March 28, 2024, 01:43:59 AM

News:

exhaust compatibility for an 85 FXR

Started by Flhfxd, October 18, 2019, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flhfxd

My brother needs a new exhaust system for his 85 FXRT as the the stock system is at the end of its life. This bike has about 30000 miles and is bone stock. Obviously there are little to no options to replace the exhaust for a bike this age.
So the question is, what later year bikes will fit this particular year EVO engine....?
Thank you.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

guido4198

I'm an '85 FXR rider. Still riding the one I bought new in 1985. That said, I'm curious how his exhaust reached the "end of it's life" at 30,000 mi. ??
As you already know...There aren't many options available. I don't know any later year pipes that will just bolt on. I've read some suggestions about putting mid-90's softtail pipes on an FXR by having custom brackets fabricated, but can't comment on whether that's a  real option as I've never tried it. I hope someone with hands-on experience will read your question and post so that we'll all learn. Depending upon what's wrong with the original exhaust system on the bike...he might want to consider repair and re-plating rather than pulling and replacing.

hbkeith

depends a lot on what your trying to do , you want OEM replacement ? check with Elvis, you just need mufflers ? need the head pipe ? etc . as far as what BOLTs to the EVO engine , I run a Pro Pipe on my EVO I took off a 06 StreetGlide , bolts right up to the engine , think Paucho makes staggerd dauls for FXR , plenty of 2into1 available

turboprop

Quote from: Flhfxd on October 18, 2019, 07:53:16 PM
My brother needs a new exhaust system for his 85 FXRT as the the stock system is at the end of its life. This bike has about 30000 miles and is bone stock. Obviously there are little to no options to replace the exhaust for a bike this age.
So the question is, what later year bikes will fit this particular year EVO engine....?
Thank you.

Mufflers from evo softails are interchangeable with the ones on FXRR head pipes. There are many such mufflers on Ebay. Same with the oem FXR head pipes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Burnout

October 19, 2019, 08:10:55 AM #4 Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:05:05 AM by Burnout
I have a Dyna pipe on my 87.

Here's an old pic.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Flhfxd

Sorry for late follow up. I think the intermediate pipe has a crack at the weld. The aftermarket mufflers are shot with rust etc. He either doesn't have or doesn't want to use the originals as you would expect. He lives 3 hours away, flight time. So I haven't seen the bike. I believe he'd like to put a 2 into 1 on it but it's nearly impossible to find a current reference for that year.
My mailbox has been emptied.
Cheers Flhfxd

turboprop

Quote from: Flhfxd on October 20, 2019, 12:01:37 PM
Sorry for late follow up. I think the intermediate pipe has a crack at the weld. The aftermarket mufflers are shot with rust etc. He either doesn't have or doesn't want to use the originals as you would expect. He lives 3 hours away, flight time. So I haven't seen the bike. I believe he'd like to put a 2 into 1 on it but it's nearly impossible to find a current reference for that year.
Cheers Flhfxd

There are plenty of 2-1 pipes available that were designed for the FXR chassis.

Flhfxd

Quote from: turboprop on October 20, 2019, 01:13:57 PM
Cheers Flhfxd

Good to hear. Do you have a particular reference?

turboprop

Quote from: Flhfxd on October 20, 2019, 02:14:12 PM
Quote from: turboprop on October 20, 2019, 01:13:57 PM
Cheers Flhfxd

Good to hear. Do you have a particular reference?

The pipes on my big block FXRs is not what you are looking for. Curious, what pipes have you found that are available for the FXR, where have you looked?

Hossamania

October 20, 2019, 08:03:00 PM #10 Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:22:15 PM by FSG
A very quick Google search.

