April 18, 2024, 08:56:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO base gaskets...Is it OK to only replace the gasket?

Started by SixShooter14, October 14, 2019, 09:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 16, 2019, 08:03:20 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on October 16, 2019, 07:56:35 AM
While you're in there..........                :pop:

https://www.sscycle.com/products/complete-96-inch-big-bore/stroker-hot-set-up-kit-with-cylinder-heads-for-1993-99-big-twins-wrinkle-black-finish/
haha...I'm in Memphis, the winters aren't that bad.

That's like three weeks downtime with shipping the cases to someone for machining. Piece 'o' cake!  We'll help.....     :smiled:

Chameleon90

Then there is this product which claims to fix the issue of leaking base gaskets forever.  Found this after putting James metal base gaskets in mine.

the Oil FIX
Jeff
Cheesehead

SixShooter14

Quote from: Chameleon90 on October 16, 2019, 08:38:04 AM
Then there is this product which claims to fix the issue of leaking base gaskets forever.  Found this after putting James metal base gaskets in mine.

the Oil FIX

yeah, I've seen those but never tried it. A good warm up procedure has always worked for me.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 16, 2019, 08:11:26 AM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 16, 2019, 08:03:20 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on October 16, 2019, 07:56:35 AM
While you're in there..........                :pop:

https://www.sscycle.com/products/complete-96-inch-big-bore/stroker-hot-set-up-kit-with-cylinder-heads-for-1993-99-big-twins-wrinkle-black-finish/
haha...I'm in Memphis, the winters aren't that bad.

That's like three weeks downtime with shipping the cases to someone for machining. Piece 'o' cake!  We'll help.....     :smiled:
nah, I'm not that ambitious......yet

Right now I'm thinking new gaskets from the base up, new studs, and maybe adjustable pushrods (assuming it has OEMs now :idunno: )

Future:
head porting and new cam (assuming it has OEM cam :idunno: )

I'm not looking for tons of power (famous last words  :doh: ) just a strong, reliable, non-leaking engine.

thumper 823

Most head porting is BS AFAIC
I did my own as I have on all my stuff for years ..but everyone has said brand X will make such a HUGE difference.
I bought into it.

Barf

So far it has been a boatload of BS.
No difference!
If you look at a 911 head and improve on the intake port just a little  (copy)  install the larger valves, unshroud them.
Put the seating area  WAY to the top and narrow.
A good mid-range cam (and springs)
10. something to one  Cr
Viola
You will be at 100hp
Most people that want to keep secrets can't afford to let loose as they don't know much.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

SixShooter14

Quote from: thumper 823 on October 16, 2019, 09:16:19 AM
Most head porting is BS AFAIC
I did my own as I have on all my stuff for years ..but everyone has said brand X will make such a HUGE difference.
I bought into it.

Barf

So far it has been a boatload of BS.
No difference!
If you look at a 911 head and improve on the intake port just a little  (copy)  install the larger valves, unshroud them.
Put the seating area  WAY to the top and narrow.
A good mid-range cam (and springs)
10. something to one  Cr
Viola
You will be at 100hp
Most people that want to keep secrets can't afford to let loose as they don't know much.
by 'porting' I really mean cleaning and slicking up, to help the flow and valves. Maybe even add new lifters to try to reduce some noise, though it's not that bad.

Edit: But I also have no idea what kind of shape the inside of this engine is in. Could be nice and clean or caked up and nasty

thumper 823

The heart of the engine is the cam.
Don't go crazy, 580, to 530  lift or close, .
I  am a fan Of Dave Mackie but looking at the specs I think the better street cams are all about the same.
Of course a new inner bearing.
You will want new lifters for insurance and the high spring pressure.

SixShooter14

Quote from: thumper 823 on October 16, 2019, 09:35:35 AM
The heart of the engine is the cam.
Don't go crazy, 580, to 530  lift or close, .
I  am a fan Of Dave Mackie but looking at the specs I think the better street cams are all about the same.
Of course a new inner bearing.
You will want new lifters for insurance and the high spring pressure.
Yeah, that's the biggest question right now. I have no idea what cam is in it. Or the carb jetting for that matter.

thumper 823

If you have an aftermarket cam you are already running past all stock evos

SixShooter14

Quote from: thumper 823 on October 16, 2019, 09:48:44 AM
I feel I already know this answer...But I'll ask anyway... Is there anyway to ID a cam without pulling it out? Or at least determine if it's stock HD or aftermarket?

thumper 823

It should be stamped right on the end sticking out the timing cover.
You will have to remove whatever you have in there for ignition....
which brings you back to the slippery slope you need better than stock  D.TT

Ohio HD

Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 16, 2019, 09:52:37 AM
I feel I already know this answer...But I'll ask anyway... Is there anyway to ID a cam without pulling it out? Or at least determine if it's stock HD or aftermarket?

