March 28, 2024, 09:47:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shock-ing, I tell ya

Started by JW113, October 18, 2019, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Was on a weekend ride up in the Sierra foothills last weekend with a bunch of fellow biker buds. Other than being the slowest bike in the pack, had a lot of fun. Somewhere along the way, maybe on the way home, Bob C said he could hear a bell like ringing coming from my bike. I had heard it too, just wrote it off to maybe one of the rear shock covers rattling around.

I got home, and took a look. The left side was tight as a drum, but the right side had some pretty good movement. It appeared to be quite solid against the upper eyelet, but definitely would easily rock around. So today I got it on the stand, removed the upper nut and then the lower bolt, and it BOING-KerBLAM!

[attach=0]

Shock shaft broken right off at the eyelet! The only thing holding it together was gravity. I have another set of 12" shocks in the garage of some unknown application and vintage, I'm sure they'll hold the fender off the tire until I round up another set of the FLH style shocks. Unfortunately about all I see available these days are supplied by (ugh!!) V-Tiwan. The stock ones I see are from Showa, considered looking for a used set but they'd likely be worn out after all these years. Que sera...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

JW113

Yes, I'm sure they are. This is the part that steers me away from PS shocks:

"means they will be an improvement to your motorcycle's suspension performance for as long as you are riding it. "

Pretty much anymore, when I see the word "performance" used in the same sentence as "shocks", that translates to "hard as a rock". My FLH is the nicest riding bike in my stable. Trying to keep it that way.

-JW

Trouble

You know your FLHR has air-adjustable rear shocks. Perhaps you can fit a set of those on the FLH.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

boggart

Quote from: JW113 on October 18, 2019, 02:24:36 PM
Yes, I'm sure they are. This is the part that steers me away from PS shocks:

"means they will be an improvement to your motorcycle's suspension performance for as long as you are riding it. "

Pretty much anymore, when I see the word "performance" used in the same sentence as "shocks", that translates to "hard as a rock". My FLH is the nicest riding bike in my stable. Trying to keep it that way.

-JW

I had a pair of the 412's on my 95 FLH.  They rode really nice.  Smoother than factory air.  Just have to make sure you don't get the Heavy Duty springs if you don't really really need them.

JW113

My FLHR "did" have air adjustable 12" springs, rode like a lumber wagon. Or maybe hardtail would be more accurate. It now has Ohlins, and frankly, not impressed. Also not what I call a plush ride. They're performance shocks, need I say more? My softail, let's not go there we all know how softails ride. No, the stock FLH springs/shocks were a very nice Buick-like ride. Am hoping these "replica" ones that I just ordered are similar.

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on October 18, 2019, 03:51:20 PM
My FLHR "did" have air adjustable 12" springs, rode like a lumber wagon. Or maybe hardtail would be more accurate. It now has Ohlins, and frankly, not impressed. Also not what I call a plush ride. They're performance shocks, need I say more? My softail, let's not go there we all know how softails ride. No, the stock FLH springs/shocks were a very nice Buick-like ride. Am hoping these "replica" ones that I just ordered are similar.

-JW
any chance of a pic of your flh dont see em here in australia

guppymech

Stock H-D Dyna shocks are a dead ringer for Shovelhead shocks. They bolt right on and come in many lengths so choose wisely, only the MoCo could manage that!  I run a set of 12.5 Dynas on my FXE and am happy with them.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

rkrcpa

Are the rear shocks rebuildable? Obviously not applicable for the broken shock but what about in general?

The reason I ask is I have a couple of sets of shocks off my 80 FLH that would benefit from a rebuild. It's been so long I don't remember why they were replaced, most likely because they were leaking.

BTW, I replaced the last set with a set of shocks off of a Dyna.

rageglide

I have a set of older shocks if you want to try em out.  I forget the length, 11 or 12".  They should have that fairly worn out plush-ness you want

I heard that ringing sound on the way out of town, I wonder when it actually broke.  Probably on your normal commute on those sh*tty roads near your work...

JW113

Thanks Bob, might take you up on that. Indeed no idea when the eyelet broke, as it was asymptomatic other than the ring tone. The set of shocks I had hanging on the wall were evidently from my '80 sportster, with shock mount at the rear of the swing arm, not in the middle. The FLH now looks like it's had a 3" lowering kit on it! I ratcheted the spring preload up to the max, raised it about an inch? Clearly not going to cut it.

Oh and Dave, just for you.

