March 28, 2024, 09:48:45 PM

News:

chips in tranny oil after swap

Started by jmorton10, October 20, 2019, 04:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

A buddy of mine tore up his stock 6 speed tranny in his 08 RK.

The bike is a hot-rod that he beats the sh** out of & he ripped about 6 teeth off of 3rd gear.  He wanted to put a baker tranny in it but was short on funds so another dude we know loaned him a stock 6 speed he had removed from a CVO bike when he installed a DD7 in that.

I put the loaner tranny in for him.  There was broken teeth & metal chips etc. all through the thing when I took it apart & I cleaned & flushed out the tranny case as best as I could but didn't remove the oil pan.

After I got it running, I changed the tranny oil about 5 times (Redline light duty shockproof).  He has one of those super magnet plugs in it & it kept pulling out more metal chips. After about 5 oil changes that stopped & it is shifting fine.

I'm wondering how I could have cleaned that mess out any better when I had it apart without having to remove the oil pan ??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

MikeL

Other than putting the transmission case in a parts washer cleaning the case in place is good enough. The oil pan on that bike is for engine oil you might want to flush out the oil drain port chips will get stuck on the walls of that cavity. Next time flush with cheep engine oil then refill with the good stuff.

MIKE

smoserx1

:agree:
Exactly what I was thinking.  No tranny oil resides in the pan, it just provides a drain path.  Cheap engine oil is fine for flushing.