Degree wheel is about it.

I mean you really don't know if it has stock anything, pistons milled heads, etc.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 16, 2019, 10:45:34 AM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 16, 2019, 09:52:37 AM

Degree wheel is about it.

I mean you really don't know if it has stock anything, pistons milled heads, etc.
pretty much. I'm trying to find the least invasive way to determine what the inside looks like. But being that it is currently leaking, I don't mind opening the top end to fix that.

I should be able to just pull the pushrod tubes and at least see if they're adjustable.

thumper 823

I forgot if you have virgin  heads you need 0.050 to about 0.075  scraped off your heads
along with the cam and the rest of the goodies.

hbkeith

October 17, 2019, 12:52:43 AM #40 Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:01:10 AM by hbkeith
youre there so ... may as well do it now , on my 97 RK I let Larry port my heads ( bigger valves etc) and mill off 50 ,adjustable pushrods , new lifters, EV27 cam ,stock pistons with new rings,  stock (rejetted) CV carb, stock ignition , used Propipe(you already have better exhaust) ,didn't do new studs and no problems in 50000 miles since work done. the bike was night and day difference in power . NO BS ,you will be happy.    but if you are not gona mill your Heads I would not change the Pushrods , Why ?

Hillside Motorcycle

Machine the un-machined cylinder base.
Cures the leaks.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 17, 2019, 04:04:46 AM
Machine the un-machined cylinder base.
Cures the leaks.
while its apart, I agree, get the base and cyls checked, I was told mine were OK, since it was apart and I was seeping from the base gasket I didn't want to chance it.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SixShooter14

Quote from: hbkeith on October 17, 2019, 12:52:43 AM
youre there so ... may as well do it now , on my 97 RK I let Larry port my heads ( bigger valves etc) and mill off 50 ,adjustable pushrods , new lifters, EV27 cam ,stock pistons with new rings,  stock (rejetted) CV carb, stock ignition , used Propipe(you already have better exhaust) ,didn't do new studs and no problems in 50000 miles since work done. the bike was night and day difference in power . NO BS ,you will be happy.    but if you are not gona mill your Heads I would not change the Pushrods , Why ?
Thanks, that's pretty much my current plan.

Assuming my current cam is stock, I was planning to go with an EV27 or 23 later down the road. But the pushrods could be done at that time and the cost put into head/cyl. machining, which really should be done to compliment the cam change. I'm trying hard to keep this project limited to the top-end for both timing and budgetary reasons.

But there's also nothing saying I can't put it off a few more months and let the budget grow. That's kinda why I'm planning it out so early. The wrenches won't turn until after New Years anyway, so waiting until Mar. or Apr. wouldn't hurt.

thumper 823

If you are not doing the work your self you better get the heads in early as you wont get them back very soon if you are last in line.
As I said the larger and unshrouded valves is 99% of the port work.
Most anyone can do it.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 17, 2019, 06:21:35 AM
Quote from: hbkeith on October 17, 2019, 12:52:43 AM
Thanks, that's pretty much my current plan.

Assuming my current cam is stock, I was planning to go with an EV27 or 23 later down the road. But the pushrods could be done at that time and the cost put into head/cyl. machining, which really should be done to compliment the cam change. I'm trying hard to keep this project limited to the top-end for both timing and budgetary reasons.

But there's also nothing saying I can't put it off a few more months and let the budget grow. That's kinda why I'm planning it out so early. The wrenches won't turn until after New Years anyway, so waiting until Mar. or Apr. wouldn't hurt.
EV 27 is what I went with, mild but better than stock, and a nice bolt on  :up:

rigidthumper

As long as we're spending your money :), EV23 @ 9.5:1 CR is a good overall cam for a RK- outworks the EV27 below 5K
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SixShooter14

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 17, 2019, 08:09:49 AM
As long as we're spending your money :), EV23 @ 9.5:1 CR is a good overall cam for a RK- outworks the EV27 below 5K
thanks a lot  :kick:.

I've been flip-flopping between the EV23 and 27 for months. :idunno:  :argue:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SixShooter14 on October 17, 2019, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on October 17, 2019, 08:09:49 AM
thanks a lot  :kick:.

I've been flip-flopping between the EV23 and 27 for months. :idunno:  :argue:
true but I believe :nix: the EV23 requires some...modifications ? not a bolt on, that may be ok, I just chose not to

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?