March 28, 2024, 05:35:35 AM

News:

Lithium Battery Article

Started by Nastytls, October 18, 2019, 05:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

There are always posts here asking about these batteries. While I'm already a believer in them and use one in my Dyna, I still found this article interesting.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/lithium-motorcycle-batteries-myths-vs-realities

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

jls 64

Yes, interesting read,thanks por posting it
js

FloridaJim5

Deye76

"The fires we typically read about are with lithium-ion batteries, the types of batteries that power small electronics, like smartphones and laptop computers. In motorcycle applications, the batteries are constructed from a lithium-iron-phosphate blend that gives up a little in its power density for significantly more chemical stability than traditional lithium-ion batteries." 

Why  I always make the distinction in these lithium threads.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on October 18, 2019, 04:27:41 PM
"The fires we typically read about are with lithium-ion batteries, the types of batteries that power small electronics, like smartphones and laptop computers. In motorcycle applications, the batteries are constructed from a lithium-iron-phosphate blend that gives up a little in its power density for significantly more chemical stability than traditional lithium-ion batteries." 

And yet they keep reoccurring. Same discussion over and over.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Leed

Thanks for posting that!
I wish I would have read that before buying a new battery a few months ago...

speedzter

Interesting article, but it was basically Advertising.

Some Ducati's and KTM's come with Lithium as standard, made by the "skyrich" company in Asia.
They still appear to have there problems.

Here's an interesting warranty document from Ducati with some Lithium specific info.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153909-9999.pdf

1workinman

Quote from: turboprop on October 18, 2019, 05:43:12 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on October 18, 2019, 04:27:41 PM

And yet they keep reoccurring. Same discussion over and over.
a couple of weeks ago I went out to start my Road Glide that has the 145 inch motor in it . That has not given any more starting problems hot starts with the larger cables and the twin power battery. For what ever reason the battery was  very low would not start bike . I installed the charger , I was a tad un sure it would charge after hearing all of the problems but it did charge and I rode it the next day. Installed the charger on it last week end and it went to the green state almost instantly . . When the battery goes belly up on my   124 street glide it going to get a better battery also . That twin power really helped the hot starts with the 145 at 12.2 and 640 cam . 

92flhtcu

1workinman-remeber these batteries like a few key cycles if they've been cold and not on a maintainer. I have the Twin power Li-Ion in a few bikes and forget this once in awhile
Need a bigger garage

wfolarry

I put a lithium battery in my bike. As long as it was on the maintainer no problems. Wanted to test the start feature if the battery goes dead so I let it drain. Turned on the key nothing so I hit the button. The bike cranked up & fired but it died out. Nothing left in the battery. Jump started the bike & took it for a short ride. At a stoplight hit the turn signal button & it died. Deader than a doornail. Pushed the bike home. Back on the charger. Nothing. Couldn't get the battery back. Put the old battery back in & away I went. I don't think I'll chance it again. Too finicky for me.

turboprop

Lithium batteries becomes bricked when their voltage drops below a certain point. Nothing can be done to bing them back. Many of the newer lithium batteries have internal protections that disconnect the terminals when the voltage drops. My newest Anti Gravity battery has a feature called Re-Start. If the voltage does below a certain point the battery shuts off until the user presses a button on the battery. Has saved me a couple times when I left the ignition on at work all day. I have bricked a couple of the earlier lithium batteries I tried. Currently running AG batteries in all three of my bikes. The one in my red bike has been there for a couple years.

Bottom line; the technology for lithium batteries is constantly evolving and improving. Unfortunately, the internet will always be full of guys with horror stories of something they tried years ago or some bargain basement knockoff that didnt work.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

My routine, no matter AGM, or LI, when I pull into the garage I plug the maintainer in. I have more than 1 bike, so a good habit. If you are riding your bike everyday, not necessary. FWIW, if I let a AGM go flat, yeah it might take a charge, but it's life was shortened.     
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Check the link and read the AntiGravity info on the ATX-30-RS (re-start) and the ATX-30-HD.  Notice the high CCA and AH.  These are the most advanced Lion available and manufactured with all of the negative effects of motorcycles taken into consideration.  Both batteries have discharge protection that puts the battery to sleep if needed to protect the battery life.  The restart will of course reactivate with the button on the battery case but both units will reset by touching 12 volts to the terminals.  You can use the starter stud or set up an accessory plug like a battery charger cable to accept 12 volt power. If you carry a pocket size microstart jumpstart battery it's plug and play or clip to the starter stud to re-activate. The BMS (battery management system) prevents excessive discharge or overcharge (overheating) and a 3 year warranty.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/starter-batteries/restart-oem/
KD

Will-Run

Going on 4yrs. with mine. The new ones are even better. I would never go back. :up:
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I'm not certain who the H-D Manufacturer is but will find out later today.

What we have seen is many that have just stopped working. No fires, nothing like that. Some of our Customers are going back to AGM. I'm sure, if they haven't already addressed the issues (I'll check with parts). First time I pulled one out I threw it mistakenly as their weight is very reduced from AGM, Another plus.

While we're not getting the Livewire (Dealership did not apply), those Batteries are "supposed to be very good". 

One thing stressed in Training was "they'll kill you if not worked on as stated in their Training". My buddy said in training: " so basically, you're telling me we're expected to work on an Atomic Bomb if something goes wrong". The Instructor said ".. that's one way to look at it.."

Tom