March 28, 2024, 03:43:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch basket and bottom end work

Started by dheath9994, October 17, 2019, 03:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

I've built a few twin cams and rule of thumb was always once your around or over 120ft/lbs do the clutch basket and other clutch upgrades. And to do the bottom end and maybe a Timken conversion.

I've seen a lot of people on here doing bolt on big bore kits putting out significantly more power then this with no mention of doing the clutch basket or any lower end work. Did Harley address and improve these in the Milwaukee 8s where it's no longer necessary? Or are a lot of people just riding around on time bombs? 

Barrett

On the Star Power FB page 9/21 George Bryce is using the stock clutch on Bagzilla..
I guess if it slips it doesn't explode..
My little 117" has the Bandit & Basket.. And crank...

Rob L

I put an S&S 124 in the bike last winter. I had a few conversations with people that have done similar and some did replace the basket and others didnt. As a precaution I decided to replace the basket as I was already in there upgrading everything else. I used a billet basket from Barnett

jmorton10

I ran the stock basket for a few years in my 124" RK with no problems.

Then, I saw the massive amount of damage that was caused when a buddy had a basket come apart at 80 mph.

I ordered a forged trask basket for mine the next day LOL

~John

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Goopdienes

on m8 they are using the cvo clutch and basket. all you need is a AIM sdr lockup. as for the crank most m8 crank runout is around .003 which is amazing compared to the twin cam cranks. m8 cranks need to be addressed if its been sumped and overheated. you will know if your rods are hard to move back and forth.

FSG

Ohio HD

I'd check one of our site dealers for this Drag's number.

https://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=331157&partNumber=11320930

I'm pretty sure that Evolution Industries makes these baskets for Trask and Barnett.

codyshop

Quote from: Goopdienes on October 21, 2019, 05:29:44 PM
on m8 they are using the cvo clutch and basket. all you need is a AIM sdr lockup. as for the crank most m8 crank runout is around .003 which is amazing compared to the twin cam cranks. m8 cranks need to be addressed if its been sumped and overheated. you will know if your rods are hard to move back and forth.

My '18 SGS 107 was .009"