still Have Your Warranty, or its on Your Dime. We Had 2 Bikes Same issue we Fixed.   {POWER TRAIN ISSUE}  Good Luck....

Can you please explain what is actually wrong with an M8 when its "balance gear out of time"?  Do any parts have to be replaced?  Is this a factory defect?
Wood

rbabos

Quote from: Wood on December 06, 2019, 06:45:00 AM
Quote from: BIMMER on October 14, 2019, 08:51:38 AM

Can you please explain what is actually wrong with an M8 when its "balance gear out of time"?  Do any parts have to be replaced?  Is this a factory defect?
Pretty sure a counter balancer won't be right at all rpms. They weren't on my softail and even the v rod has one rpm where it's rougher there then anywhere else. Fortunately in my case it's in the low rpms and smooths with engine speed. 60* rather then 45* also makes for a bit more smoother engine.  The softail was the opposite. Higher rpms, more vibes. Both however seem best right in the cruise rpms. Crank balance factor is likely the main reason, even the cb won't be dead nuts everywhere.
Ron