March 29, 2024, 08:31:37 AM

News:

Stopping Oil Weep

Started by Jim Bronson, October 19, 2019, 12:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I've posted about this before. One of my base O-rings is leaking, and I can see a light film of oil at the base pf the cylinders. I've just been wiping it off once in a while, but it does bug me. I was wondering whether any of the automotive "stop leak" oil additives might be effective in sealing the O-rings better to stop the weeping. Some of them are advertised as specific for sealing rubber.

Anyone have opinions on these or possibly experience using them?
Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

smoserx1

I wouldn't try it.  Either keep wiping or fix it.

kd

I have had good success with an additive called XM5.  I use it in engines and gear boxes for other reasons (lubrication) but a side benefit is that it reconstitutes elasticity to o-rings and seals.  It also creates a "surface tension" layer between 2 surfaces that I have found stops leaks similar to what you have.

KD

IronButt70

KD turned me on to XM-5 right after I bought my 17 FLSTC. Just turned 50k miles. No leaks, weeps and never add a drop between 5k oil changes.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jim Bronson

Thanks guys. The XM-5 literature doesn't mention anything about stopping existing leaks. Other products are advertised specifically to stop leaks, but they don't mention motorcycle applications. No doubt XM-5 is a good oil stabilizer, but I'm wondering if it will help with my existing weep. It would be worth a try I guess. Nothing to lose.

kd

Jim, some of the original literature did discuss the effect on leaks and the reconditioning effect on rubber seals and o-rings.  I am describing my experience with it since the mid 70's. 

My '56 slabside shovelhead stroker was always dry.  I once had a loose intake guide on the rear head that huffed oil. (would blow smoke rings out the rear pipe at idle   :crook: )  With 25% XM5 I put another 15,000 miles on it without any smoking before I tore it down to fix it.   

All of my vehicles, gear boxes and transfer cases etc that I used it in were leak free too.  I primarily used it for the lube enhancing quality and dry start protection (especially in our winter temps).  It actually improved cranking speed.  I do know after over 40 years of using it, it won't do anything but good in your engine and I am not an additive hound.  If over one oil change cycle you see an improvement in the seep, you will have some success making it last until rebuild time too. (or longer).   The one issue you may have is accessing easily it in the US.  They (as a manufacturer) appear to have discontinued shipping it there.  The distributors may be the only ones that might.

IronButt, that's good news on the negative oil consumption.  Especially in a hot state like Florida. :up: I remember you saying you were doing some extended rides this past summer too.  How did the transmission like it?   
KD

Jim Bronson

Many thanks KD. I'll give it a try if I can find it. It may take some detective work. Based on your info, it would probably be a waste of time to look locally.

rageglide

Warm the engine up more before you lean on it.  Evos' leaked due to the crappy gasket, the twinkies have an o ring that mostly addressed the problem.  If the o-rings were damaged when engine was assembled it's doomed to weep/leak. 

If you want to do it right pull the cylinders, true up the surfaces and replace the o rings.  You could also get a thin base gasket and coat it on both sides with a light smear of permatex #2 sealant.  But sealer shouldn't be required if all surfaces are good.

rigidthumper

I'd never add anything to the oil that says " Shake well before using".
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

KD

crock

Quote from: kd on October 19, 2019, 12:58:19 PM
I have had good success with an additive called XM5.  I use it in engines and gear boxes for other reasons (lubrication) but a side benefit is that it reconstitutes elasticity to o-rings and seals.  It also creates a "surface tension" layer between 2 surfaces that I have found stops leaks similar to what you have.

Where do you get this stuff. Any info I find says "Doesn't ship out of Canada".
Crock

Jim Bronson

Quote from: crock on October 20, 2019, 07:20:48 AM

Where do you get this stuff. Any info I find says "Doesn't ship out of Canada".
I ordered direct from the Canadian distributor.

IronButt70

Quote from: kd on October 19, 2019, 06:23:15 PM
Jim, some of the original literature did discuss the effect on leaks and the reconditioning effect on rubber seals and o-rings.  I am describing my experience with it since the mid 70's. 