[attach=0]

-JW

rageglide

The shocks i have are older set of Progressives 12" eye to eye.  I expect we could pop the spring out and you could put the covers on them.  They look just like your broken shock.  I'll drop em off later if you want

JW113

Thanks to Bob's generosity, all fixed. Have not taken it out for a spin, but definitely sitting and bouncing on it, the PS are noticeably firmer. I actually tried to fit the springs from the stock Showas in them, but the body of the PS damper is bigger so no go. But at least it's roadworthy again!

:up:

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2019, 11:17:47 AM
Thanks Bob, might take you up on that. Indeed no idea when the eyelet broke, as it was asymptomatic other than the ring tone. The set of shocks I had hanging on the wall were evidently from my '80 sportster, with shock mount at the rear of the swing arm, not in the middle. The FLH now looks like it's had a 3" lowering kit on it! I ratcheted the spring preload up to the max, raised it about an inch? Clearly not going to cut it.

[attach=0,msg1319710]

-JW
thats it. nice and plain

jls 64

Quote from: david lee on October 19, 2019, 05:25:41 PM
Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2019, 11:17:47 AM

[attach=0,msg1319710]

-JW
thats it. nice and plain
:up: :agree:
js

rageglide

Hopefully they aren't too bad in real life.  Fairly certain they are 412's.  Too bad your original springs won't fit.

JW113

I'm sure all will be well, will go for a breakfast run tomorrow to shake it out. And here is the latest snapshot of how it sits in the driveway.

-JW

[attach=0]

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2019, 10:29:52 PM
I'm sure all will be well, will go for a breakfast run tomorrow to shake it out. And here is the latest snapshot of how it sits in the driveway.

-JW

[attach=0,msg1319781]

I see pix like that and sometimes I hate you guys .......  but it doesn't last   :chop:

friday

david lee

Quote from: FSG on October 19, 2019, 11:33:54 PM
Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2019, 10:29:52 PM

-JW

[attach=0,msg1319781]
looks stored since new.cant say ive seen one better.bet it sounds good too

I see pix like that and sometimes I hate you guys .......  but it doesn't last   :chop:

rageglide

I'm sure JW has a picture of the bike as it looked when he got it.  He's put a crap load of time and effort into fixing all the crap that was screwed up.    :up: :up:

JW113

"Before" pix and details at:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=80781.0

While the pix on ebay looked decent, live and in the flesh was not quite as impressive. Everything that could be worn out, was. Engine barely ran, brakes were non-existent, oil leaking like the Exxon Valdez. No matter, I was looking for something that was mostly stock, and not hacked up, for a frame off last nut & bolt project.

Our trip last weekend to the Sierra foothills, it chugged along pretty well. At anything above about 75mph, it was definitely in the "breaking bolts and parts falling off" zone, so tended to keep it at 70 & under. Poor Bob, must have been painful to have to ride in the slow lane all the way up & back on a bike that cruises at 90. But I did get over 50mpg with it!

OK enough chit chat, going to go check out my "new" shocks.
:scoot:

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on October 20, 2019, 11:37:05 AM
"Before" pix and details at:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=80781.0

While the pix on ebay looked decent, live and in the flesh was not quite as impressive. Everything that could be worn out, was. Engine barely ran, brakes were non-existent, oil leaking like the Exxon Valdez. No matter, I was looking for something that was mostly stock, and not hacked up, for a frame off last nut & bolt project.

Our trip last weekend to the Sierra foothills, it chugged along pretty well. At anything above about 75mph, it was definitely in the "breaking bolts and parts falling off" zone, so tended to keep it at 70 & under. Poor Bob, must have been painful to have to ride in the slow lane all the way up & back on a bike that cruises at 90. But I did get over 50mpg with it!

OK enough chit chat, going to go check out my "new" shocks.
:scoot:

-JW
cant believe the before pic. a great transformation. well done

JW113

Actually, the "before" was a pretty tough looking Shovelhead. Which is what caught my attention. If the reality of it would have matched the look, I might have been tempted to leave it as is. But frankly, it was a total POS. Leaving me no choice but to "JW-ify" it.
:SM:

As it is today, it's a very tame, easy to ride, nice old Shovelhead. Seemingly dependable, and has impressive urban manners. It's basically turned into my daily ride.

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on October 20, 2019, 04:58:45 PM
Actually, the "before" was a pretty tough looking Shovelhead. Which is what caught my attention. If the reality of it would have matched the look, I might have been tempted to leave it as is. But frankly, it was a total POS. Leaving me no choice but to "JW-ify" it.
:SM:

As it is today, it's a very tame, easy to ride, nice old Shovelhead. Seemingly dependable, and has impressive urban manners. It's basically turned into my daily ride.

-JW
no pos no more.i could cruise on that at every oportunity.what model is it