Thunderheader 1018B 2-into-1 Exhaust System - Black - 85-86 FXR

Not sure if you need a longer pipe for the T, but since I'm a Thunderheader guy, I though that I'd start there.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Flhfxd

This inquiry was for my brother. Told him I'd ask you all cause you guys frequently have a good inside scoop. He just goes in circles with internet technology. So thanks. I'll pass this along.

guido4198

Quote from: Hossamania on October 20, 2019, 08:03:00 PM

Not sure if you need a longer pipe for the T, but since I'm a Thunderheader guy, I though that I'd start there.
Hoss...Being as you're a Thunderheader Guy, and I'm an '85 FXR Guy...I'm hoping you can tell me a couple of things.
Does going to a Thunderheader mean giving up mid-controls..??
How does a Thunderheader bolt onto an FXR..?? What brackets,(where does it attach..??) and does it use the infamous "rear donut" mount ??
Thanks. I'd like to learn more about them and how one would mount up on my '85 FXRS.

Hossamania

Quote from: guido4198 on October 22, 2019, 01:29:52 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 20, 2019, 08:03:00 PM

Hoss...Being as you're a Thunderheader Guy, and I'm an '85 FXR Guy...I'm hoping you can tell me a couple of things.
Does going to a Thunderheader mean giving up mid-controls..??
How does a Thunderheader bolt onto an FXR..?? What brackets,(where does it attach..??) and does it use the infamous "rear donut" mount ??
Thanks. I'd like to learn more about them and how one would mount up on my '85 FXRS.

I'm a Thunderheader guy, but can't help at all with the FXR. Turboprop might be able to help. I just pulled this up because it says it fit the '85 FXR, and I know it's a good performing pipe on stock and lightly modified motors. It comes in chrome as well.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

twincamzz

not all who wander are lost...

tdrglide

Don't know about donut mounts for early models, but the pipes for mid controls have a little extra bend under the pegs for clearance. I knew someone who ran a thunderheaders on a later model fxr's with mid controls. (89 and 92).
http://www.directcycleparts.com/exhaust-thunderheader-systems-thunderheader-1015-into-exhaust-system-chrome-center-controls-p-3932.html

turboprop

Cheers Flhfxd

The year and model are irrelevant to this discussion. The critical points are engine style (Evo or Shovel), foot controls (Mid, Forward or Floorboard) and if saddle bags are present. Thats it. There are many, many 2-1 pipes available for Evo (and TC) powered FXRs. I have touched just about all of them. I am not going to make a list but will gladly discuss specific pipes that you have found online.

guido4198

Quote from: tdrglide on October 23, 2019, 09:49:55 AM
Don't know about donut mounts for early models, but the pipes for mid controls have a little extra bend under the pegs for clearance. I knew someone who ran a thunderheaders on a later model fxr's with mid controls. (89 and 92).
http://www.directcycleparts.com/exhaust-thunderheader-systems-thunderheader-1015-into-exhaust-system-chrome-center-controls-p-3932.html
Thank you.
I've been running mid-controls for a few decades and like'em, paired up with forward pegs-only, makes for a nice ride.
I'm wonderin how those Thunderheader pipes bolt up on an FXR. ?? Too low to use the rear "donut" and the muffler end looks like a lot of weight to be just hanging out in space given how much the motor/tranny unit moves in the rubber mount frame. hmmm... :scratch:

Burnout

Actually a ThunderHeader is not as heavy as other pipes, lighter than a Pro Pipe or a Supertrapp.

Turbo - many pipes from other models will fit FXR's but may hit Mid or Forward controls. The pipe on mine hits the mid controls when the motor moves. Even though I took it off a Dyna, I think it is a softatail pipe because it has no dip to clear mids.

Those doughnut mounts don't do much to carry the weight, the best muffler support is like what a Dyna has, it picks up four trans trap door bolts and extends back and bolts to the muffler. This type of mounting moves with the motor so the pipe does not get stressed. I have often heard of pipes cracking towards the rear on FXR's because a frame mount does not move with the motor.

Deye76

"Actually a ThunderHeader is not as heavy as other pipes, lighter than a Pro Pipe or a Supertrapp.

I've had both, didn't think that was right, looked it up, Supertrapp 9lbs, TH (short one) almost 18 pounds.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

I think one is a muffler only and the other is a shipping weight.
Ill weigh one tomorrow.