April 23, 2024, 08:43:03 AM

News:

Unidentified Ring Gear and Clutch Hub

Started by aabikrman, October 19, 2019, 03:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aabikrman

I have what I think is a Screamin Eagle Clutch assembly installed and my ring gear chipped a few teeth.  The bike is a 2000 FLHT with a Screamin Eagle 6 speed that I bought used back in about '03.  I would like to order the replacement parts so they're on hand for the install when I return from a trip I leave town on tomorrow.  The removed ring gear has an inner diameter of 6 5/8" and uses 5/16-20 socket head allen cap fasteners. The local Harley dealer is of no help.....  I can't find any specific info with regards to specs on the various aftermarket vendors so I can order a replacement ring gear and pinion.  Anybody have a good idea as to what I need to order ?  I would think this is a somewhat standard sized part with the possible exception of fastener size. 

Also, the clutch hub splines are in bad shape so I need to replace the clutch hub and of course prefer a good quality steel hub.  The clutch hub looks suspiciously close to a stock Harley hub.....Any recommendations or measurements I could take to ID this clutch assembly so I order a good quality part ?  There are no markings of any kind on pressure plate, etc...

I did not build this bike and the previous owner claimed all work was performed at a Harley dealership which is why I think it's probably a Screamin Eagle clutch.  I'm running a Bandit in another bike and it's similar looking but not quite the same as this one.

rageglide

Count the ring teeth and start there.  That looks like the early SE clutch hub.  It should have same # teeth as the original hub through '06. 

You could also call Bandit and John probably has some answers.  Count the splines on mainshaft before. 

rigidthumper

Given the wear I see on that shell and hub, I'd consider replacing that, too.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aabikrman

Thanks for the replies.  Some good info. 

First thing I did after tearing it down yesterday afternoon was call Bandit and they're closed on weekends.  Hopefully have time midday Mon to call again. 

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 20, 2019, 06:01:45 AM

:agree:  The notching in the ears is pretty extreme.  It's probably a good time to chose a new assembly.  Bandit is a great place to go to. 
KD

FSG

:up:  without a shadow of doubt 

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on October 20, 2019, 02:31:56 PM

:up:  without a shadow of doubt 

Yup, that's pretty bad.
Ron

No Cents

the teeth on the clutch hub looks to have seen better days too.
:up:  on a Bandit clutch with a new basket.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

aabikrman

Thank you for the replies. Parts were ordered and hopefully be at the house when I get home tonight.