April 19, 2024, 11:01:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another “ticking” thread... Sorry!!

Started by gymply, October 22, 2019, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gymply

Apologizes for severing the horse head. Already searched "ticking" and read quite a bit. Hoping someone may have had a similar problem...

Bike: 2012 FLHR, 49K miles, 103 CI stock heads, pistons, and cylinders.  Andrews 57 cams, SE HB, V&H Pro Pipe, SERT, GMR Tune, Johnson Hy-Lift lifters, stock pushrods.

I installed the cams at 15K and had the bike dyno tuned by Steve at GMR at that time. Been running flawlessly ever since. On the way home from Arkansas a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a ticking noise. Mostly comes on around 3000 RPM in every gear.  No change in power or drive ability; noise just appeared out of nowhere. 

Already pulled the primary and checked the comp sprocket. Looks good visually and the sprocket bolt was tight. Primary chain, tensioner, and clutch also looked good. No exhaust leaks. Motor mounts look good and are tight.  Damn. Was hoping this would be easy...

Getting ready to wade into the valve train. At 49K, it's time to inspect the hydraulic cam chain tensioners anyway. Obvious suspects would be rocker shafts and lifters. Am I correct in thinking if it is a faulty lifter that it would be ticking at all RPMs?? Also, wouldn't the the rocker shafts be making noise all thru the RPM range if worn?? The specific 3000 RPM range when the tick comes in has got me stumped.

Guess I'm just looking for opinions here on any other things or possibilities I should be on the lookout for once inside.  All advice appreciated!!
~gymply

Rockout Rocker Products

The ticking coming in at a certain RPM then leaving is a tell tale sign of rocker shaft tapping.

Thousands cured worldwide   :smiled:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FXDBI

October 22, 2019, 06:17:36 PM #2 Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:22:56 PM by FXDBI
Does it go away at a higher rpm? Does it do it sitting stationary and running. In gear out of gear. Need more info.  Bob

gymply

Quote from: FXDBI on October 22, 2019, 06:17:36 PM
Does it go away at a higher rpm?  Bob

It is present after 3K and above but I'm not sure how far up the range. I'll  have to take it for a spin to check...
~gymply

gymply

Quote from: FXDBI on October 22, 2019, 06:17:36 PM
Does it go away at a higher rpm? Does it do it sitting stationary and running. In gear out of gear. Need more info.  Bob

I only hear it while in gear and moving down the road. No noise when in neutral and stationary. It occurs when accelerating starting at 3K in all gears....
~gymply

r0de_runr

I'm convinced the 57's have a lot to do with it.  I put 57's in three different bikes, two 103's and one 110.  In at least one case, the pushrods were hitting the top of the pushrod cover.

Rock outs didn't help me one bit.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Y2KRKNG

Before you break any seals, get out the BBQ lighter and check the exhaust gaskets.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

PoorUB

The 57's are also known to cause a tick or knocking noise that travels back through the intake. Something to do with the valve timing and reversion, I forget. More noticeable with an open high performance air cleaner. I had a 103" with 57's that did it. It is nothing to worry about.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

gymply

Quote from: PoorUB on October 23, 2019, 03:52:45 PM
The 57's are also known to cause a tick or knocking noise that travels back through the intake. Something to do with the valve timing and reversion, I forget. More noticeable with an open high performance air cleaner. I had a 103" with 57's that did it. It is nothing to worry about.

I agree that the 57s are noisy. I noticed the intake noise you describe back when I first installed them. The noise I am hearing now is something new and different that has not been present before. It just recently developed...
~gymply

FXDBI

Are you vented thru the air cleaner or to the ground?   Bob

gymply

Quote from: FXDBI on October 23, 2019, 04:51:58 PM
Are you vented thru the air cleaner or to the ground?   Bob

Thru the AC. AC is the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather with no mods.

~gymply

gymply

~gymply

Frédéric CM

My 103 with 57H was doing the same (with rockout insert), then one day it decided to broke a valve spring retainer...