My '56 slabside shovelhead stroker was always dry.  I once had a loose intake guide on the rear head that huffed oil. (would blow smoke rings out the rear pipe at idle   :crook: )  With 25% XM5 I put another 15,000 miles on it without any smoking before I tore it down to fix it.   

All of my vehicles, gear boxes and transfer cases etc that I used it in were leak free too.  I primarily used it for the lube enhancing quality and dry start protection (especially in our winter temps).  It actually improved cranking speed.  I do know after over 40 years of using it, it won't do anything but good in your engine and I am not an additive hound.  If over one oil change cycle you see an improvement in the seep, you will have some success making it last until rebuild time too. (or longer).   The one issue you may have is accessing easily it in the US.  They (as a manufacturer) appear to have discontinued shipping it there.  The distributors may be the only ones that might.

IronButt, that's good news on the negative oil consumption.  Especially in a hot state like Florida. :up: I remember you saying you were doing some extended rides this past summer too.  How did the transmission like it?
We went to Laconia and made 2 trips to ride twisties around the BRP. Tranny was smooooooth.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jim Bronson

It looks like I'm out of luck. They refunded my money and said they don't ship to the US. I'll have to find something else.  :emsad:

Big Cahuna

When I had my '96 Police bike , it developed a decent leak at the rear valve cover. I didn't feel like pulling it apart so this is what I did. Wiped it off, sprayed some brake cleaner where the leak was, then put some clear RTV on my finger an smeared it inwards where I thought the leak was. The wiped as much of it off as I could, and let it dry overnight. It solved that problem. I sold the bike 3 years later and it never leaked , and if I didn't tell you where the leak was, you would never know.,,,

Jim Bronson

Unfortunately, I think the leak is at the base of the rear cylinder between cylinders. I can't see how to get RTV in there except to just apply a lot and try to wipe the excess away by feeding a shop rag between the cylinders. I don't want to make a big mess. I'd rather just leave it alone.

FTBY55

There is a product that I purchased from a gentleman while he was in AZ. I believe that it is the same product but labeled for sale in the U.S., it does say that it is made in Canada.
APL...Advanced Petroleum Lubricants. Haven't used it enough to comment but he ran it in his classic Mustang. 

-deuced-

What's wrong with Reply #1 ?

phillyfan

My 5.3 chevy has the all to common rear main seal leak. With 213,000 miles, its been great. I just put a bottle of this in it 3 weeks ago. If it hasn't stopped the leak it has slowed it down to almost nothing. For the price it was worth a shot. Dropping the transfer case, transmission and exhaust is the other option.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/motor-oil-saver-1.html
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

Jim Bronson

Quote from: -deuced- on October 21, 2019, 04:02:12 PM
What's wrong with Reply #1 ?
Option one is what I'm trying to avoid.
Option two would require a top end teardown. That's not going to happen for a minor oil weep.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: phillyfan on October 21, 2019, 04:58:42 PM
My 5.3 chevy has the all to common rear main seal leak. With 213,000 miles, its been great. I just put a bottle of this in it 3 weeks ago. If it hasn't stopped the leak it has slowed it down to almost nothing. For the price it was worth a shot. Dropping the transfer case, transmission and exhaust is the other option.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/motor-oil-saver-1.html
Interesting. According to their video, it is a friction modifier.

phillyfan

I first heard about it on the avalanche forum. Then did the research on bob is the oil guy. Those guys are over the top on that site, must be a lot of chemist.

For my situation it was worth a shot.
From what other users have said on the oil site is after the initial use, 1/2 bottle each oil change after that to maintain. With my main seal leak Im still going to use the whole bottle.

Just my experience with it. How well it will work in a bike, I have no idea
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

stafford

Could you not contact one of the members on the forum and get them to get a bottle or two and ship it to you. Seems like it should work. Good luck with your dilemma.
Stafford

Jim Bronson

Quote from: stafford on November 15, 2019, 01:40:36 AM
Could you not contact one of the members on the forum and get them to get a bottle or two and ship it to you. Seems like it should work. Good luck with your dilemma.
Stafford
That's what I'll wind up doing. It's low on the priority list for now unless it gets worse.