April 25, 2024, 12:53:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 Heritage POPS

Started by Tynker, October 17, 2019, 08:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

My friend has a 2002 Heritage, it pops and spits (his terms) when warm,but only under a load. He says cold it seems normal,but pops when hot. He has replaced the plugs, plug wires, and coil, none of this helped. He got it at an estate auction, so he does not know how long it has sat, not running. He has replaced the old gas. It has 46,000 miles on the clock..Any ideas ??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Scotty

October 17, 2019, 10:55:27 PM #1 Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:06:08 AM by Scotty
Injected or Carb? They came as both in 2002

If carb it needs to be pulled apart and jets check as they clog up easy when sitting for a long time especially.
A rebuild kit and some new jets always helps.
If EFI the injectors could be blocked or not spraying properly or pump pressure could be low due to fuel sitting to long.
Lost of variables when a bike has been sitting around.

Tynker

It is injected. He is bring it to me Next week for inspection. It might also be a pin hole in the inside fuel line .  I will do a pressure test on the pump, then remove the injectors and check for a proper spray.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

Check for vacuum leaks too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

shindig

Throttle body, manifold, and intake gasket/seals.  Also check for exhaust leaks at the heads

IronButt70

October 18, 2019, 01:45:29 PM #5 Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:21:13 PM by IronButt70
May want to look inside the cam chest to check the tensioners.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Tynker

Thanks for all the tips. I will do a general inspection of all your suggestions ,and mine. Will keep you updated.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

FSG

check what plugs hes put in as well

Tynker

Problem was inside of the gas tank. Bad hoses and check valve. I replaced all hoses ck valve, filter, pressure regulator. Bike runs like new now. Thanks for all your replies.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere